“Not worth the price!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #60 of 76 Hotels in Gdansk
Oslo, Norway
“Not worth the price!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

Small pretentious hotel, far too expensive for its standard. We had booked three separate rooms, but naively accepted an offer for "one big apartment of course in the same price!". It was big and had telly, but also flaking paint, loose and even unconnected electrical couplings, many lights the rooms and staircase not working, one shower only for three men and we had to wait a couple of days before soap was delivered to one of the two toilets. There was also a small roof terrace, with grubby artificial grass floor, a table worn by all sorts of weather, ome electrical lights, most damaged, and few chairs, one of which was also damaged. On the plus side, the receiption area was modern, most staff friendly the breakfast excellent (at 10 euro it should be!) and the location perfect. But you'll easily find cheaper hotels of at least the same standard and location. It was our first and last visit to PicaPaca.

Room Tip: Avoid their "one big apartment of course in the same price!" trick. You just end up paying...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2011

Stayed here for three nights in December 2011. We booked the Pablo Picasso apartment for five of us. On arrival we were told that this was unavailable and we were put in Frank Sinatra instead, which appeared from what I've seen of the floorplan to be the same, so no issue here really.

Apartment was very nice and spacious. Was a bit of a trek from the hotel entrance, up three floors, outside again (somehow still at ground level... never did understand that!), and along a little street. Had everything you need. Could have used another shower maybe since there were five of us (and it can sleep up to 8), but what there was was very clean and pleasant. Only minor niggles I could pick at really was the lack of pillows (only one each, and it wasn't that thick) and the curtains were a little flimsy which I can imagine would be annoying in summer, but is fine in winter.

I stayed last year at Willa Biala Lilia, and did say on my review for that that if I returned to Gdansk I'd go there again, but changed due to more people going and wanting an apartment. This was right next to Biala Lilia so I knew my way around from last time. It's very very close to the Old Town, about two minutes walk to the main gate. Wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if on a group trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2011

We stayex at Pica Paca. The hotel is stylish and beautiful. However, there is an all- night karaoke bar around the corner which is very loud. Air con is not available or damaged so you have the choice of being in an oven or in a karaoke bar in the night .....

• Stayed October 2011
Tring
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2011

I travel a lot and leave a lot of reviews, I try to be fair with my feedback.
Overall the place is great, excellent location a few steps from lots of bars, markets, street theater etc.
The hotel is clean, on the down side we booked a three bedroom apartment which we could not have when we arrived, they did however give us three rooms at the price of the of the apartment so we were compensated.
The curtains however were very thin and let in light early in the morning, the pillows were also too thin and no spare ones in the room.
We were out the from so the noise from the building site over the road was loud even though we stayed on a Friday night and did not expect to hear the workmen at 8.00A.M.
Our friend had a room out the back and it was much quieter, although thin curtains.
Staff were helpful and cheerful which more then made up for the other stuff.

Room Tip: Needs blackout blinds
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Helsinki - Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

Our family (2 children age 6 and 3) stayed at Pica Paca in Gdansk on a business trip. We did the reservation through Booking.com and specifically requested and reserved a familyroom for four people.

Location of the hotel is just across the bridge from the Old town main market, literally a block away from the tourist attractions, but if you are travelling with a car, finding the hotel without a navigator might be a challenge. The appearance of the street is a bit shady due to a construction/restauration site (no noises from the site though), but there are several similar cozy hotels on the same alley though. The hotel also has a few indoor parking spots in a secure garage for a minor fee.

When we found the hotel we were faced with a minor disappointment, our family room reservation had been changed into two separate room, one on the second floor and the other on the fourth floor. The evening manager was extremely helpful, we squeezed two extra beds into one room and the hotel provided us with free b-fast and a good discount of the price.

Our room was very simple, clean, no extras and no air conditioning but a free wireless internet connection. The breakfast was very homely and enough for our family.

The reception closes at 22:00 hrs and open up again in the morning.

Besides the problem with our reservation the location was very convenient, our room was clean and the breakfast was decent. I would not have a problem staying here another time.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
HERTS
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2011

I travel a fair bit both for leisure and a little for work, so I feel that I have experienced the best and worst the hotel industry can throw at a traveller. My stay at the Pica started well with the receptionist allowing us to check in to the apartment at 10:00 a.m. - we were only going to ask to leave our bags!!

The location of the apartments are brilliant a very short stroll to main streets of the Old Part of Gdansk and a short taxi ride to the lively area of Sopot (around £20 each way). The rooms are very well decorated with all of the necessities provided. I was concerned that a large group sharing a shower room may get a little messy, but it is at such a high standard it was hard to notice whether someone else had been in. The kitchen and communal area was great and meant we never felt like we were on top of each other. What topped it off was the roof terrace, which was a great and unexpected addition.

I thought that value was brilliant and as it is not a chain the team at Pica Paca really do care about your stay, providing advice about the area and things to do and to also look out for. What clinched it for me was arranging for an item left behind by the group to be sent back to the UK!!!

I just wanted to write a recommendation as I honestly believe this is a brilliant little find with a cracking team, which everyone should give a try!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Pablo Picasso
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2011

I spend here 3 nights during my working trip (meeting was in another hotel) and I was very satisfied. Hotel can offer garage parking, service is very helpfull and help me with everything I need and help me to find everything I need in town. Room (Galileo Galilei) was clean and in great condition. Breakfast is quite small, but i was satisfied. Price was very good (85 eur per night + garage cca 6 eur). Free internet is also plus.

Room Tip: Galileo galilei is in quieter side of hotel
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to Pica Paca Hotel? Share your experiences!