“Prague City Apartments, Masna 5, #503 - One bedroom” 5 of 5 stars

Prague City Apartments Residence Masna
Masna 5, Prague 11000, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #24 of 420 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Istanbul, Turkey
“Prague City Apartments, Masna 5, #503 - One bedroom”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

My three-month winter stay (mid-Jan to mid-Apr 2013) provided ample opportunity to experience the apartment's good qualities (overwhelming) and its (minor) negatives. I hope to return soon and can recommend this apartment and its management to prospective guests. You will be well-received, well-treated, and well-entertained no matter how short or long your stay.

Location is everything here, though the reasonable price for a fully furnished one-bedroom in Old Town certainly doesn't hurt. Out the front door a two minute stroll along cobblestone streets brings you to the wonderful town square. A few minutes in the other direction lands you at a modern 200-store mall and a tram stop (four lines). Restaurants, bars, shopping, and entertainment venues abound just outside the front door. Management and staff are exceptional – my few issues were addressed courteously, quickly and favorably. The housekeeping service was considerate and thorough.

This fifth-floor flat (#503) faces Masna, with an eye-pleasing side view of Tyn Church & St. James Basilica, with the Powder Tower peeking just behind. Light pours in from the living and bedroom windows. A narrow balcony (with a waist-high solid balustrade) runs the length of the flat, with access from both rooms. There is room for chairs to enjoy morning coffee.

Furnishings are agreeable (IKEA mid-range), though sparse in the entry hall and bedroom. The somewhat thin mattress is showing age, and an upgrade would be a guest-friendly improvement. In any event, a mattress cover would be useful to preserve both mattress and guest. The living room sofa converts to a double bed. Unless you are a Bloomberg Europe fanatic, the 32-inch flat screen TV is virtually useless to English speakers despite over 1000 satellite channels. Most are Arabic, though some German, Italian, Spanish and other languages also are broadcast. There is a DVD/radio player. The Wi-Fi signal was excellent.

The kitchenette makes good use of space, though storage is necessarily limited: four-burner gas hob; no oven; pots and pans well worn and of the inexpensive variety; compact fridge; older but serviceable microwave; built-in washer (no dryer, but a collapsible drying rack is stored in the hall along with an iron and ironing board). The small dining table seats four. The hot water heating system kept the flat comfortably warm during my winter stay. The boiler unexpectedly shut down three times over that period, but a phone call brought someone immediately for an easy reset. There is no air-conditioning, but a fan is provided.

Street noise from traffic is moderate during weekday working hours, fading to virtually nothing during sleeping hours. Weekends are quieter for traffic noise. Conversely, a nearby nightclub provides a muffled thumping serenade to the wee hours on weekends and occasionally on weekdays that might disturb light sleepers. The fifth-floor location and the solid balustrade serve as buffers, but the sound nonetheless carries in the still of the night.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
San Diego, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

