“Loved our private little studio” 4 of 5 stars

The Secret Garden Hostel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   ul. Skawinska 7, Krakow 31 066, Poland (Kazimierz)   |
Ranked #36 of 247 Hotels in Krakow
London, United Kingdom
“Loved our private little studio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed in the studio for 3 nights with my husband – 2 nights in Studio B and 1 night in Studio A (next door to each other). I chose this place as it’s in Kazimierz, the Jewish district, which is less touristy than the centre and were glad we did as we found much better places to eat and drink and enjoyed the sights more in this area. The studio is a few doors down from the hostel on Skawinska but was a little difficult to find as it’s through 3 security doors (please email me if you’d like directions!). It’s only a few minutes walk to the centre of Kazimierz, 10 minutes to Wawel Castle and 15 minutes to Main Square.

Both studios are excellent – very clean, modern, stylish and plush and everything we could have wanted – comfy double bed, kitchenette with dishwasher, a modern bathroom with hairdryer and they both lead out to a pretty garden. It was bliss to return to our cosy and warm studio after a day out in the cold snow and it even felt like there was under-floor heating. They both had a large flat screen TV but there were no English channels. The only difference between the studios was a very slight difference in the style (see my photos) and Studio A had a slightly smaller bathroom with no bath. Studio B had a bath as well as a washing machine.

It was nice that we were in our own private apartment rather than in a noisy hotel or hostel with lots of other people, although the hostel wasn’t really your typical hostel and was mostly older people. We had a basic complimentary breakfast in the main part of the hostel every morning which included cereal, toast, jams, ham, cheese, hard boiled eggs, yoghurts and hot drinks. There was no juice though which was a bit disappointing as I’m not keen on hot drinks and don’t like water with breakfast! There’s free wifi all over the hostel and in the studios it’s quicker than my own wifi at home!

There’s lots of information in the reception on what to do around Krakow including good maps and you can buy tram tickets from reception. I would double check on some things though as we asked if you needed to book the bus to Zakopane and they told us no and when we turned up at the bus station it turned out you did need to book in advance so we had a few problems. They also arranged a transfer to and from the airport for us which only cost 60zl (about £12).

Other than that for the price, location, amenities and wonderful rooms I would definitely recommend the studios – we loved them!

Room Tip: Both of the studios on Skawinska are lovely and more private - modern, stylish, cosy and warm.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Polish first
Bonn, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We stayed here over the Easter holiday. The hostel is situated at walking distance from the old town and castle, and public transport connections.

The rooms were super clean and the decor of each room was theme based. We loved the concept of the hostel. The common TV room with lots of books (but mainly Polish), some games and CDs/DVDs was nice to relax and chat with friends. There was no cleaning service for rooms, but it didn't matter to us.

The breakfast was very basic with confiture, bread, salads, cheese, meat-slices, bolied eggs, tea and coffee.There was always somebody on reception and they were super friendly and helpful. They also provided us the taxi service from airport to hotel for 60zl, which is reasonable. Also, they have recommendations for quiet some restaurants and pubs, which one could also find in the guide books.
Would stay again :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Aveiro
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The hostel is located on the Jewish Neighbourhood of Krakow, 10 minutes walking distance from the beatifull old town. We stayed in a double bed room. The room was big enough, clean and climatized. The bathroom also had reasonable size, excepting the bath which was a bit to narrow. The breakfast isn't great, but OK. There is also a nice living room with TV, DVD and computers with internet. Overall I thought the hostel had a fair price-quality relatioship.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Krakow, Poland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We booked a private double room with bathroom in this hostel using a 'Groupon Voucher'. If you're not aware of Groupon they are supposedly special offers by businesses to end users.

The offer was for the room plus breakfast and a bottle of wine, we were astounded to find that the price we paid for the special offer was almost 100 zloty more expensive than their usual rate for February. Admittedly the usual rate doesn't include the wine, but a 12 zloty bottle of red from Lidl should not mean an increase of almost 100 zloty.

The breakfast was really basic, bread, cereal, cheese and ham, nothing hot and not exactly Polish either.

The room itself was poor, the bed was ridiculously hard and only 3/4 size, not a double as advertised. The walls are paper thin, we could hear the snoring from next door, and every movement along the corridor.

We attempted to make a complaint about the small bed and the price and were told complaints only accepted in writing, nothing can be done at the time.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

I've booked a single room in hostel almost 1 mth ahead. Sent an email to request any color room except green. their reply was, all the rooms are taken and left only green room. I booked this single room hostel because of the beautiful pictures of pink, purple and all the colorful and cute rooms. So, this was a big disappointment.

The worst was after I saw the room. I was given a very cold, humble, not a single bit of cute or pretty... but a tasteless huge room with 2 bunk beds + single bed. I'm alone, I need a single room, I dont need 5 beds. Plus the room has some smell, not very clean smell and I have to borrow the air fresher from the bathroom to put in the room.

Wall was thin, I could hear kids playing and neighbor snoring. Probably bad luck. But its quite disappointing.

The hostel is not in a very pleasant area. However, to be fair, bathroom was very clean, breakfast was good, location is pretty convenient, the tram stop is near and there's a bakery that sells very nice cream pie. If you are a fussy traveler like me. This place is probably not for you or book your preferred room earlier.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Tarnobrzeg, Tarnobrzeg, Poland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

Almost ninety zloty per night, mid-week, mid-winter. Would hate to see the price in summer!! Over-priced, without a doubt. Wasn't even offered help with my luggage up two flights of stairs. Breakfast included? Forget it if you have any dietary preferences or requirements like gluten free or vegan. I could hear every sound the people in the rooms next door made. I even heard them snoring. Too much money for too little. The only saving grace is modern bathroom except that the shower is too small. Extremely disappointing.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

This hostel is a friendly welcoming place to stay in a great area of Krakow. The staff are helpful but not intrusive. The rooms are spacious and spotless. I really appreciated being able to help myself to tea and coffee at any time and the social spaces were really well kept. For getting about there are tram services at the end of the road and the hotel can supply tickets; in five minutes you are in the main square. Otherwise there are plenty of interesting places nearby; Kazimierz the old Jewish district for example. I also loved the fact there was no daily room service, i could tidy up my own things (or not) as I pleased. I will be back.

Room Tip: Room 24 Balmy Sage has steps down to sleeping area which may be tricky for some. Being at the end of...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Secret Garden Hostel? Share your experiences!