“Treated like a King & Queen” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Grodek
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   ul Na Grodku 4, Krakow 31-038, Poland (Stare Miasto)   |
Ranked #6 of 248 Hotels in Krakow
Dickinson
“Treated like a King & Queen”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2009

Out of 17 countries, we give Krakow #1, the Grodek was absolutely wonderful. The staff was more than friendly & helpful, we felt like family. The breakfast was more than expected. Our "Suite" was well worth the price. We never left the town for 2 1/2 weeks. we expected to take some side trips but found the town so enchanting, the Grodek so romantic.....I would return in a heart beat! In traveling 17 countries with ininieries that would kill most travelers, Krakow inspired us to throw our itinery out the window and just wonder slowly and admire. Consider Poland in January, it's beautiful. Buy the book on the town legands and you will be entertained endlessly discovering the places & discovering they still keep these marvelous legand alive today. We LOVED Poland!

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
  • Polish first
Wigan, Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Everyone says the same its well located, quiet, rooms spacious - so can't say anything more really, just wanted to add my recommendation of this hotel to anyone who wants to visit Krakow. Auchwitz and Salt Mines are a must when visiting, although Salt Mines not suitable if you have an issue walking.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2009

Hotel Grodek is just a short walk to the main square of the old city in Krakow, but it is in a quiet location as well. The decor is antique and charming and the rooms are well appointed and equipped. Breakfast is excellent and the restaurant also serves good dinners. Other good restaurants are an easy walk from the hotel as is public transportation. Staff was pleasant and helpful - we had no complaints about the Grodek which offers good rates as well as good accommodations. It certainly met our needs.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Haywards Heath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

I chose this hotel on the back of other "tripadviser" reports for a party of older people to enjoy Krakow. It certainly lived up to its reputation. It is conveniently tucked away in a cul de sac just 5 minutes away from the main shopping area of the old town. We were 25 mins from the airport (£7 pp return using a taxi firm identified on the internet) and the same firm organised a trip to Auschwitz with a 10% discount-("aroundkrakow.pl"). Everyone was pleased with the rooms - comfortable, well appointed (hairdriers, bathrobes, very reasonable priced mini bars, air conditioning, heated bathroom floors etc), and most of reasonable size. Service was very good and reception was extremely helpful in assisting in organising a walking tour (which proved to be excellent, informative and nicely paced) and good restaurants. First night we dined in the hotel and for 12 of us it was most reasonably priced with a good choice of menu, wine was a tad expensive, but we had a room to ourselves and enjoyed the ambience. Overall, we found our food and drink costs to be on the cheap side - the Zloty exchanging at 4.7 to £ - coffees and beers being around £1 to £1.50 in the old town area. Breakfast in the Grodek is a delight - hot and cold food, an abundance of tea/coffee etc. I always rate hotels by the standard of scrambled eggs - it was of a high standard and done with bacon. The hotel is well placed so it is easy to walk to most places of interest - 20 mins into the Jewish quarter and its quirky restaurants (the Aerial); 10/15 mins to the Wawel Castle. The hotel like Krakow is full of historical and quaint interest. We would all like to return in fact it merits a 4 night stay and not just 3.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2009

My husband and I had a long weekend begining of May. Grodek was my second choice - my first being Wentzl (on the square), but Wentzl would not confirm a PLN price only a Euro price and this was the time when the £ was getting weak. I made the right choice. Grodek was 2 mins walk from the square and approx 10 mins walk to Kazimierz district and was quiet. My email communications with the staff was always pleasant and I booked room 307. We had one annoyance but not a big deal really - we arranged a taxi with the hotel to pick us up from the airport - I even confirmed it the day before - when we arrived no taxi, I would have thought they would have managed this better. We did not have a drink in the hotel bar - in Poland you can still smoke in public places and for us as non-smokers it was unbearable. Breakfast was very good - scrambled eggs, poached eggs, eggy break, french toast etc,,,,,,, as well as the normal cheeses, hams, fruit etc,,,, BUT the staff are not particularly efficient - you will need to go up to them and tell them exacty what you want!
If there is one negative I would say the views from the hotel rooms are not particularly great.
I would stay at the Grodek again and I would recommend it to everyone.