My daughter and I stayed and Masna 5 for xmas 2012 (Dec 22-27). The location is phenomenal. It is just around the corner from Old Town Square. We were able to walk everywhere. Christmas in Prague was wonderful. Prague City Apartment staff went above and beyond. Staff helped with transportation arrangements to and from the airport, and it went fabulous. Check in was easy, the driver knew the process, and a staff member from Prague City Apartments met us at the apartment to give us an orientation to the apartment. The Residence Masna was a great bargain. Now for the downside, I agree with another reviewer. We were there for vacation. Although the staff were amazingly helpful, it would have been nice to not have as many problems to be helped with. Problems although small take time, and worry, to deal with. On the first night after our orientation to the apartment, after the staff member left us on our own, I quickly realized there were no towels in the apartment. To call reception, you have to leave the apartment. No big deal. My daughter came with me. It was an adventure. We could check the place out. Went to the phone upstairs and called reception. They seemed a little hesitant to resolve the towel problem. Or they were trying to figure out how to resolve it. You see, the housekeeper was already gone for the day. They asked if I checked everywhere in the apartment for towels, which I did. I had to reiterate how important towels were going to be in the morning. They asked if I brought any towels with me. They said they would work on it. I went back down to the apartment and after what seemed like 100 attempts at opening the door I found myself locked out of the apartment. OMG. The last thing I wanted to do was call them again and tell them that I was too stupid to open the door. After sitting on the steps for a few minutes, giving my daughter a try at the door, and trying to focus on the comic side of the situation, I marched back up the stairs and called reception. Told them I was to dumb to open a door. I really payed attention during the orientation. I promise. Oh ya, please bring towels. They said they would be there in 5 minutes, but please try the door again. Went back to the apartment. The door opened!! This time I had turned the knob to the left. Did I try that before? I know I did. Ugh. How embarrassing. Am I jet-lagged or what? Guy shows up. I am embarrassed because I am inside the apartment. The door is not broken. It was an operator error. He brought towels and was cheerful and nice. Now for dinner... Next day we went to the grocery store. I am a coffee addict. The apartment has a coffee pot. Yes! Got all the fixings. Went back to the apartment with groceries in tow. Could not get the door open. Again. Ok. A little frustrated. Is it me? Called reception. They wanted me to please try again. Ran into housekeeper and she asked if she could help us. The housekeeper had the master key. Guess what? She could not get in either. I was kind of relieved. Anyway, two gentleman that were only 5 minutes away came over and fixed the door. Nice, but now I had no faith in the door. They did not seem to do anything special to the door, but maybe reset it. The next morning I wake up excited to make coffee in Prague. The coffee pot is broken. I am not calling for help again. That would be 3 problems in a short time. Mind you it is Dec. 24th. I understand this is the day Christmas is celebrated in Prague. Man I could become a serious nuisance here. Geesh. I have a holiday to be had. After spending the day out we came home to a bottle of wine and other goodies left from the manager thanking us for spending the holidays with them. Very nice. Hmmm. When do I want to deal with the coffee pot problem? Not now I have a vacation to live. On an important side note. Be aware there is no dryer in this apartment. I missed that. There is a washer machine, but no dryer. I must have overlooked that in my research. Maybe a assumed that because the apartment had a washer, it would have a dryer? Now, they say that guest control the thermostat, but I don't believe it. I read the book. The book explains how to adjust the temperature by turning the dial. I tried and nothing the changed. The temperature was always the same. When I finally got the coffee pot switched out I asked the guy and he said "Ya. You adjust it from there". I didn't really feel he was sure. No matter what I did the temperature never changed. It was really cold. We got home late, and I did not want to deal with it. I did not persist because I had other things to do on my vacation, and complaining is no fun...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
PragueCityApartments, Manager at Prague City Apartments Residence Masna, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Hi Lonna4591,

thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay. I am glad to read that you found residence Masna so well located, our team helpful and had wonderful Christmas time in Prague.

I am very sorry for the problems that you mention in your review. November and December are one of our busiest months of the year and there were times when we were unable to carry out minor repairs in between guest check ins and outs and on this occasion I think the door and the coffee pot fell foul of this. I am really sorry that you did not come to us to fix the coffee pot problem, we would have been more than happy to have come up and repaired or exchange it for you. As for the thermostat, it should be working - I've checked it myself so I'm not sure what happened there.

I can only apologize for the towel situation. Everyone who works here cares passionately about the standard of housekeeping and a situation like that certainly should not happen at all.
I already spoke with the housekeeping manager and we have taken some steps to prevent similar situations in the future.

On behalf of our management and team I would like to thank you for choosing Prague City Apartments for your stay. I'm really sorry that we fell short of your expectations in the maintenance factor. We have taken some immediate actions to resolve the issues you detailed for the benefit of other guests.

