“Perfect laid-back, comfy hostel!” 5 of 5 stars

You added Poets Corner Hostel Olomouc to your Saves list
Poets Corner Hostel Olomouc
Sokolska 1, Olomouc 77900, Czech Republic   |
Athens, Georgia
“Perfect laid-back, comfy hostel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2010

I stayed at the Poets' Corner for two nights, and it was a splendid choice. You may be a bit dubious when you first approach the nondescript door and have to climb five flights of stairs, but once inside you'll feel absolutely at home with the colorful walls, second-hand furniture and informative owner/manager Francie. The bedrooms are quiet, full of character and comfortable, and the living room is a wealth of information. The kitchen is cozy and perfect for a pot of morning coffee, and so is the little balcony. This is NOT a party hostel full of drunken travelers boozing it up, and that's great for those of us who've passed our mid-twenties... One of the finest examples of what a hostel can offer, and one of my favorites after years of travel.

And Francie's right, Olomouc is definitely worth more than a day or two... there's a lot to see in and around such a modest town!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Oxford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2009

This place is not very attractive as you approach it on the street and there a load of stairs to climb, but it's my favourite hostel ever. It's nicely decorated, non-smoking and the location is perfect; right in the centre of the city near a supermarket and some good little cafes. The thing I liked most was the attention to detail. The curtains cover the windows the whole way, there's a little shelf next to each bed, the beds don't squeak or rock and there are fresh herbs growing on the kitchen windowsill. None of that is rocket science but how many places actually get it right? Also, the owners and staff always offer to take people along on their outings. While I was there I saw a pre-season ice hockey game for next to nothing, went swimming in an old quarry and got taken to the coolest student bar that I never would have found alone. Brilliant!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
nottingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2009

We were treated very disrespectfully at this hostel.Didn't break any rules-that we know of-but the australian guy who seems to run the place seemed quite arrogant.He seemed OK when we arrived but after that not friendly at all.
also we had to climb stairs forever and ever.We were already tired when we arrived and returned the next day also.Exercise is good I guess.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
InfoPoet, Owner at Poets Corner Hostel Olomouc, responded to this review, August 13, 2010
I’m Francie, co-owner of Poets’ Corner Hostel. This ‘guest review’ was written by someone who we had to ask to leave the hostel several years ago. He has recently made quite a project of reviewing our hostel on several websites to try to give it, and particularly Greg, a bad reputation. Some other websites like the Lonely Planet forum have even seen fit to ban him. I hope that anyone reading this comment will take it with a grain of salt. Our hostel isn’t for people to live in while they teach English and no matter how long any guest stays, if we receive as many complaints from other guests as we did about this guy, then we have to do something about it.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2009

Normally, I am not one to rave about hostels. Actually, normally I do my best to avoid them. But the three nights we had in Olomouc were great. It is a really beautiful and peaceful place, and I think

The staff at Poets helped us out alot. Niki is super friendly and even let me pitch my tent on the roof to dry it. Greg (the owner) ran a top walking tour of the Old Town. We stayed downstairs in a double room (the hostel is two levels in an apartment building, I think the dorms might be upstairs and the private rooms dowstairs?) but it was very clean and best of all quiet! I am sick of being woken up at 3am in hostels by drunk wankers, but this is not the scene at poets at all.

Location is good, walking distance to the main squares and across the rd from a good super market (full of 30 kinds of Czech beer!) I think from the train station you can get a tram to the hostel, but we just took a taxi (only 80-100 Kr I think).

Poets corner, a tick in every box!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2009

Poet's is a great hostel, with friendly and welcoming staff, in a quiet and beautiful city. I've stayed at Poet's a number of times - 3 weeks during the summer of 2006 - and more recently during weekends in Olomouc in March 2009. The only thing that has changed is a few faces of the staff and they now have wifi. As always, the staff wanted to make my stay as comfortable as possible. They give everyone a great little map of Olomouc with the best restaurants, bars, and other necessities. Their book of daytrips and other activities was a great help in deciding how to fill my days. Olomouc the city is beautiful and relaxing and a great place to visit.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
TravelingSong
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2009

We stayed at the Poet's Corner during a 7 week trip through parts of Europe and Africa. We had just come by train from Prague and found Olomouc to be charming and beautiful (cooler astronomical clock than the one in Prague, in my opinion). Poet's corner is very centrally located and easy to find. It's a quirky place, which is generally what I like about hostels--the decor was funky and colorful, our hosts were knowledgeable and informative, and our room was spacious. We had a wonderful time checking out different parts of the town--it's worth going for a walk and discovering all of the gothic architecture, which is really close to the hostel. They recommended some great restaurants as well as a funky little wine bar and an awesome cafe for breakfasts. We also rented bikes from the hostel and went exploring some of the nearby towns. This was one of the highlights of my entire 7 week trip--they can give you a map and explain exactly how to get around and what is worth seeing. While Olomouc is certainly smaller than Prague, it still has a whiff of a touristy vibe, what with a McDonalds smack in the center of town. But ride a bike to some neighboring areas and you will really get off of the beaten track. No one spoke English and we had a very interesting train incident on our way back to town which involved charades and drawing pictures. I would highly recommend both Olomouc and Poet's corner to anyone looking for something a little different. My only complaints were that we had to lug our bags up way too many stairs and that there was only one bathroom. But hey, it's a hostel, that's what you get. All of the little quirks are part of the adventure.

• Liked — Location, view of red church from our window, bike rentals, staff, decor
  • Disliked — Stairs, bathroom
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Middlesex, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2008

We got back yesterday from 2 nights in Bratislava followed by 2 in Olomouc. Having been to Bratislava before, it was no surprise how much we enjoyed it. Olomouc on the other hand was a real eye-opener. We stayed at the Poets' Corner with the 2 kids (two and four), which was the wife's idea as she has a history of backpacking. I wasn't sure what to expect, particularly with the ankle-biters in tow, but the family room we had was perfect. A large double bed and a single with a pull-out mattress underneath did the trick. The kids loved the interaction with peers and adults (Greg and Francie took to them for some reason), they adored the city (particularly paddling in the town square fountain), cheap ice-cream etc etc. In a word - illuminating.

P.S. When i acquire the relevant teccie skills I might attach a few photos.

• Liked — The staff, the convenient location, the relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — You have to climb stairs to the 3rd floor, but who cares?
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Poets Corner Hostel Olomouc? Share your experiences!