“Krakow's Historic centre and Jewish Area” 4 of 5 stars

More attraction details
Attraction Details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The 13th century merchants' town is home to Europe's largest market square and offers numerous historical houses, palaces and churches with magnificent interiors, 14th century fortifications, ancient synagogues, Jagiellonian University and the Gothic cathedral where the kings of Poland were buried.
London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Krakow's Historic centre and Jewish Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I went with a friend to Krakow primarily in order to visit Auschwitz (that's another story). However, we found that the city is very well served by little electric buggies which have tourist information on loudspeakers. Our guide also spoke excellent English and she took us all around the historic Jewish Area which was very well preserved and interesting, particularly, of course, the story of the Ghetto and the horrors of the Holocaust. We were very pleasantly surprised by the beautiful square, actually a horse-shoe shape, which is surrounded by large pavement restaurants and cafes. As it was October, there were even blankets waiting on the chairs to cover your legs in the evening. We felt very safe to walk around at night and found all the people charming and helpful. We stayed at the excellent Metropolitan. Couldn't fault it.

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Nicosia
112 attraction reviews
“A great surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

When we arrived in Krakow we did not exactly know what to expect. We had been therefore pleasantly surprised by this unexpected beautiful little town with the very well preserved historic center. It is not that difficult to walk around it and feel the city's atmosphere. Just do it and you will not regret it. Highlight, of the historic center, the central square. Enjoy!

Visited December 2012
Washingtonville, New York
28 attraction reviews
“Absolutely Fantastic.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

As I packed my bags (I came with one and was leaving with two full ones!) and readied for departure on Saturday, the thought crossed my mind that I very well might never be back to Krakow, certainly not for want of desire, but just because as life often has a way of working out, you never know where you're going to end up. And with that thought came a real sadness, because Krakow really was an absolutely charming city (and one defined almost entirely by its historic centre).

I arrived with zero prior conception of what to expect, zero. So when I made my first trek from Kazimierz (where my hostel was) up to the square, I was immediately quite taken. Mind you, the first real item of note was an enormous castle (Wawel), which being lit for nighttime was doubly impressive. The walk that followed up several mainly pedestrian streets only further supported a growing liking for the city. Over the course of my stay, I ended up making that walk countless times and by the time I was walking it for the final time on Saturday night, I realized that whether I return or not, the experience was one that I'll never forget. Can't recommend the city enough.

Mcr
“Historic centre”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Spent 4 days in krakow , what a fab city . Lots of bars cafes and places to eat . The people are friendly and helpful . Bars get busy late at night but no trouble even though the alcohol is cheap. Walking around at night is safe and during the day it can get busy but never mind just pop into a cafe for a beer or coffee and people watch for an hour. We will be back.

San Francisco
25 attraction reviews
“Well maintained medieval treasure”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

It's the largest town square in all of Europe we were told. It feels friendly and safe even in the evening and there's always something going on. Horse drawn carriages take small groups for a tour of the downtown areas while a flower and food market is occurring in the middle and shoppers are scurrying around. Restaurants abound and the shops offer reasonably priced goods. I want to return soon!