“Unforgettable stay in beautiful property” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel

You added Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Grand Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ul. Stawkowska 5/7, Krakow 31-014, Poland (Stare Miasto)   |
Ranked #110 of 248 Hotels in Krakow
Co Down, N Ireland
“Unforgettable stay in beautiful property”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We booked the hotel as a 60th birthday celebration for my partner, and I mentioned this when booking. The hotel very kindly upgraded us to the most magnificent suite, room 11, with fabulous painted ceilings, lots of space and light, a canopy over the enormous bed and a marble bathroom. We loved it.
The breakfasts were great - you can order eggs or an omelette, apart from that there is a good choice of hot and cold food, plenty of good coffee and little hot pancakes.
All staff without exception were friendly and helpful, the reception staff in particular are really good and there is always somebody there, 24/7.
If you're interested in seeing the old visitors' book with signatures and messages from Lech Walesa, Mrs Thatcher and Roman Polanski amongst others, ask the receptionist.
Room 11 was a wonderful suite, and all the suites and rooms are different. We were told that 15B is also a lovely room.
A brilliant weekend in a lovely hotel - definitely to be recommended.

Room Tip: Whatever room you have, close the windows to keep the street noise down.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Tadworth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We had a most enjoyable stay at this hotel. It is charming and very much old style. It is civilised and calm. Some may say it looks a bit tired, but it si charming and a change from "slick/odern"

It is categorised as a 5 star, which is pushing it, but on the basis of ranking as seen elsewhere. This is Krackow and not Dubai and certainly the prices are not what you would find in London for a 5 star hotel. To that extent some reviews are rather harsh in my view.

The room we had (67) was comfortable and spacious. The bath was not full size, but was more than adequate. Picking a room at the back of the hotel is important as other sids of the hotel face onto noisy streets - a downside of being so close (one minute's walk) to the main square. We had a bit of a walk to our room, in between lifts -- all part of the charm. Seek out a room on the third floor at the back of the hotel.

Breakfast provided an adequate fare.

Front of house was very nice and efficient. As check in is at 4pm and the London flight to Krackow arrives at midday, try asking for an early checkin. We did and we had no issues.

Wifi works and, unlike some other 5 star hotels, is free!
You need to book the spa in advance (to have the sauna heated). Pity they charge for it, albeit not very much.

We should be happy to return.

