“Worth the walk” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sanctuary of Divine Mercy

Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
Lagiewniki District, Krakow, Poland (Kleparz)
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 137 Attractions in Krakow
Type: Religious Sites
Attraction Details
Bryan, Texas
“Worth the walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2013

I went the first two weeks of June. We were told it would take twenty minutes by car so we were discouraged but we walked by a sign that said Divine Mercy Sanctuary and walked to it. It took us an hour. When we were walking up the hill we felt a peaceful, presence. Inside the beautiful peaceful grounds we saw the sisters walking around and then we saw the small chapel and went inside and saw the relic. We stayed for a while then returned by train. The next day I went by train. I got to pray the chaplet with the sisters at 3pm. It was a powerful 20 or so minutes of praying the chaplet with the sisters and lay people that filled the little chapel that made the trip worthwhile. Now at 8am my time I try to say the chaplet knowing that at 3pm the little chapel is full.

• Polish first
Richfield Springs, New York
6 attraction reviews
“A sacred and prayerful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

Especially good for Roman Catholics. Before leaving for Poland, I had in my heart the desire to visit this special place. I had just read the Diary of St. Faustina, and to be able to visit the small chapel where she had prayed and see her relic was very meaningful for me. We arrived just before the 3 p.m. hour and were able to listen as they sung and prayed the chaplet of Divine Mercy. So beautiful. A very peaceful place. We also peeked into the large modern church, but the small chapel was the best. We took a taxi from our hotel and this was a good choice for us.

Chicago, IL
13 attraction reviews
“a beautiful and sacred place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2013

We visited the small chapel with St Faustina's relic, the huge church and walked the beautiful grounds. Wished I could have spent more time there to pray and reflect. Several small shops to purchase religious books and goods. The small chapel was my favorite. I felt I was on holy ground.

Zurich, Switzerland
40 attraction reviews
“A modern sanctuary church with tower”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We visited this sanctuary church and went up to the viewing points in the tower which provide a panoramic view of Krakow and surrounding. Nearby is the Chapel of Sr. Saint Faustina. Being catholic, we felt the peace of mind of this holy place.

Regular Holy Masses in the Lagiewniki Sanctuary of Divine Mercy
Every Sunday and on church holidays the faithful may hear Holy Mass in the sanctuary's spacious modern basilica at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., noon, 1:30 p.m., 3:20 p.m., and 6 p.m. On weekdays and on Saturdays the service takes place at 9 a.m., 10 a.m., 3:20 p.m., and 6 p.m.

Visited May 2013
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Sanctuary of Divine Mercy -- a Place of Miracles”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

The Sanctuary of Divine Mercy is a must see place when visiting Kraków, especially for Roman Catholics. It is located in the Łagiewniki district and can be reached by a number of trams from city center, #8 being one of them.

The complex is quite large and contains, in part, the small Chapel of Saint Faustyna Kowalska, with her remains resting on the altar below the painting of Divine Mercy -- as well as her relics; a big modern Basilica to accommodate large crowds and pilgrimages; a tower topped by a statue of Blessed Pope John Paul II adjacent to the Basilica, a cemetery; the convent of the Congregation of the Sisters of Our Lady of Mercy; an hotel managed by the sisters to accommodate overnight guests, conferences, and pilgrimages; a bookstore/souvenir shop; and a restaurant. In one of the buildings, a replica of Saint Faustyna’s cell (bedroom) and her personal belongings may be seen. Until recently one could visit the room, touch some of the objects, and ring the bell that Jesus rang when He appeared to the young Sister Faustyna Kowalska. Now the room is glass-enclosed, as is the bell. For a złoty or two one can hear Saint Faustyna’s story on headphones by selecting the appropriate language. The imposing statue of Blessed John Paul II appears at the “prow of a ship” and has a dove in flight on his hand. From the top of the tower one can see a view of Kraków and the construction of a new and massive Sanctuary of Blessed John Paul II to be completed in 2015 (the completed part can be visited now). The lower part of the Basilica has a number of beautiful chapels, confession rooms.

Why the label “A Place of Miracles”? First, to be canonized one must be credited with two miracles, of which Saint Faustyna had many. Second, while we were in the small Chapel of Saint Faustyna during our first visit, I prayed to Divine Mercy to restore my wife’s health. Besides my prayer, I asked Sister Diana and the other nuns to continue praying for her during the congregation’s daily recitations of the Divine Mercy Chaplet, especially at 3:00 P.M., the time designated by Jesus to the young nun. One year prior to our first visit to Divine Mercy Sanctuary, a virus destroyed 90% of my wife’s heart, and she was left with an ejection fraction of only 10%. Every year until that prayer in the Chapel, the ejection fraction rate remained the same. Within a month after our return home, my wife went for her pre-scheduled semi-annual echocardiogram. To our surprise the ejection fraction spiked to 60%, which is a normal rate for a healthy heart. When she received the results, she called the cardiologist to check if that might have been an error. He replied that he had the same question and checked and double-checked the results: THEY WERE CORRECT. He asked her what lifestyle change had she made since he did not alter the medications. Her reply was simply, “Prayers to Divine Mercy”. He asserted that had to be the answer and reminded her that he had advised her at the hospital, when he first visited her, that prayers were #1, doctors and medicine were tied for #2. The cardiologist is not Roman Catholic; he is Russian Orthodox. From a prognosis of a maximum 5-year life expectancy, presently surpassing 9 years, and now being told that there is every reason to expect surviving to a “normal old age”, it is a miracle.

Since 2004, we visited Divine Mercy Sanctuary four times, and this month we were also fortunate to visit the completed part of the magnificent Blessed John Paul II Sanctuary.

Visited October 2012