“Great location and value!” 5 of 5 stars

Alice Apartment House
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Sokolovska 30 | Praha 8, Prague 18600, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #64 of 420 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Clermont-Ferrand, France
“Great location and value!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I recently stayed here for 3 nights with 2 other friends.

We found this apartment on trip advisor as there was a promotion to get an apartment for the same price as a room. We decided to take this offer and were able to get an apartment with a double bed and a single bed (3 people) for the same price as a regular room. The apartment appeared to have been completely renovated and was in great shape! The beds were EXTREMELY comfy, quite possibly one of the best sleeps I've ever had in a tourist accomodation. For the apartment it cost 75€/night without breakfast, but breakfast was not necessary as we had a complete kitchenette.

The bathroom in the apartment was quite big and the shower was amazing. We didn't have problems with hot water except for the one day all 3 of us wanted to shower one after another but I find this to be normal.

A 1-minute walk from the apartment is a BILLA grocery store and the metro. It is at this supermarket that we were easily able to buy food in advance to cook in our apartment and therefore save money on constantly going out.

The service was great, they were very helpful and provided us with many maps and advice for Prague.

The location itself is quite close to the centre and if you do not want to take the 1/2 stop on the metro, the old town can easily be reached in a 10-15 minute walk. It is also located right beside the main bus station which is helpful for those who arrive by bus companies such as Eurolines.

Room Tip: Look online to see if there is a promotion with trip advisor to get a better room at a cheaper rate!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
AliceNuslova, Manager at Alice Apartment House, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear guest, we are happy to hear that you were satisfied with our accommodation. Thank you for nice review, it made us feel even more excited about our jobs. Please visit us again on your next trip to Prague. Alice Apartment House Team

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
New Delhi, India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2013

This property located not far from the main city centre. City centre is a 12-15 minute walk. It is very reasonably priced. We got a serviced apartment with a street view. Rooms should be carefully picked and basement rooms should be avoided at all costs.

Staff is friendly, they guide you around for each and everything you request them for.

Room Tip: Avoid basement rooms in all cases
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Alice A, Manager at Alice Apartment House, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your nice review. We appreciate if you choose Alice Apartment House for your next stay in Prague, and we promise not to give you a basement apartment provided that you let us know in advance. Have a nice day!
Staff of Alice Apartment House
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Me and my partner arrived at the hotel and were greeted by a very friendly attendant who sorted us out very efficiently with no problems. The hotel offered good exchange rates on your euros which was very handy for us given we had just arrived from Germany, The Room/ "apartment" was through several locked doors within a complex of others which certainly gave a feeling of security to the whole place.
Though fairly near the town centre, approx. 8 mins walk, the walk was not all that pleasant and the streets were not particularly welcoming especially at night. This was instantly forgotten upon arriving in the market place however.
In terms of the room, we were upgraded upon arrival, presumably due to the time of year. Given this the value for money became excellent as we gained a very clean and well presented en-suite. Unfortunately the "double bed" was in fact two beds pushed together, this is fairly normal in many hotels, however, others do not have a hard wooden edge between the beds which is not covered. The mattresses were firm which was nice, and the feather pillows were very comfortable.
We had initially asked for a kitchen, and it would have been a disappointment to find our kitchen was in fact a fridge and a kettle if it weren't for other experiences across Europe showing similar creativity in their room descriptions.
The room was completely wooden, Despite all this it was very clean. Glancing at other apartments during cleaning times showed that some had fully fitted kitchens and were indeed rather luxurious.
Smelt of cigarette smoke, especially in the hallway but also in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

My wife and me were staying with Pension Alice for 4 nights at early Sep.

Good thing:
1) Convenience: so closed to metro station, coach station, eating places, supermarkets..etc it provides excellent accessibility to all attractions to cope with traveller's need.
2) Nice service: Staff were very friendly and helpful.
3) Good sleeping quality: we were given an apartment at the quiet side, the bed is very clean and comfort therefore we could sleep very well during the period of stay.

Can be improved:
1) Hot water supply: was a little bit not stable
2) Condition of apartment: we saw from the Pension's web site was very new but was a bit aged.

Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

After reading a previous review from a Canadian single woman traveling alone, I booked an apartment for 14 nights without hesitation. I was given room F. I only stayed one night and cancelled for an extra night penalty. I needed an apartment because I wanted a kitchen to cook my meals and this seemed perfect for me.

The staff was helpful and friendly; the night shift employee was maybe too friendly, not professional and smoking in the lobby with his friend using the hotel computer and making comments that made me uncomfortable.

The Free wi-fi internet in the apartment was useless with almost no signal and the hotel was not even full. With only one bar most of the time this was not acceptable for somebody needing to stay in touch with home and work online.

I could hear the trams going all night and could feel the vibrations so I didn’t sleep very well although the bed was clean and comfortable. Even if away from the big crowds, it was still very busy and too crowded for me with people rushing in and out of the metro and trams.

