“Is it a Hostel and not a Hotel????” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Albion Hotel

Save Saved
You added Albion Hotel to your Saves list
Albion Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Peroutkova 531 | Prague 5, Prague 15800, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #618 of 668 hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Is it a Hostel and not a Hotel????”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

Yes it has a "Grand" Entrance/Reception if you can get pass the smokers on the steps.
4 Stars - may be refered to the ones in the sky?
Room -- basic without any tea/coffee facilities.
Cleaning - ok, except the door left open by the cleaner, may be due to the dodgy door locking system.
Heating system - No air condition, just large opening window and heating (not operative)
Sleeping well at night - If you can ignor the parties/chanting/screening/X-factor auditionees/CGT auditionees. Yes we din;t get much sleep until about 5 or 6am in the morning.
Breakfast - ok, but the juice were diluted down.
Staff - some were good and helpful, but most couldn't understand you or bothered to do anything. When on one occassion when to the Recption to complain about the noise level from Block D (Youth Wing). I stood there for 5 minutes before the staff acknowledged me and wanted me to fid out exactly where the noise came from myself. Which I did, but the noise was still happening for another 3 hours.
Reception at night - walked through and came back with my clothes full of smell of smoke. Wasn't smoking banned in public places in Czech Republic yet?
Location & Direction to hotel - Not very helpful and clear. May be it was done like to give the impression it is closer to City Centre than it is..

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
AlbionHotel, Manager at Albion Hotel, responded to this review, September 27, 2011
Dear James W, thank you for the review. Please note our rates are adequate to quality of accommodation and services. We also offer Apartments and Suite, where our guests are relocated for a small supplement in case they are not happy in Economy or Standard Rooms. Regarding the noise please note this is individual behaviour of our young clients, which we cannot change anyhow. With best regards

234 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
GREECE&CYPRUS
1,408 helpful votes 1,408 helpful votes
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2011

We spent 3 nights at this hotel in Prague with 40 other friends. Before coming here I had a look on different comments on TripAdvisor and I noticed that almost all comments were negative. I read of stained carpets, dirty rooms, no mini bar, poor quality food, poor breakfast, and rude staff. Some people wrote that it was the worst hotel they ever visited. So, before coming here I warned my friends not to expect much, and I even called the travel agency asking for more info concerning this hotel. In reality I thought it was the worst of the three hotels we were going to visit on our 9 day trip to Europe. The agency told me that they use this hotel frequently and never before had they heard of negative comments.

The hotel is huge and part of it has recently been renovated. It is mostly popular with guests who come here by coach. You will also find many students who stay over the night on a school trip. It can be very noisy when students come, but during our 3 night stay, luckily we had no trouble at all. Noise was mostly in the afternoon. Animals are allowed in the hotel, so I went to check if there is a separate place for these animals when they are accepted but the reception people told me that this does not happen often but when it does, these animals stay in the rooms with their owners. (This I did not like at all to be honest.)

Smoking is allowed in the lounge area next to the bar, but luckily not in the rooms. The area on the ground floor has the smell of cigarette all over.

We had our room upgraded to a suite when we got there and we were given room # 606. The suite was huge but with nothing stylish or fancy. The bathroom was big with a bath tub. We had different toiletries of the Aqua Line branch. We had clean bright white towels that were changed daily. The coffee facilities in our room were appreciated even if I always carry along my own small kettle, but I noticed the very last day we did not have any toiletries nor coffee or milk added.

Our bed was really huge, -hard just like we wanted it, and there was so much space (for kids to play with a ball) in the two very spacious rooms plus the small entrance hall. There was a small brown stain somewhere on the carpet, but this does not mean that the hotel is dirty. On the contrary I found it very clean.

Breakfast was more than adequate, with a variety of cheese, porridge, croissant, ham, salami, yoghurt, fruit, and juice. (Don’t expect to find fresh orange juice here though.) As we were on H/B basis we had buffet all three nights. A big glass of beer at the bar costs 2.5 euro but they accept only local money. You can change your money at the reception desk. I found the people at the bar restaurant extremely rude. The elderly lady at the bar is very arrogant and the boy at the coffee bar opposite the souvenir shop does not speak much English.

The very last evening an incident made me ask to see the kitchen manager when many people in our group asked me to check the cucumber dish. I noticed that cucumbers were molten and I am not exaggerating. Luckily the people in the kitchen must have noticed it. Cucumbers were soft dark and creamy on the bottom of the huge bowl. The people at the restaurant had added freshly cut cucumbers to molten ones of previous days! I added an (s) and used bold letters to stress this. If those cucumbers were cut the previous day it would have been in a much better condition. The worst of all is that I had no battery in the camera to take a picture of the bowl. I asked to see the kitchen manager who with very rude manners refused that this happened and he seemed angry even though I was very polite and talked silently because I did not want to make a fuss. Of course I could not prove any evidence since he had already changed the bowl with a new one with all fresh cucumbers but I was surprised of the way he reacted.

Buffet was satisfying and if it was not for that salad dish which I referred above I could give it an 80 mark out of a 100. That incident spoiled the whole picture of our last night and stay. We were lucky we had not seen this happen the first day of our stay.

Some of the rooms on the ground and first floors can be really noisy especially those overlooking the parking lot (full of buses) mostly. Coaches come even late at midnight and it can be too noisy depending on the people and age.

Wireless Internet access is free and mostly young people gather at the bar area or at the side of the reception on the ground floor to work on their laptops. There is a nice quiet garden at the back of the bar restaurant with grass and a fountain with round tables and some chairs for people to sit on hot sunny days or warm afternoons.

