“Good hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Mandarin Oriental, Prague

You added Mandarin Oriental, Prague to your Saves list
Mandarin Oriental, Prague
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nebovidska 459/1 | Mala Strana, Prague 11800, Czech Republic (Mala Strana (Little Quarter))   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #26 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Good hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

We arrived in Prague after a not so good experience at Mandarin Oriental in Munich so we we're a bit concerned. Check in was fast and our room was bright and spacious. We we're travelling with my son and they had made the effort of child proofing EVERY sharp corner in the entire room, perhaps not entirely necessary but an increadible display of attention to detail. My son was not feeling well and the concierge went out to buy medicine for my son and a mobile phone card for me, again great service that was much appreciated. Room service made special orders that were not on the menue to cater for my son and all the food was very tasty.

On the second day of our stay my son was very ill and the concierge managed to have a doctor in my room within 30 minutes. The doctor had all the medecine that my son needed and within a couple of hours he was feeling much better and soon my son could again enjoy his holiday. This was very well managed by the concierge and I really appreciated it.

The hotel is nicely located and everything is very beautiful and tasteful. The breakfast has a good selection and the team serving inside the restaurant was very friendly and professional, for example my son got nice child plates and cuttlery as soon as he sat down. On one occassion at breakfast a man came up and offered my son a couple of toy cars, much appreciated by my son and I love this kind of proactive and thoughtful service.

I have only 2 negative remarks which is why I don't give this otherwise very good hotel full marks. One day we we had breakfast outside, the waiter serving out there didn't provide any plates for my son despite us asking twice for them to be provided, I asked him for a soft boiled egg but instead of placing an order with the kitchen he just went and got a hard boiled egg from the buffet and the service he provided was generally slow and poor. None of this was a huge issue but it was not at all at par with the outstanding service we received at breakfast every other day of our stay.

My second disapointment was when we asked the concierge to arrange a guided walking tour of Prague, this cost CZK900 per hour which is quite high but ok if it's of a high quality. They said that they had booked a very experienced guide. The person that showed up was 7 months pregnant and had difficulty walking, she didn't speak very good English and she didn't seem very knowledgable since she was unable to answer many questions. At the end of the tour she asked my wife to bring back CZK350 to give the concierge "their cut". My wife declined to do so since any such arrangements should be between her and the concierge/hotel. Unfortunately since the hotel is keeping a large proportion of what you pay for the guide you get a mediocre guide at a premium price. Through a friend I managed to arrange guided tours with a professor of history at Prague University and he spoke perfect English, was very knowledgable, sociable and charged less than the hotel. I do however not think that guests should have to rely on their personal network to get in touch with top quality guides when they stay in MO.

Overall this was a very good hotel where we experienced many examples of excellent service. It was a much better experience than MO in Munich and I could certainly recommend this hotel to anyone though there are many other good hotels in Prague.

Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
MandarinOriental_PRG, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, August 25, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for your message. We very much appreciate your comments on your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague and we have been delighted to learn that in general, you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. We are keen to receive astute feedback so that in the future we can delight our guests even more.

I was sorry to hear there were few points, about which you did not feel quite as delighted as you should have been. I would be pleased to discuss those topics with you at your convenience, as I sincerely hope we can provide you with a sufficient explanation. Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on +420 233 088 701 or by e-mail at the address clemensh@mohg.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you, your family and friends back to the ”Golden City” and Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

Yours sincerely,

Clemens Hoerth

Nebovidska 459/1
118 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2010

I travel a lot for business, visit a lot of hotels in many cities! In my opinion a 5 star hotel is a 5 star hotel sometimes the surrounding or area makes the difference! But service anfd feeling "home"makes it complete, the differences! This hotel understands what makes the service!!! Thanks to the totall crew for hospiallity, so many times of my visits. If you want to relax and vist the beautiful city if Praque, go for the Mandarin it makes your days!
Use the Spa and understand how relaxed and professional it is, you will feel Top after the experience!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled on business
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

I stayed at this hotel in July with my wife. I got a 2 4 1 as i booked with AmEx and also a room upgrade at booking and another on arrival, which is why i thought it was pretty good value. We ended up with a one bedroom suite, which was perfect apart from the over bath shower. It is a massive bathroom with a lot of space for a shower so why it is over the bath i just don't know.
You can not beat the service, even the maid who i passed in the hall way knew my name. At breakfast the 2nd day they knew what drinks we wanted.
We did have to wait at check in but we were offered a drink in the bar. On a Friday evening they also do free beer tasting and on Saturday a historical tour of the hotel. There is free WiFi in the lobby, bar and restaurant and wired Internet in the rooms. Nice little touches, which make you think they are not taking advantage all the time.
The location is very quiet but only 5 minutes walk to Charles Bridge.
We had a free meal in the restaurant, which was nice, but not special.
The spa is good, i don't think the best in Europe and expensive, but if you can afford it why not?
All in all highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Heidelberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

