“Excellent value for money and a great hostel overall.” 5 of 5 stars

The Secret Garden Hostel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   ul. Skawinska 7, Krakow 31 066, Poland (Kazimierz)   |
Ranked #35 of 242 Hotels in Krakow
Lancaster, England, United Kingdom
“Excellent value for money and a great hostel overall.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2013

Got a great deal with this hostel, originally found it on Trip Advisor and it had great reviews so decided to go for it. Originally booked a private double room with a shared bathroom, but ended up getting a massive double room with its own bathroom on the top floor! Our deal also included breakfast, which is a small cold buffet and perfectly adequate for a hostel, was always well topped up and there's free tea and coffee to help yourself to throughout the day. Wifi is free to use and worked fine for us, although I think there may have been a router in our room! The location is fine, a little bit of a walk from the Old Town but right next to the Jewish District and there's a tram stop right at the end of the street so no problems there really. The staff were friendly and you can organise tours to Auschwitz and The Salt Mines at the desk there, and the bus picks you up from right outside the hostel. Overall a great experience and if I come back to Krakow I will definitely consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Didn't see any of the dorms or private rooms with shared bathrooms, but try and nab the room on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

I stayed in one of the apartments aug 2013 and it was great very clean and the one we were in had nice little garden washing machine etc, my girlfriend liked the apartment and was very impressed with the quality for the money.
I also stayed as a single traveller last year in the main hostel which was very good staff were great and the place felt very safe. the hostel is very well situated for the kazimerz and river and isn't that far from old town.
value for moey great and no problems with paying bill on either occasion (I notice one review said he had problem with poor exchange rate , I was charged in zloty and my bank did the exchange) my only slight negative was the walls quite thin so noise can carry but never had a problem with this and don't let this put you off as they don't take stag do's. having travelled both here both alone and as a couple next time I should come with a few friends as this is great hostel and great city. highly recommend

Room Tip: for a little more the apartment we stayed in was amazing value.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Very nice staff. Location was too far away from the city center. Only minus is that hostel don't have air condition, there were hot weather. Breakfast was good also. Next to hostel is little shop and pharmacy.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Zagreb, Croatia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

The apartment in Jozef's street is absolutely amazing, the interior is clean and modern and it really makes a pleasant stay. There is a nice and clean kitchen with a fridge and a beautiful bathroom. The apartment has 2 rooms with a king and a twin size bed in each.
The location is just great, right in the middle of Kazimires neighborhood and just a 15 minute walk from the Staro Miesto. The service at the reception desk was good and the overall impression was great.
The only problem we had about this apartment is how to find it. The address is Jozef's 6, but first you have to go to the Secret Garden Hostel reception at Skawinska 7 and I didn't know that.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Very nice clean hotel nice rooms and clean bathroom. great facilities free wifi and computer and tv room nice breakfast and very friendly and helpful staff would not hesitate to stay again and recommend to friends and family

• Stayed August 2013
Athens, Greece
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

The apartment 1 at Skawinska 20 was much better than we expected. It was very clean, well decorated and in a great location near the centre of Kazimiertz and Bistula river. The staff was very polite, the breakfast just o.k. Very good value for the money as we payed for three persons 60€ per night, breakfast included

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Durham, UK.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2013

I just didn't like this place at all. Several small things combined to make the whole experience a negative one for me. In isolation none would have really been a problem but added together they left me with a very poor impression of the place.

I stayed two nights independently, before staying for another two nights as part of a tour group. The specifics of the tour group booking I had no control over. The good points were that the rooms are of a decent size and there is a tram stop at the end of the street to make travelling around very easy. The bad points were that the pillows and bed linen were of the worst quality I have ever seen in any accommodation. The breakfast was very basic, and you were expected to clear away after yourself. The wifi would work for 10 minutes, then the connection would drop out for 10 minutes or more. After I completed my independent stay and checked back in a few hours later with my tour group booking, the lady on the desk refused to give me the metallic card for opening the gate saying that "we don't give them out to groups" (Why? I was still a paying customer) The reception is supposed to be 24-hour but when I went for an early morning run the next morning and rang the bell for the gate to be opened, no one opened it for several minutes. I suspected this would happen as they were probably not expecting people to be coming and going before 7am, which is why I was annoyed to be refused a card to open the gate. After having an en suite bathroom for my first two nights, five or six rooms were expected to share one bathroom when I joined my tour group.

In addition, The Secret Garden Hostel left a bad impression immediately after I arrived by charging me in British Pounds at their own hideous exchange rate instead of Polish złoty (the lady on the desk quoted the price to me in złoty before I handed over my card). Not crime of the century, but dishonest all the same as you have to give permission for this, and my receipt of course said I had. I wouldn't have given permission if I'd been asked, particularly because my card gives me the actual exchange rate with no fees. If they overcharge everyone in this way hoping that they won't notice, the profits will soon mount up.

Having said all of this, I know that this is a hostel and not a hotel, but I wouldn't stay here again even if it was free for the reasons outlined above. If you're prepared to make serious compromises in return for the fairly cheap price (although not as cheap as you think it will be if they charge you in the wrong currency at a rate to suit themselves) then fair enough but I wouldn't recommend staying here at all if you can afford to pay a little more.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Secret Garden Hostel? Share your experiences!