“Decent choice right next to the main square” 4 of 5 stars

Pension Na Hrade
Michalska 4, Olomouc 779 00 , Czech Republic   |
Ranked #5 of 28 Olomouc B&B and Inns
St. John's, Canada
“Decent choice right next to the main square”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights in June 2012. The hotel was clean and safe. I stayed on the top floor which is a bit like an attic. The room got very hot during the day. Like a previous reviewer, I too found condoms in the bedside table. The garden/patio behind the hotel is lovely. The hotel is very quiet. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

This is my first review on Tripadvisor and I usually don't comment on hotels but this time I have a very personal and urgent need to write as I am from Olomouc and return there every year to meet my family and friends. This time I booked Na Hrade together with my husband and 2 little children. We booked the largest room in the penzion, which sleeps 4. The location is fantastic and you are literally 10 steps from the main square. The penzion itself is refurbished in the typical post-comunistic style with tiles everywhere which makes the communal area very noisy. Our room was very simply furbished and quiet only the church bells woke us up every day at 8am. The most shocking experience however awaited us on arrival at 10pm when I tried to put the kids to bed, I noticed that the beds have not been changed!!! The bedding had traces of lipstick and make-up. I called the reception and they asked me if I wanted them to change it??? In the end I ended up making the beds together with the receptionist who is the only member of staff I have ever seen it this place. Not a good start although we got an apology in the form of a fruit basket the next morning. Then we found packets of condoms in the bed side tables. So, I ask, who are these rooms marketed to??? Surely not families! The room service was non-existent and in 4 days nobody even bothered to empty our bins or remove dirty glasses let alone make our beds. The bathroom only has a shower which is difficult with small kids and the cleanliness overall is not good, with lots of dust behind the toilet and limescale everywhere. The penzion's terrace which is lovely cannot be used after 10pm not even for a quiet conversation because of a troublesome neighbour. So overall not a very pleasant experience and we did not feel the high rates were substantiated. Also the breakfast area is tiny with only 3 tables in so we struggled to fit the whole family in at one time. I would not recommend this place and we will not come again unless they improve their act.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Golden, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Looking at the pension from the steep, narrow, old street it is on is quite misleading. However, open the front door and it is quite a wonderful surprise. We had a huge room and bathroom with a great shower (bring your own washcloth because none is furnished). Super clean! Really close to the main shopping/restaurant square. Breakfast is included. Street parking for the car is a half block away -- free overnight but then you pay after 9:00 a.m. Recommended! Largest room we stayed in while in CZ.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
San Diego, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

I stayed in a room on the third floor in early/mid June 2011. The room was not large, but it was very clean with a little refrigerator, TV and a pretty modern air conditioner that you could set the temperature or choose only to have the fan. I am a very light sleeper and did not have any problems with noise, although there was a church bell occaisonally. It was in a great location - a couple blocks off the square from little old-fashioned cobblestone streets - and I did not hear any noise from the square. The bed was very comfortable and there was a small table and chairs in the room as well. I really enjoyed the room. It might have felt a little smaller if my husband had been there as well.

The breakfast was a typical Czech breakfast with eggs, meat, cheese and breads. There was some yogurt and cereal as well plus tea or coffee. There did seem to be a shortgage of tables (4 tables maybe?) for the number of rooms, but I went and ran an errand while others finished and then came back for breakfast. You could also go to the outdoor patio.

Olomouc is a nice little city with a day or two of sights in the city itself and then a variety of choices for day trips. The hotel was easy to get to from the tram stop - only a couple of blocks walk and easy access to everything. I would definitely recommend for an affordable pension.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Prague, Czech Republic
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

Before we came to Olomouc, I studied the penzion's website, carefully selected a room and made reservation. In very short time, I received confirmation and was looking forward to go there. But... instead of selected and booked room number 6, we received room number 1, which is located right next to the reception. It was a bit noisy there. Please be careful and double check if you get the room you actually booked.

The fridge didn't contain the amount of drinks it should (there is a list and you'll be charged to use anything from there). Moreover, there were 2 pieces of some sort of meat, most probably leftovers, removed by request by the receptionist.

