“A bit of a let down” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 74 Hotels in Gdansk
Tonsberg, Norway
“A bit of a let down”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2012

We looked forward to staying at this hotel for a while now. We departed from our standard plan to only stay at 5 star hotels, and payed the price for it. The room was great looking but the maids need to be trained. the floors were dirty. The bedding appeared to have strange fluid stains, When we asked to be moved the maid came to our room and said it'll be the same at the next room. They only have 1 set of Top bedding and down change or wash it very often. This is a 4 star hotel so they claim, its lovely in the perfect location, but they could spend a little bit more on cleaning and really change every piece of bedding for new guests. I will not stay there again, nor at anything less than 5 stars in Poland, We wanted this hotel because the furniture is old and classy just didn't expect the bedding to be as well

Room Tip: Remove the top bedding, and insist on a clean room, its a lovely quiet place but make them do it rig...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

I debated which hotel to book in Gdansk for a few weeks. Wanting something nice, conveniently located and not too expensive. Eventually I chose this over some of the apartments on offer and so glad I did!

About a 15 minute walk from the bus stop from the airport/train station - it was easy enough to get to. When we arrived in Gdansk airport we decided to get the bus (about 5 PLN for 2 people instead of an 80 PLN taxi). When we thought we arrived in the old town we got off and paid for a taxi (20 PLN) as we thought it was easier than walking around trying to find the hotel.

Upon walking onto the main street in the old town where Holland House is situated I was shocked - it is so beautiful! The hotel is right in the heart of this. We checked in early which wasn't a problem to the hotel and from that moment onward the hotel staff couldn't have been more helpful! They hand-wrote directions to the train station so we could go to Sopot (about 30 mins away) for the day, printed bus timetables so we could go the Stutthof (the concentration camp - about an hour away), printed our boarding passes for the flight home, booked a taxi for us. They were a perfect example of fantastic customer service.

The hotel itself was really nice, a good mix of traditional decor with modern features. Clean, comfortable and spacious. Comfy beds and quiet meant we slept really well too. I enjoyed being able to people watch over the main street from our bedroom!

Also - you get 10% off at the restaurant below the hotel.

This was our first trip to Poland and I really enjoyed it, I think Holland House played a big part of this. Definately recommened.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2012

Just come back after a lovely weekend in Gdansk. The Holland House hotel was the best place to book as it was in the centre of the Old Town and all the shops, cafes, restaurants and clubs were just a short walk away. The hotel itself is really nice, with big trendy rooms and huge bathrooms. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was yummy and good choice of food even late in the morning. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: 4th floor gives you a nice view of the Long Market but you can't here the noise from it :-)
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Liverpool, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Never been to Poland before, Stay Poland found us this hotel in the heart of Old Town Gdansk. Staff were so friendly and helpful. Room was huge and kept very warm (temperatures at the time were quite cold). Breakfast was basic but great to get you started. Only downside was that being a typical english girl I missed my tea first thing in the morning as there were no tea/coffe making facilities in the room, but for those who love mini-bars the room was perfect. Definitely go again.

Room Tip: We were travelling as three women together so getting a tripple room was difficult, however, Holland...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Yes, the location of Holland House is perfect, my room was comfortable & stylish and, the staff, especially Marek on Reception, were very helpful and friendly. I was lucky to have sunny weather both days - despite the odd icy Baltic blast! Gdansk is smaller than I expected and, it is easy to find your way around and, as a solo traveller, I felt very safe. I chose to eat in the restaurant downstairs from the hotel, as the food and service were great - worth noting, that as a hotel resident, you get 10% off the bill. On arrival at Gdansk Lech Walesa Airport I got a taxi - perfect trip with a metered fare & receipt, unfortunately the driver's telephone number was not on the receipt - fare 53 Zloty to the hotel, so I gave him 60 Zl ... Holland House can get you a taxi on departure - the company is a lot more upmarket & the price reflects this ... so, if you get a good taxi driver on arrival, get his number - there is an airport bus alternative, which I will try next time! Another tip - I changed my pounds to Zloty at the Post Office in London - take only the minimum for the taxi/bus as, if you change your money with one of the local 'Kantors' (loads in the main street of Dlugi Targ) the rate of exchange is LOADS better! Breakfast in the hotel was OK - off season it is definitely a good idea to book this, however, I'm sure there are a lot more places open in high season. I had a couple of issues which, when I spoke to the Manager, were dealt with immediately - so I can happily recommend staying at Holland House!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2012

This hotel is situated in a prime location, right on the main street of tourist interest. It is a mere 15 minute walk from the railway station (ie where the airport bus No 210 arrives). My room was really clean and had every amenity. Staff were always pleasant and helpful. I can find no fault whatsoever. I paid everything up front before I arrived and felt that was enough. I would just warn that, on checking out, I was told I had to pay 8 zloty local tax. Not a huge amount, but make sure you have it in loose change! Would have been helpful if I had been warned.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Strasbourg, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

Perfect location in the centre of the old town, and you can walk from the station (we arrived by train) in about 15 minutes. Stylish rooms, thoughtful conversion of an impressive building, and good use of space. Our bathroom had a corner bath. We were very comfortable there, a good breakfast was included, as was free wifi, and the staff were friendly and spoke good English. We had a premium room with three floor-to-ceiling windows, but even so the price was reasonable. Visit Gdansk, you will not be disappointed, and stay at the Holland House when you do. The only slight criticism was that the room was cold when we arrived - but that was rectified by the next morning.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Holland House Residence? Share your experiences!