There are no shops around, and it is far from the city centre. I highly recommend it for big groups coming here by coach. I would not mind staying here again if I ever visit Prague but again I would choose to stay at a suite. In all, the stay was good if it had not been for the rude manners of the people I mentioned above, and I mean really rude. These people should not work here because they destroy the whole picture of the hotel. As for rooms, in all, I guess it all depends on the room you are given because some of the wings are much better than others. There are rooms with no mini bars in, or are very noisy. The impression of the whole group of 44 people was satisfying for the money we paid.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are not bad, but our suite #606 was very spacious.The best part was the bathroom and...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Dear Guest, thank you very much for your review, which helps us to improve our customer service. With best regards
hull, uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2011

What star system is this hotel rated on? We ended up here as we recieved a voucher from friends as a wedding gift. Turns out the voucher was a fraud and so we had no booking at all. As we arrived at the hotel on sunday night we decided to stay a couple of nights. The staff were very rude and asking them a question seemed an inconvenience. Bedrooms very bare and basic, stains on the carpet - the 'partial mini bar' consisted on a cupboard with what appeared to the back board of a fridge in it! Breakfast was a cacophony of sticky cakes and sweating ham and cheese which had been out since 6am - totally inedible. Internet access was £2 for 15 mins. Even worse, the hotel is a long way from the city centre not ideal at all for a city break as you cannot just pop back to the hotel during a day of sight-seeing as you have to take a bus and a metro into town. On our third day, we were told the hotel was full and so we left and found a much better place in the city centre. All in all, the kennels that we left our dogs in was a better option than this hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for the feedback which always helps us to improve or customer service. Please note our rates of Economy and Standard rooms are adequate to accommodation and service. If our guest are not satisfied with those kind of rooms, they can any time to be relocated into our apartment or suite for just a small supplement. Also please note hotel is not located far from the City Center. It is located 8 minutes by bus from the metro station Andel which is a part of the City Center. The City Center is located between following underground stations: Andel, Malostranska, Florenc and I.P. Pavlova. Regarding the staff please note all of them were trained to know how to behave to customers. With best regards
Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed there for 3 nights, The hotel itself is very far from the city centre, you need to take a bus and then the subway to get to the centre. it takes like 30minutes to reach. If you take a cap, but not from the hotel, it's about €10. the rooms were awful, especially the beds are surprisingly uncomfortable. And also there is no internet connection in the rooms. ıt's said to be a 4 star hotel but there is no fridge in the rooms. The breakfast- nothing to say about it, so i'm sure there are better hotels, this one might be one of the worst.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, please note we inform all guests, that hotel is located 8 minutes by bus from the Smichov (station Andel) which is the center of Prague 5 and 20 minutes by public transport from the Wenceslas Square. Also plese note not only Wenceslas Sq. is Prague City Center. City Center is located between following underground stations: Andel, Malostranska, Florenc and I.P. Pavlova. Regarding missing minibar in your room, please note you have reserved Economy Room, anyway if you were not happy, you could anytime ask on reception to be relocated into our Standard Room or Apartment for just a small supplement. With best regards
Istanbul, Turkey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

At a 4-Star Hotel, I expect certain amenities. This particular Hotel was listed as a 4-Star Hotel, but there was NO swimming pool, fitness center, and their Business center apparently had no Server access, even though this was touted as FREE to hotel guests. The Lobby staff seemed to be "bothered" when we went back to the Front Desk after seeing the horrible state of the first room we were given (Rusted window panes, hole in carpetting, busted shower curtain, and no mini bar). The second room had a checklist for the minibar, but no refrigerator in the slot in the desk. Overall, using International Standards of Hotel ratings, I would give this a 2.5 AT BEST.

Room Tip: To get the best room, stay at another Hotel...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest. thank you for the feedback. Please note hotel does note have a swimming pool , fitness center, and Business center as you wrotte therefore it is not advertised anywhere. Not even on our web pages or reservation systems. Also we do not offer Server access, for FREE to hotel guests as you wrote. You probably mixed Albion Hotel with another hotel which offers those facilities and services. Albion Hotel offers just accommodation, breakfast and free parking and free wifi in public areas. With best regards
ISTANBUL
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2011

We had to spend 3 nights in this hotel
It is far from having 4 stars
Dirty room, torn sheets, no minibar, no fitness, no pool
General areas may look like 4 stars whereas in the privacy of the room much noise
by next room and poor drain of water
all window panes corroded
Try to avoid

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, thank you for your feedback which is obviously your personal feeling. Please note our rates are adequate of our quality and service, if you had the feeling of 3* category, you could go anytime to reception and ask to be allocated into apartment or suite which Albion Hotel offers as well as Standard rooms and Economy rooms. With best regards
Wirral
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Having booked this trip blind with the hotel being named after we'd made the booking, I was a little dismayed to see the poor reviews on TripAdvisor, but have to say we were pleasantly surprised.

Ok the negatives first - it's a little out the way, the majority of the staff are unfriendly at best (I'm thinking of the bar man who had a real distaste for foreigners, and the receptionist who seemed to think hello in English was pronounced 'WHAT?'), also because of the location, the hotel did seem to attract mostly coach trip travelers, and i slept on the most uncomfortable bed in the world - too short, mattress too thin, and a bedsheets that didn't quite reach from one end to the other.

On the plus side, it was cheap, it was really clean, the breakfast was not that bad and the hotel was right on the bus route into town, and there was wireless internet in the reception area. On the whole plenty more positives than negatives, and I've stayed in a lot worse. So if you'd rather stay somewhere cheap and spend your budget on seeing Prague you could do a lot worse than stay here, and don't worry about too many of the bad reviews. When you get there, have a local beer and all will seem well in the world!

Room Tip: This is a budget hotel, only book if its cheap, and try to get a room on the lower floor if you want...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Been to Albion Hotel? Share your experiences!