“Yum!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Erra

Erra
Konviktska 11, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))
+420 273 136 112
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #1,275 of 4,271 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Yum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

Had to write a review after seeing all the bad ones on here. I loved this bar, really friendly staff and locals and the pesto pasta was gorgeous. Go here!

Los Angeles, California
“Bad food safety and customer service experience at Erra”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

On Saturday 8/25/12 around 4 pm I visited Erra in Prague and ordered the eggplant caviar, prawn salad, a glass of red wine and a bottle of sparkling water. The ambiance was good and the young 20 something waiter was all smiles. The eggplant caviar appetizer took long and everything was fine until in the middle of eating my teeth crushed something that felt like a small stone that I ended up chewing twice. The second chew got me worried because of the object size and I spit immediately on the napkin and this turned out to be a piece of green glass plus some smaller fragments (probably from a bottle or something similar). This was for sure in the eggplant appetizer not in the wine or in the water. I approached the waiter and showed him the glass, which he took from me as he looked without saying anything, and asked for the bathroom so I could rinse my mouth to get rid of any glass pieces. I had a small amount of bleeding but did not think it was serious. After returning to my seat and waiting to see if the waiter will come ask if I was OK I noticed he was ignoring me and actually gave me a couple of cold upset looks. Since the second dish never arrived and I became increasingly uncomfortable I approached him and offered to pay for the wine and water but not for the eggplant appetizer. He was very upset and said I had eaten part of it to which replied that the glass cut my mouth and that the establishment was supposed to care for the safety of consumers and pointed out the HACCP certification posted on the door of the establishment. He did not charge me for the appetizer, took my money and gave me my change back but he made it clear he was angry to which I said: “look, this is not your fault” but then he got more angry and said that in 2 years working there this had never happened and that he would call the Police to which I replied I would tell them about the glass in the food. Following the recommendations of one of the Prague tour books I did not pursue the discussion further in case he did call the police, especially since my passport was in the hotel and I did not have a witness. As I was leaving he said “I can’t believe foreigners are coming here to do these things now” but I ignored the insult as I walked out of the establishment.

Harassing foreign customers after they are injured by food served in a restaurant by threatening to call the police is low and deplorable. Had I had a witnesses and my passport I would have asked him to call the police and the health department or equivalent agency that regulates restaurant businesses there. As I gay man sponsoring an establishment listed on gay guides I felt even more insulted by the attitude of the waiter and how he handled this incident. It hasn’t been many years when the police was used to threaten and harass gays. As a food science professor with plenty of knowledge of food safety I now have an example for my students in terms of bad practices and how even when a business claims to have a HACCP program or is HACCP certified it does not mean the system is properly implemented and/or working. Perhaps the most important aspect of the HACCP system is the need for corrective actions as prescribed in principle #6.: when something goes wrong it needs to be corrected and the cause found so that the problem can be prevented in the future to protect consumers and protect the business.

To the management/owners of Erra: you need to train your employees to care about your customers because thanks to them they have a place to work and because if you end up seriously hurting a consumer your business is exposed to liability and legal action. And yes, many of your customers are foreigners that sponsor your establishment and many find you because they are gay. This young man should have been concerned not just about me but about the fact that there could be additional pieces of glass in the kitchen that could hurt other consumers. The appetizer cost the equivalent of about $3.5 USD. Really, he thought a customer would fake the incident just to eat half of a cheap eggplant appetizer while having the decency of paying for the wine and water before leaving the establishment? While I can forgive his attitude due to his lack of experience and maturity I have an obligation to bring this incident to your attention and to warn other consumers, especially gay foreigners.

Yes, I am spoiled as an American because we are used to some of the best customer service in the world and in a similar situation in the U.S. the waiter and the manager would have apologized and not even charge for the beverages. As the former communist republics of Eastern Europe integrate more and more to the European Union the food safety standards and consumer protections of the developed world should become the norm. Fortunately, I had so many other wonderful experiences during my six days in Prague that my memories of this spectacular and magical city are not tarnished by the bad taste (no pun intended) of this single bad meal experience there and while not everyone in Prague is friendly to foreigners other local people were nice and friendly during my visit.

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London
“Good place for a quick drink or bite to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

This is a nice gay friendly, or as they put it, "straight friendly" cafe serving nice food and drinks in a relaxed, casual environment only a short walk around the corner from the Old Town Square.

My partner and I stopped in for breakfast one morning, he opted for the Continental, I opted for the English breakfast, but it was unlike any other breakfast I had ordered before. The food came out on large glass plates and included fruit, plus I didn't realise that I would have three eggs! The food was very yummy though, plus the coffee and hot chocolate was also good and the service was quick and efficient.

We didn't get around to eating here for lunch or dinner, but we met another gay couple who had had dinner here and they said that the food was very impressive. The food menu is largely Mediterranean, including a variety of pastas and salads. We did pop in again for a quick drink one afternoon after spending a large part of the day walking around Prague and it was nice to pop in and chill out for half an hour. We did consider taking our friends here one evening for a drink, but it wasn't busy when we walked past and we didn't want to be the only people to walk in. However, we ended up going to another gay bar and that was just as dead. Mind you, it was a weekday evening and it was just post-marathon and a lot of places seemed to be pretty quiet.

I would certainly say Cafe Erra is worth popping in to, either for a drink or some food. The clientele tends to be quite young, hip and gay and the atmosphere is nice, casual and relaxed.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Not a "Gay Friendly" Cafe”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Apologies to simonuineill (cf) but Cafe Erra is a "straight Friendly" cafe as sometimes painted on the window! A source of great amusement to my straight brother.

I have been going there often during many visits to Prague over the past 5 years. It is only a couple of minutes walk from Old Town Square but, until the evening, it is always reasonably quiet. Free WiFi seems to be an attraction during the day. Dogs are very welcome and it is not unusual to find 3 or 4 enjoying themselves in there. Water is provided for them. The food has always been very good, especially for the price although the menu seems not to change very much - desserts are mainly cakes/gateaux which are bought in.

Evenings can be great fun with a good mix of gay and straight customers out to enjoy a drink before moving on to a club as it does close early (midnight at weekends) by Prague standards.

Unlike a lot of cafes etc in Prague, it is nice to see a nucleus of the same staff year after year who always give you a good welcome although very little English is spoken.

Don't be afraid of going on your own at busy times. People will always want to try out their English on you and give you a chance to try out your Czech.

If you travel to Prague with a partner and are not interested in the full on club scene then this would be an excellent place to visit for an enjoyable time with no late nights.

• Visited April 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Praha
“Nice evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012

We spent with friends at Cafe Erra very pleasant evening. Excellent food and well-chilled rose. come again.

• Visited May 2012