The location of the Mandarin-Oriental in Prag is ideal to experience both the shopping side and the historic side with the Hradschin. The Reception Staff was extremely helpful during check-in and room assistance. Room itself was huge with a nice inner-courtyard view. The bathroom was huge as well with giant shower, seperate bathtub and was covered allover with marble.
The most memorable breakfast I ever had in my life! Selection was not as huge as at the Adlon in Berlin, but the quality was just the best! Especially the home made smoothies were great - try the mangoo-one, it was just delicious!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2010

I stayed at MO Prague for five nights June '10 and enjoyed my stay except for a few hiccups. When I arrived approx. noon, my room was not yet available. The receptionist was kind enough to offer me a complimentary drink at the Bar while I waited. The room was very spacious. I like the fact that there's an adjoining room between the bedroom and bathroom that allows me to store my suitcases and it housed the two closets. What's even better - no other hotel has this feature - all of the windows open up! I hate hotel air conditioning and the fresh air was wonderful.

Breakfast was included in the package and it was a very nice spread. I ate one day at the restaurant (mainly business travelers due to close proximity of all the embassies). The remaining days I had it delivered to the room - no complaints there. What did upset me was the fact that I ordered room service for the exact same meal (salad with grilled chicken) and they charged me completely different. The second time I just told them to take it back because I was overcharged by $10. Room service and laundry was outrageously expensive!

I also did not like the fact that there's no stand alone shower. It was part of the tub so I was standing on the curved part of the tub. Very dangerous - I was afraid I would slip and fall. Totally unacceptable for a five star hotel.

Location wise it's pretty good - near the Charles Bridge and trams right outside the hotel. I did feel tired of walking over to the more touristy part by the third day.

Lastly during check-out, I had to dispute my hotel bill. I was quoted in Euro but charged in CZK and the rate did not match the daily rate. After coming back home to the U.S., I had to email the hotel how they came up with the amount that I was charged. Apparently they set the conversion rate the first day of the month and not by the daily rate. I thought it was unprofessional to not disclose it in the reservation.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
MandarinOriental_PRG, Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Prague, responded to this review, July 8, 2010
Dear guest,

Thank you for your message. We very much appreciate your comments on your experience at Mandarin Oriental, Prague. We are keen to receive astute feedback so that in the future we can delight our guests even more.

I am sorry to hear that after your last visit to Mandarin Oriental, Prague you did not feel quite as delighted as you should have been. I would be pleased to discuss the above mentioned topic with you at your earliest convenience. I sincerely hope we can provide you with a sufficient explanation. Please kindly contact me directly by telephone on +420 233 088 701 by e-mail at the address clemensh@mohg.com.

I look forward to hearing from you soon and welcoming you again to the ”Golden City” and Mandarin Oriental, Prague.

Yours sincerely,

Clemens Hoerth

Nebovidska 459/1
118 00 Praha 1
Czech Republic
Wien, Österreich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed in the Oriental Prague over Easter this year. The hotel is built in a former monastery and a nice quit habour (in particular, compared to other parts of the city, with tons of tourist).

Hotel, rooms, service are top notch, as you will expect from an Oriental.

The spa was expensive, but very nice and top treatments.

Downsides were that you don't have a lot of choice at the breakfast buffet and that we felt a bit taken advantage of, since you can not really recongnize, which of the water bottles in your room are complimentory and which are not. Not a lot of money, but we left a bit angry.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Nuremberg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

OMG, what a place!!! Truly the best place to stay at in Prague..... it is on my best hotels list next to the Trianon Palace and Spa in Paris ...It made our Valentines weekend in Prague a great experience. We checked in pretty late without hesitations and they greeted us with tea. The rooms are super clean which is extremely important for me and they put fresh fruit everyday. The staff is friendly and you feel the 5 star treatment with them. The hotel is also centrally located within walking distance to major attractions. We also tried the spa and got a couples massage and the treatment was great, it's what can you expect from a 5 star hotel. The bar is cozy and enjoyable. Since it was Valentine's Day, they offered us a complimentary drink. We had a great night! The restaurant offers great food, I would recommend the rabbit, it was really tender. Would definitely stay at another Mandarin Oriental Hotel. Oh and I must add that it's affordable for a Mandarin Oriental hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Prague? Share your experiences!