Room Tip: Seek out a room at the back of the hotel on the third floor.
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed here for a short weekend break in late November/early December. The staff are great and really want to help and look after you really well when they are able. The problem is that there are not enough of them on duty at the weekend, especially for busy breakfast periods when they cannot clear tables and re-stock buffet items quickly enough. This resulted in other guests clearing our table of a full tea pot and tea cups when we went to get some food from the buffet and a resulting row as they were not happy when they came back and found us re-seated. The staff were really upset that it had happened, apologised and sent us a bottle of wine. We were also offered breakfast in the mirror hall restaurant the following morning, however we did not do this as the restaurant was closed and to have asked staff to serve our breakfast there would have put more pressure on the undermanned breakfast room service staff and other guests.
The restaurant menu was very limited and we chose not to eat dinner or lunch here as there are so many excellent restaurants within a few minutes walk. Breakfast buffet was average and ok.
I asked in advanced for hypo-allergenic bedding as I am allergic to feathers. The only pillows they had were very compacted and extremely hard. This, compounded with the very noisy street outside and adjacent night club, meant that I did not sleep well for any of the three nights we stayed. Had we not paid in advance I would have changed hotel. I did ask for softer pillows but these were the only ones available. Another issue that made sleep difficult was that we had a double bed and the hotel only has single duvets, meaning that we kept getting tangled up or uncovered in the middle of the bed, which again disturbed us.
I have serious concerns about the temperature of the hot water in the hotel and was not able to get a satisfactory answer while we were there. My concerns were about the control of legionella bacteria, particularly as my companion has a lowered immune system and would be susceptible to legionnaires disease if no proper regime is in place. The approved code of practice for the control of legionella bacteria is that hot water is above 45 degrees centigrade, which is hot enough to scald someone and why many hotels have warning notices in bathrooms. The water was cold enough for me to hold my hand under at the end of running a bath (half an hour because the plug leaked almost as much water out as was coming in) and for me to sit in the bath immediately after filling it just using the hot water tap, with no cold. I advised my companion to only use the bath and not the shower to avoid inhaling aerosol droplets from the shower. The hotel reception told me that the water should be at the right temperature to control legionella but it patently was not, I asked for this to be adjusted and this did not happen, nor was the bath plug adjusted.
There is no where to smoke in the hotel and you have to stand in the street outside, I was insulted by one passer by for being a woman smoking in the street. I resent being placed in this position.
The table and chairs in the room were too big and impeded access to the bathroom at night.
The room safe was in the bottom of the wardrobe and you had to get on your hands and knees to use it, painful when you have arthritis.
The hotel provides a built in hairdryer of the type requiring you to hold the nozzle, it lacked power, took ages to dry my hair, it was impossible to style my hair using this machine and the nozzle became uncomfortably hot to hold when it got hot enough to be effective.
The hotel is very overdue renovation. Carpets are threadbare with the backing showing through in places. The lift is very slow and they do not seem to have a service lift as we had to wait for the housekeeping staff to finish with it before we could get in.
The noise from the street was excessive. Although you expect noise in a city centre hotel the 'Grand' hotel does not appear to have taken sufficient steps to reduce it to acceptable levels. The double glazing is of a type that deals only with temperature control and the gap between the panes is too small to allow for effective noise control. This could be addressed by the addition of triple glazing or providing guests with ear plugs. Noise from the corridor was also excessive as there are no noise damping measures here, just a narrow, thin carpet running the length of the corridor with parquet flooring providing the largest surface and no curtains at the windows in the hallways to damp the noise, allowing it to echo and reverberate.
There was dust on the lamp bases and other surfaces and the wall paper had been patched in five places in our room (35)
I wrote to the manager on Saturday, hoping that some of these issues could be addressed during our stay to make us more comfortable. I was told that there is no management on duty at weekends and this was why the breakfast room supervisor had been unable to increase staffing to the necessary level. The staff were excellent, there just weren't enough of them on duty for the numbers of guests at the weekend. On Monday morning there were so many receptionists on duty they seemed to have little to do. I have still had no response from the manager.
This hotel seems to me to be trading on past glories (real or imagined) and either needs to improve rapidly and dramatically or to drop a couple of stars, its advertising claims and its prices. It seems typical of a business that is making the wrong decisions about where to cut costs while maintaining prices, you cannot do both in the way the Grand Hotel and Palace is trying.

Room Tip: The rooms on St Tomasz street are quieter than those on the main street, not by much though. Higher...
home
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is a super traditional hotel close to the old town square so great location. Pleasant staff and very adequate buffet breakfast. Downside was our room. The room had clearly been used by heavy smokers and it stank as did the linen, towels etc. AND the room overlooked a side street containing a disco bar that was very very noisy until the early hours. We were assured that all rooms were non smoking but clearly some folk don't take any notice of that. Nice enough hotel but avoid the side overlooking the music bas as the double glazing doesn't keep out the noise.

Room Tip: Choose a room away from the music bar street
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for four nights and whilst it was clean and warm, it didn't cope with simple requests even when emailed two days before. Unhelpful receptionists and willing waitresses but totally undermined by clueless management. Great location.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2013

The Grand Hotel is a beautiful hotel in the old part of Krakow. It is just a few minutes walk to the Market Square. The Hotel is an old hotel and refurbished very nicely - Stained glass windows line the hallway to the rooms. The staff is extremely helpful to accommodate any of your wishes. I found my stay there very enjoyable. I hope you do too!

Room Tip: If you call the reservations desk, they will help you choose the room for you.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2013

I was very happy to spend some nights in this hotel. It is very close to the center, I really felt like a king in my nice decorated room. The rooms are very clean. Even, if its close to the center it is very calm and I advise you the breakfast

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple