“A Rustic Stay in a Hostel” 3 of 5 stars

Orange Hostel Krakow
ul. Dietla 64, Krakow 31-039, Poland (Stare Miasto)   |
Ranked #110 of 309 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
USA
“A Rustic Stay in a Hostel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2010

Let’s start with the good. It is in a great location (Old Jewish Quarter) and about a 15-20 minute walk from Old Town. You can easily navigate to get to where you need to go and the staff is extremely helpful in that regard. In fact, one of the days we were in Krakow, we decided to visit Auschwitz and the staff gave us the name of the bus we needed to take and told us the duration of time that the whole endeavor would take. They also provided us with suggestions for area Polish restaurants and seemed excited that we wanted to see so much of their city.

The not so good. There are like four flights of old wooden stairs that have to be navigated to reach the hostel. Ok, I have a heavy bag and I was sweaty and exhausted after finally getting it all the way up to the top. (Gross, I know, but totally the truth.) Next. They couldn’t get my credit card to work the first day and I had to leave my passport until their machine was up and running on day two. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying. Last. Cleanliness. They do clean it but, not as well as they could. There is some black mold in some of the showers and a TON in the second shower (do not use!!). The first and fourth are better, but what if those are in use?! Be forewarned: they are push button showers. As in, they stay on for like six seconds before you have to push the button in again to restart the water. Also, the floors were a little sketch; they were dirty with all the day’s mud being tracked in by multiple guests. I’m sure they sweep it at some point during the day, but I couldn’t tell. And the bat. Yes, like a little fuzzy blind creature. I discovered him in the sitting room when I went to turn the light on. That was the first night, so I’m not sure if he stayed around because I refused to go in there again, but he was there when I got there and I did NOT bring him with me.

One more thing. You have to strip your own bed when you leave. Um, I’m paying you to take care of the hostel, which means cleaning, making the bed, stripping the bed… you know, the basics.

For the money, it was fine. And there was free wifi, so that kind of made up for it. If you’re on a budget and you can deal with some dirt and stairs, then you’ll be fine here. It all depends on what you want and what you can deal with. (Just don’t forget your bat catching net!)

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Polish first
Stoke-on-Trent
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2010

Enjoyed our stay, though most of it was spent having fun in the dorms. Great staff who are always remembered!

• Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends

Been to Orange Hostel Krakow? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Orange Hostel Krakow

Address: ul. Dietla 64, Krakow 31-039, Poland
Location: Poland > Southern Poland > Lesser Poland Province > Krakow > Stare Miasto , Wesoła Zachód
Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi )
Ranked #110 of 309 Specialty Lodging in Krakow
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with HostelWorld and HostelBookers so you can book your Orange Hostel Krakow reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Orange Hostel Krakow, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.