The kitchen was well supplied with a stove top, microwave and a kettle but missing a can opener and I was given a camping style one. The chairs in the kitchen were stained and the kitchen windows were not sound proof and I had to use headphones while cooking because I could hear people talking in the courtyard; the sound was echoing on the brick walls and made it sound like they were louder. The blinds in between the two windows were hard to pull and didn’t go all the way down so it was not very private.

This hotel is not as polished and shiny as they make it seem. It looks way better on the website and on the pictures. It’s not easy when you can’t see the place and you have to book online which is why Tripadvisor is very useful but not everyone has the same taste, standards, needs or expectations. Many factors can make for a good or bad experience. Mine with Alice (Penzion Alice) was an average one and like I said previously I never regretted one bit cancelling for a penalty. I had been offered to stay in another hotel for a better price in a better location with better amenities and I had to make my decision quickly. Please look at my other reviews in Prague to find out which hotel I chose over this one.

I am posting this review because I made my decision to book this hotel based on a Tripadvisor review. I would not go back to this hotel unfortunately and could not recommend it. If you still want to go, I suggest booking straight with them and not through an agency because if you ever want to cancel once you are there, it makes things complicated. I had booked with Venere.com and they were impossible to reach.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Alice A, Manager at Alice Apartment House, responded to this review, May 28, 2012
We are pleased you had chosen Pension Alice for your stay in Prague. We are glad that you decided for our accommodation, and we are so sorry that you were not satisfied. Reservation for your stay was mediated by Venere.com accommodation portal for a period of 2 weeks. When we received your reservation by e-mail, we chose to book for you apartment "F" on the first floor.

Pension Alice is an accommodation facility which was established by gradual reconstruction of the original gallery apartment house. In the inner part of the building there is a terrace where you can sit and chat with friends.

Internet coverage is provided through Wi Fi via two transmitters. One of them is located in the basement and the other is at the top of the house. Therefore it is possible to select through which transmitter, Alice 1 or Alice 2, the signal is stronger. We would like to point out that our accommodation provides high-speed Internet coverage using the latest technology. As a result, even one signal point is enough to ensure flawless internet reception. Moreover, there are two computers that are connected to the Internet in the lobby, and their usage is complimentary for our guests.

Regular passage of trams as well as any other traffic is normal due to the location of Pension Alice in the city center. If someone is bothered with the noise of trams, it is possible to change the apartment for another one on a higher floor where the apartments dispose of special noise-proof windows. In case of accommodation during Easter holidays it can be assumed that the house will be full of guests and for someone it may be noisy.
Can/bottle openers and silverware are parts of the equipment in each room or apartment. However, it may happen that it will be lost or stolen, and therefore if anything is missing in the apartment, a guest can contact the reception desk. We will be happy to complement the missing thing. So far, no one has complained about the opener to be a "camping style", because it is fully functional and therefore serves its purpose.

When the traveler checked in I was at the front desk. The traveler liked the offered apartment "F" and all was in accordance with her expectations. I was very surprised when I was announced the cancellation of her reservation. If the traveler was for any reason dissatisfied with the accommodation, we could offer her another apartment.

Upon notification of cancellation at the front desk, not to mention without giving any reason, we charged a fee according to our cancellation policy, i.e. 100% cancellation fee was charged for cancellation on the day of accommodation.

The fee was charged according to our conditions and the traveler was acquainted with this.
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2011

The location of this penzion is very convenient – very close to an underground train station which makes it easy to get there. Once you’re there it’s about a ten minute walk to where it starts getting busy and maybe around 15 mins to the main tourist area. We walked into town every time and then if we ended up fairly far away at the end of the day we just hopped on a train back.

The staff were very friendly and welcoming – the gentleman who checked us in brought us up to show us our room and carried my luggage for me as well. (One point to note: no elevator – this is actually fairly common in Europe) The room had a kitchen in it which we weren’t expecting so that was brilliant. We cooked dinner here every evening and brought it downstairs where there were picnic tables in a courtyard in the middle of the building. The only thing is cooking in the room made it even warmer which was tough when there was no air con.

Our bathroom was across the hall (which other guests use) but it was private and could be locked. It was a really nice bathroom – very big and clean and the shower was very good. It was inconvenient though to have to cross the hallway which others guests use before and after a shower.

The only problem we had with this penzion was that it had no air conditioning. Not being used to hot weather, we decided air con was a priority for us in prague. When we booked using hrs.com, this property came up in the list of those with air con. This isn’t really Alice’s fault, however, so as long as you’re not expecting air con then you won’t be disappointed.

What I’d recommend to a friend going to Prague would be to check out how much places cost in general and their locations at the time they want to go and if Alice comes out cheaper then it’s definitely great value.

Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Alice Apartment House? Share your experiences!