Otherwise the penzion is nicely located, rooms seem to be small but comfortable, with air conditioner. Provided breakfast was good.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Bruntal, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

Im am a Czech living curently outside of my country who used to work in HoReCa in and outside of the CZ in the past and unfortunately I have to say that this place suffers all the typically Czech diseases the Czech accommodating capacities sometimes suffer.
I used to live and study in Olomouc, just like my sister. To celebrate our big birthdays (mine 30th and my sister's 40th, I wanted to give ourselves a day and night there simply to enjoy the atmosphere and the places without being in need to rush away in the evening. This is why I was looking for a cozy yet intimate pension inside of the historical quartier and I did not want to stay in a high quality yet anonymous hotels such as Alley or an NH. I hoped to receive certain attitude in a place advertising to have four star services.
To start with, the pension absolutely failed in cooperation to arrange a very little and simple thing to surprise my sister - to arrange a bottle of a bubbly in a cooler and nice glasses into the room. I arrived to the place shortly before my sister to make sure that it was done. Off course it was not! Moreover, the pension didnt have any sekt whatsoever although they claim to have a winebar in the hotel. I ran out to buy it in a neighbourhood pub to find out that they even do not have proper sekt glasses. Does this sound like a four star place? Not to me!
Okay, this was a sort of personal disappointment. However, it shows certain level lacking.
What is more important is the staff of the place. The girls, all three of them, were just terrible. Beeping like mouse one of them, unable to make the simple payment with credit card for three times!!!! this all when time was running, because I wanted to go out to get the bubbly, she made me to pay in advance like in some hostel, although, technically, they had had my credit card date via booking.com - I could not have escaped without paying....Beeping like a mouse, unprofessional, trying to put the blame on here colleagues, why there was no sekt. Going to show the guersts the room to humiliate them with a suspicision they do not know how to switch on the hairdryer and open the tap.The other girl then during the breakfast which was a disaster. The said buffet breakfast looks as follows: you arrive, there is one decilittle of juice left, no ccrambled eggs, no ham, coffeee awful in taste and cold, no water to make tee left. You have to ask basically for EVERYTHING. You ask and the girl makes an awful face and adds two decilitres of juice, half a litre of water after ten minutes, she makes two scrambled eggs and adds two slices of ham and of cheese. Saying this, check on the number of the beds in the pension and imagine the place was complete. People were arriving to the preakfast to find out this.
The pension itself has an excellent location, is very nicely furnished, is romantic, has comfortable beds with great matresses, moreover it is spotlessly clean. But, the people running the place must be awful because the hire and train the people. And they tell them to keept the breakfast buffet empty. It must be their strategy indeed! (I remeber my own boss in the CZ and the blatant difference in attitude to the guest in the US and in the Netherlands). This for a very high price for a city of the size of Olomouce and prices usual in our country. SHortly said. you may stay there for the location and nice furniture. But do not stay tere for friendly staff and a nice breakfast.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

After quite a bit of reading on the net we settled on this pension and picked room 2 especially as it had more window space & a bit larger. Our host had obviously encountered booking problems & initially led us to another room. When we resisted we were told room 2 was not ready & we had to wait an hour for cleaning- we used this to go and eat a late lunch. After settling we then received a call asking us to move to another room. After negotiations we agreed to move only to receive another call 30 minutes later to confirm our original booking!
The room is fantastically equipped-a big comfortable bed, excellent modern bathroom, wired internet, satellite tv, safe & air con if required. Location is about a 2 minute walk from the square & breakfast presided over by a variety of generally inattentive young ladies was just ok and hot coffee was not guaranteed.
Although the owners had printed up a info & rules booklet in 7 languages them & staff were not too interested in enforcing the noise problem of the terrace-poor insulation at the back of the building meant the noise from late drinkers (at midnight one night) and the staff and owner having their 1st smoke, coffee & loud conversation at 6.15am one morning (reacted well to our yell from our window!) carried at the back rooms.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple