“Just great!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of U Zlateho Tygra

U Zlateho Tygra
Husova, 228/17, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))
420-222221111
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #144 of 1,243 things to do in Prague
Joensuu, Finland
“Just great!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I loved that place! It is so authentic and no "I want service" tourists around! Service is not rude if you get beer and we got it enough :-).

Visited October 2013

• Czech first
Rochester Hills, Michigan
61 attraction reviews
“Great place for one thing Beer!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2013

Come here for an authentic czech beer experience.. . we arrived a couple of minutes before they opened up (i believe early afternoon maybe 3ish but check to be sure) and there already was line of mostly czechs lining up ..great cheap beer. . .Nuff Said

Visited May 2013
Budapest, Hungary
13 attraction reviews
“Killed by tourists ”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

Yeah, I understand how Hrabal drank here and for sure it is cool. It is also cool that you really don't have to announce that you want to drink beer, because it is the only beverage they serve. On the walls you can see images of the Tiger and Hrabal in various combinations. Beer is cheap and the food also seemed nice. So far so good. And then comes the trick: since every travel guide mentions how this place is a must see, swarms of tourists like us come see the famous pub which was already crowded in the first place. So yes, sure, go there since you "must", enjoy your beer but don't be surprised if the waiters are rude and you don't get any atmosphere, no true Czech experience, only the beer you paid for. Take the beermat as a revenge and as a souvenir :-)

Prague, Czech Republic
3 attraction reviews
“Another place trading on its reputation ..”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

I first visited Tygra in 1996 .. I was introduced to it by a Czech friend and was taken by (what then for me was) its uniqueness. The beer master drawing the beer, the waiters quaint system of tallying up what you had had to drink .. there's no piped music, and no fruit machine (staples in many English bars) .. and also the price of their great Pilsner beer.
At that time there were around 60 Czech crowns to the Pound (£)

I don't go there any more .. I stopped using it maybe 8 years ago, it's possible to get beer as good in other bars locally, and it's cheaper or a similar price .. and unlike at Tygra, the waiters don't wear their surliness almost like a badge of honour. Czech service in general can be very patchy at best .. but I don't need the staff cynically looking down their noses at me.

I speak enough Czech to make myself well understood and even this isn't enough.

Take a tip from me.. U Konvikt in Bartolomeska is a 5/7 minute walk away the beer is just as good, the waiting staff infinitely more friendly, they serve food AND have a non-smoking section for those (like me) who prefer it.

IF you have to go .. do .. but try other places too

I selected Feb 2012 as my visit date because that was the least recent option the menu gave me

Visited February 2012
Prague
“A local experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

One of the first things that you notice when you walk in is the smoke that hits you like a brick wall, followed by the glare than man pouring the beer will give you. You will mostly find older Czech men talking about a range of topics- politics, the latest Czech football scores, or perhaps more politics. If this doesn't put you off- and it shouldn't- then pray for a table and sidle up next to your new friends. (For the record it is best to make a reservation as it's a happening place that tends to not have free spaces at peak drinking times). The food is authentic Czech grub as is some of the service. It is a favorite with locals, men and women alike, who can tell you at least one good story about this storied pub.
When we have friends and family in town we almost always take them here for an experience in Czech pub culture since the beer is good and it's centrally located.

Visited November 2012