Other info:
As far as eating - we found two fab resturants not far away, just off the square:

1. Trzy Papryczki - Fantastic little place, fresh pizza made for you - one of the best pizzas we have had. The entrance to this place has lots of advert cards for other resturants etc,,, - it is worth going to take a look as it offers % of meals and free drinks etc,,,,,
2. Can't remember this resturant name but it is next door to Trzy Papryczki

We also found one terrible resturant - The Piano Rouge. Fillet steak like bubble gum.

There are many resturants and bars around the sq. Most have 0.5l of draught beer for 8.50 - 10 PLN, wine by the glass is 100ml and is around the same price as the beer - there is one bar/resturant that takes advantage of tourists beyond acceptance - The piano Rouge. They only have a smal area for seating on the sq - sit at the next table with a different company and the price will be competitive with all other bars. THe cheaper bars seem to be on the side of the SQ where Wentzl hotel is - don't know why.

THe horse and carriage trips are great and very popular, however there are times when you can barter. 25mins from SQ to Castle and back - we were first quoted 140PLN and they would not budge on this price - but with another person we got it for 100PLN - it is worth asking several 'drivers' for best price. THere are also small electric cars that have tours. There are 3 areas - old city, Kazimierz district, Jewish Getto. We walked the Kazimierz and Jewish getto areas but go the electric car for the old city area which included the castle. It is rushed but an experience. The price is 120PLN for 1 area, 180PLN for 2 areas and 240PLN for all areas. They were offering 100PLN for one area which we took.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Reading, PA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2009

It all started just as the reviews suggested. The hotel is lovely. Our room (101) was small but charming. The breakfast was terrific. Three days into a six day stay, we awoke about 7:00 to find there was no electricity. Apparently, there was a small fire somewhere in the hotel (though no smoke or flames and no need to evacuate the rooms). After about an hour, we were told that the first floor would not have power for the rest of the day, and that we would need to move rooms. We were then told to wait about 15 minutes. The fire alarm (only in our room) then went off, so we moved to the lobby. After another 45 minutes or so, I asked about the status of our room and was told (not very politely) that it would be another 15 minutes or so. (At this point, we had not had showers or gotten ready for the day). Finally about 10:00, we were moved to another (more spacious) room on the second floor. We showered and changed and went out for the day. When we returned about 2:00, we got a phone call and were told that we would have to move again. The reason for the second shift was never clear to us. They said there was something wrong with the room next to the one we'd been shifted to, but how that affected our room was unclear. A woman came up about 5 minutes later to take us to room no. 3. I told her we had to repack so would need another 10 minute or so. She said they were giving us a bottle of wine for our troubles. She then left us the keys and left us to manage moving the baggage by ourselves. Room 3 was a tiny. There was barely space to move around the bed. I went to the desk and complained that we had been moved into a much smaller room than our original one and was told "I know you're upset madam, but we have had a lot of problems today." That did not seem a sufficient reason to us to have to spend the last 3 days (of a 6 day stay) in a room smaller than our original room. I told her that I wasn't happy and that I was letting her know before I wrote about it on the internet. She kind of shrugged. That night, we had dinner in the hotel. The manager came up to us and said she was sorry that we had been inconvenienced and that 50% of the cost of the dinner would be deducted from the bill. (The dining room was not expensive so the "compensation" for all the aggravation and the inferior room probably came to less than $50, and we were paying close to $1,000 to stay in that hotel for a week). The meal was mediocre, the absolute worst meal we had in Krakow. Whether it was because of the day's problems or just the restaurant, I don't know. I've gone into such detail because I want to be fair and because I did tell the management that I would be writing about this on the internet. Our experiences were not typical, I'm sure, but I know I would not use this hotel again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Lincolnshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

This hotel was an excellent find - very high quality at a fantastic price. The location was also perfect, not right on the main square, but about a minute or so away on a quiet cul-de-sac. I slept with the windows open and had no problem with noise. The rooms are considerably larger than the usual European standard and very tastefully decorated. The bathrooms were likewise spacious with heated floors and dual sinks. I did not try the made-to-order hot breakfast, but the buffet breakfast was more than adequate - good meat and cheese selection, fruit, cereal, bread, juices and coffee (freshly made to order). The service was great - very friendly and helpful. Excellent restaurants within a 1 min walk (but off the square itself). Handy ATM about 30 seconds walk.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo