“Surprisingly Beautiful Gardens” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #87 of 226 things to do in Krakow
More attraction details
Owner description: A beatiful and informative Botanical Gardens, a short walk from Old Town
York, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Surprisingly Beautiful Gardens”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2014

Normally I don't bother with botanical gardens. I visited these gardens on my last full day in Krakow only because I was running out of places to visit after a two week stay but it was well worth it. The flower displays looked spectacular on the beautiful sunny morning. The glasshouses full of tropical plants were particularly enjoyable and gave me a thirst to seek out more tropical glasshouses on my return to England. However, what made the visit so memorable was that for the first time in my life I saw with the naked eye a red squirrel. I'd seen grey squirrels back home in far less impressive gardens but never red squirrels. Naturally I took plenty of photos as it moved about and picked up a nut, then climbed a tree. The visit was worth it just to see the red squirrel!

Visited July 2014

• Polish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
46 attraction reviews
“Peace and tranquillity in the heart of the city”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

My daughter and I enjoyed the gardens on a warm sunny day in June. We thoroughly enjoyed walking round, admiring the wide variety of plants and trees. I loved the village garden and we were impressed by the palm houses. I would love to go back and spend more time looking at the beds of plants laid out by categories and labelled in Latin and Polish. Some I had never heard of, reminding me this is a historic garden and part of the Jagellonian University. There were school children visiting the garden when we were there. the enthusiasm of their teachers was obvious. There is no cafe, although icecream can be bought, so one could bring a picnic.

Visited June 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
“A Horticultural Treat”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2014

This makes a pleasant change from the standard tourist list of attractions. We found it thanks to some Tripadviser reviews and the all important 'map'. It was a little tricky and involved a bit of a walk around the periphery to get to the entrance although we left wiser and got back to our accomodation within 20 mins (Starowislna St).
The gardens are well set out with all plants, shrubs and trees labelled with their latin names.The palm house has many interesting plants and trees to wonder at. There are plenty of benches to stop for a rest ,you could even take a small picnic. There isn't a cafe but a drinks and snack dispenser and when we visited there was some sort of cold dessert stall.
The entrance fee was very reasonable at 7 zl and even less for a pensioner.
A lovely way to pass a few hours...

Visited July 2014
Paphos, Cyprus
8 attraction reviews
“A garden paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

The only down side to the gardens is finding it in the first place.
Best check web site for opening hours.
Located at the end of Kopernika no 27, opening in wall to your right just before you can see the glasshouses. No signs to say it's the entrance. If you get to the big main road you have walked to far. Take food and drink with you, as none to buy inside, only ice cream. Any gardener will be in seventh heaven, all specimens well labeled, so take a notebook or camera. Glasshouses a must to visit (closed on Fridays). Lots of seating to sit and ponder. Enjoy

Visited May 2014
5 attraction reviews
“Macro lovers paradise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

Botanical Garden of the Jagiellonian University is a really old place, you can feel that everywhere. For me this is a plus, for other it may be a minus. There are no descriptions, only names (in Polish and Latin).
We visited Garden in the opening day of season 2014, in the middle of April. Everything was blossoming, colorful flowers and light-green buds were stunning. I took over 300 photos :)
I think that this place may be also very nice for romantic walks.
Entry fee are low, there is not a time limit, you can spend whole day there, but in the beginning of the season there weren't any cafe nor place to buy something to drink of eat.

Visited April 2014