Best wishes,
Anna
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

Thank you for a well appointed, comfortable and functional apartment in a great location. Regular house cleaning was greatly appreciated. the staff at your office (Daniella) was very helpful and your arrangements for airport pickup and drop off were also excellent. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in Prague and apartment 503 at Masna 5.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
MA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Not only was the apartment just what we wanted but the staff were completely helpful. This included the fact that after we left, they found a couple of items of clothing we left. Staff has been amazingly helpful about getting these items back to us. The folks at Prague City Apartments also made it so easy for us to get our luggage moved from the apartment to their office as we needed to change hotels to meet up with our tour group, convening at another location. Our only disappointment was the breakfast arrangement. We had been under the impression from the website that there was a location, either in the building or nearby, where breakfast was provided. We always look forward to a provided breakfast right in our building before we start our day. Other than this, we have nothing but superlative comments for Prague City Apartments.

Room Tip: Our son slept on the pull out bed --- we added him in later after we had done the booking. He report...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We really got lucky on this one. Stayed in 404 which has a great view. Well appointed, not new, but not dingy and run down. A bakery "The Bakeshop" at the corner has divine bread, cakes and prepared food. Good for breakfast, lunch or supper, plus they know how to make coffee. The Old Town Square is a 3 - 4 minute walk and is at all times lively.

The agency that looks after this (and several other buildings) bends over backwards to be helpful. They arranged a car to pick us up at the train, and, when our train schedule got mixed up and I contacted them to let them know, they re-arranged the pick up time. Check in at their office was easy and then the driver took us to the apartment. Similarly, on leaving we asked for a pick up at 7:30 for the train and the car pulled up at 7:29. We had a few tiny issues with the cleaners and I informed the agency, as a courtesy to me for inconvenience, they left a bottle of wine in the suite. Great apartment, outstanding location, well maintained. We'll be back.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

Was at Prague on business for a month. Loved my stay at Residence Masna.

Location: perfect! A minute's walk from Old Town Square and namesti republiky. Winceslas and Charles bridge are a 10-min walk away.

Apartment: very neat and clean. While the building itself is old, it does not come across so in the apartments. And enough and more storage space for long-stayers like me.

Food: loads of options nearby. Vegetarians like me would relish the food at Maitrea - again a minute's walk. Supermarkets are nearby to stock up and cook in the apartment

Internet: I stayed in 201. wifi was flawless

Facilities: tv / washing machine / hair dryer / clothes airer / iron box and board / safe were all available. Used all of them and was largely happy. Iron box seemed a bit slow to work. But when I told them, they replaced it in the next few hours. And I asked for a table fan to be provided - again taken care of to my delight.

Noise: you do get to hear some sounds from the revelry around at night. But I found that manageable with the windows closed. Nothing worth complaining about. Can't complain anyway - U would get that anywhere in the centre I would think

Service: This was the topper! 24-hour presence at the reception office was quite useful. And they are very responsive on Skype - don't have to spend money on calling them up at roaming rates. Once I left them some offline messages on Skype, and they responded with the actions within a few hours without my having to remind them. And whenevr I wanted to go around the town, the receptionists were my guides for all local advice. They always went out of the way to let me know what I was after, sometimes taking pains to do the research for me when they didn't know the stuff themselves.

Above all, they have some of the prettiest ladies with the brightest smiles in Prague - from the receptionists to the housekeeping staff! :D

Thanks for the overall experience PCA. Am delighted enough to spend 15 mins on a Sunday morning writing this!

• Stayed August 2012
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2012

This is a well situated, well equipped apartment that suited us perfectly for our week long stay . The willingness to meet us at the airport was much appreciated. The arrangements for getting and using our access cards all worked well. The apartment was comfortable and well equipped (the pillows worked well) and quiet.We appreciated having a washing machine. It was by far the best apartment we stayed in on our travels yet provided great value for money. Highly recommended and we would stay there again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
, Manager at Prague City Apartments Residence Masna, responded to this review, July 4, 2012
Hi Henry B,

thank you for such a great review and rating us so higly here on Trip Advisor. We are all very happy to read that Masna was a good choice for your stay in Prague! I am particulary glad that you found the apartment well equipped as our goal is to provide great equipment in all the apartments including washing machine, ironing facilities, coffee makers etc. to make our guests feel at home.

Hopefully we will see you in Prague soon again!

Best wishes

Anna

Been to Prague City Apartments Residence Masna? Share your experiences!