“Best hostel out of my entire trip” 5 of 5 stars

Old Prague Hostel
Benediktska 2 | Old Town, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Praha 1)   |
Ranked #119 of 420 Specialty Lodging in Prague
St. Louis,
“Best hostel out of my entire trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

My friends and I backpacked for 2 months around Europe, and this was by far our favorite hostel. It is located within walking distance of everything (all the historical sites, museums, bars, restaurants, and train station). It is extremely clean. They don't make you pay for towels, linens, breakfast, keys, etc *which a lot of hostels do*. The staff is overly friendly. I felt completely safe. The beds were nice and big. The price is just right!

Room Tip: The 6 bed dorms were very spacious with nice big windows.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed at Old Prague Hostel for 2 nights in an 8 bed dorm. I wandered around a little to find the place, but the detailed directions provided in my confirmation email helped me find the hostel. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful and they provided everything needed for the stay including breakfast, towels, linens, lockers (with built in locks), toiletries and even earplugs upon request. The hostel was clean, beds were comfortable and it was within walking distance to public transportation and most sites I was interested in visiting.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here on Jan 1-2, 2011. The entire experience kicked off poorly. I had reserved an 8-bed dorm for my party (or at least, had reserved 8 beds in an 8-bed dorm....) about two months in advance, but when we showed up, they had lost the reservation and claimed it wasn't in the system. Having printed the confirmation beforehand and having already paid our 10% deposit, this was unacceptable. I handed him the confirmation PDF and he said there "might" be something he could do. After a wait, we were split up 5 and 3 between two 8-bed rooms. I didn't think the reception guy was particularly friendly, either.

The rooms themselves were fine, and we felt they were clean (white sheets always help). Our room had 4 bunk beds and lockers. It was odd that we were only given one key for a locker in each room despite having paid for 8 beds, but it didn't really matter. I was glad to have locked away my stuff, but I wouldn't leave anything too valuable in there. They were flimsy and a good kick could probably have made the door give in. The luggage room isn't that secure as it's just a holding room where anyone who had access could rummage through your things. A group who stayed at the sister hostel (Prague Square Hostel) had his external hard drive stolen from the luggage room.

The bathrooms down the hall were just fine, although if you are more prudish, definitely be aware that this is truly like a dorm. In the morning, you might have a Swedish dude climb down from your top bunk in his briefs, and the Austrian girls might be changing right there. Don't take it as too much of a shock.

There were spots to hang out in the hostel, but we didn't spend much time there as we were out and about. I'd give the location a B+ or A, given that it's 10 mins or less from Old Town Square, shops, and other attractions (take public transport if you're seeing the Castle Quarter).

We slept fine despite sharing a room with so many people. My bunkmate came in late, but he was very courteous. We enjoyed meeting others and ended up being glad our party was split.

FYI, breakfast isn't the best. We got handed some egg salad sandwiches and there was dry cereal and coffee, but it wasn't one of the better meals we had.

Overall, I'd say I'd never stay here again - not necessarily because of the poor value, but because of the low level of service and the theft at their sister hostel. I shudder to think what would have happened had we checked in later (and we were there at noon....) - would they not have been able to accommodate us at all? Having only about 30 hours in Prague, we didn't want to waste time trying to find a place to stay . I wouldn't return, but it wasn't an outright disaster.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Ithaca, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

If you're looking for a fun place to stay in Prague, look no further! The rooms are clean and comfortable and the common area is a great place to meet people. Great location. I will stay here again if I go to Prague! Staff was great and very helpful

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Old Prague Hostel for five nights, it's a very nice place, the staff is cheerful and helpful and they provide all informations you may ask always with a huge smile upon the face! Bedrooms are quite big, like many other hostels I've visited before, they are warm and with big windows. Common spaces are clean and big, and you can enjoy your stay with people from all over the world! When I'll go to Prague again, I'll stay at this hostel for sure!

• Stayed March 2013
Antwerp, Antwerpen, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Incredibly friendly and warm atmosphere. We have spent two nights here and where very happy to have booked here. The hostel is situated just a few steps away from the old town square but at night everything was really silent so we had an undisturbed rest. Breakfast was free and included coffee, cereals and sandwiches. That's just what I need in the morning!
The hostel is very clean. Toilets and showers are cleaned several times a day. Really spotless!
Maybe they could do something about the matresses because they are a bit thin. Just a detail, because it's hard to say anything bad about this great place.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Curitiba, PR
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

The hostel is in a prime location! less than 5 minutes from the main squares and churches! The rooms are good, the toilet and bathrooms clean! There r a lor of free things included in the price, so u won't get charged extra for almost anything! They offer discounts in many restaurants, museums and tours!

Room Tip: Avoid the room at the common area where people go for breakfast!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Been to Old Prague Hostel? Share your experiences!