“A very nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kampa Garden

You added Kampa Garden to your Saves list
Kampa Garden
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   U Sovovych Mlynu 543/9 | Lesser Town, Prague 118 00, Czech Republic (Mala Strana (Little Quarter))   |
Ranked #88 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
L.A.
“A very nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

We loved Prague, loved the Hotel, the location on Kampa Island. There was a little festival on the island or maybe ongoing music entertainment and some food vendors. (Be aware that they put a lot of food in your container and then you have to pay by weight!)
I would like to mention that our room was very small and the only one without a desk. I remembered that another guest had complained about it. When I mentioned this to the staff they said all rooms have a desk. So, she come up to the room to see for herself. I had to do the paper-work on the floor on top of my suit-case. We had to get out of each other's way when we wanted to get to the wardrobe. So, I thought this might be the lowest priced room, but I was told that they all were the same price on our floor. And some of the other rooms had a great view and also a little hall with a wardrobe separate from the room. But all in all we felt so lucky to be in the best... the best location in Prague!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
kampagarden, General Manager at Kampa Garden, responded to this review, November 1, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I am very sorry regarding the desk. Usually are all our rooms equipped with a desk. We will definitely take care and check the quipement in all rooms.I hope this was not a reason for not coming back. Please let me know if you plan your next visit to Prague. Have a nice time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Klaukkala, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2012

We first booked another hotel in the Lesser Town, but at arrival were told there was a problem with the booking and that they had arranged alternative accommodation. We were lucky, because Kampa Garden was actually nicer with an excellent location and quiet rooms. Would stay there again.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
kampagarden, General Manager at Kampa Garden, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I am glad you liked our hotel better. It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon. Kind regards
Midland, Michigan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We just finished an 8-day trip to Prague for our 30th anniversary. We decided to book our stay at Hotel Kampa Garden after doing some research on the web. For us, this was an excellent choice.
Here are some things to consider:

1. Not all the rooms offer the same level of comfort as we had. We stayed in room 204, which is a corner, deluxe-double. It is, I believe, the only room with a balcony. The view looks out on a narrow street and has no view of the bridge, but that was okay with us. The room was large, with high ceilings, large bath. It lacked sufficient space for toiletries, but closet space and hangars/hooks were ample. The tub/shower was nice. The room was very clean, and the windows/door opened to let in as much fresh air as we needed. The flatscreen TV was fine, but offered just CNN as the only English-spoken station. The room, as well as the hotel is not fancy and leans toward plain, but functional.

Some reviews have mentioned the hard beds, including our neighbors whom we met the first morning. They were canceling their stay because of the small room and hard beds. Their description did not match ours at all. Thus, you should ask about the type of room you're getting. Our beds were firm, but NOT hard. To us, they were very comfortable.

A pre-ordered basket of fruit and chocolates, with a bottle of sparkling wine and bouquet of roses were delivered to the room as a surprise to my spouse. A minibar is available in the rooms.

2. Breakfast each morning was plentiful and very good. The rolls, croissants, breads were fresh and high quality. Scrambled and hard boiled eggs, sausages (not the kind I like), fresh slices of ham, cheeses, cereals, yogurt, fruit, juices, and good coffee/espresso. I also noticed an eclectic mix of background music which added to the atmosphere. The breakfast room is 'in the basement', but had windows letting in the natural light. The canvas photographic prints on the walls were very high quality, and showed many scenes of Prague from unique perspectives.

3. The location of this hotel is a high point. Kampa Island is right off the Charles Bridge and has a variety of good pubs, restaurants, gardens, museums, parks, sitting areas. It is a very nice area to walk and relax. Venture up 3 flights of steps, and you're on the bridge and the magic it offers. We would walk a few blocks to catch Tram 22, which takes you either up to the Castle, or down towards New Town. The funicular to Petrin Park is easily walkable. Restaurants abound in this area. As a photographer, I was in heaven, as I could venture out in the early morning or late evening to get spectacular shots of the bridge and environs. This city is magical, and the views are incredible.

4. Internet access was not good in our room. Although there were several 'zones' of internet offered, ours would drop out, and then back on/off continually. So it was frustrating to use in our room. Sitiing in the lobby, however, you could get a fast, stable connection.

5. The staff at the desk was very friendly and accommodating. Their English is very good and they were very helpful. You can purchase tram tickets at the front desk, and they will provide tour information, and schedule airport transport for you (~$30 USD).

Would we stay here again? Most probably, since we know what to expect and feel the hotel provides a great value. We scheduled our trip more than 40 days ahead and took advantage of a special 20% discount. Not bad!

Room Tip: If you value space, choose a deluxe double. One side of the hotel faces a narrow street, which has l...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Arles, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

We spent 6 nights at The Kampa Garden Hotel and we found it a good choice. the location is good and we just had to cross the Charles Bridge to be in the old town. It is quiet. the room is spacious as well as the bathroom. The reception is friendly. The WIFI was not working well but they were going to fix it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Arrived in Prague to be met by Holiday Taxis very good taken to Hotel dropped off luggage and started to tour Prague. Wonderful city vibrant multi cultural with things for all to see and do.
Our Hotel was clean and the reception staff were very friendly helping with milk and tea cups. Beds are a bit on the hard side but after long days of walking we were all too tired to worry about that. Reception is quite small and not room to sit and natter but we were not in the hotel for long apart from breakfast and sleeping.
Breakfast was basic but there was enough to eat to start the day, fresh rolls and bread, cold meat and cheese. Sausage and scrambled egg also hard boiled. Cereals and juices.
Shower was nice and hot and room was clean except for the chair which let it down and could do with a good clean.
Walk, ride boat or tram this hotel is situated at the end of Charles Bridge and in a wonderful location for everywhere. We would definately stay there again.

Room Tip: One couple had room at front, just a little noise from cleaners but nothing to complain about One c...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
kampagarden, General Manager at Kampa Garden, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and I hope to welcome you back soon. I apologize for the chair in the room and we will arrange a cleanup. We look forward to your visit in the future again. Wish you a good time.
Vitoria, ES
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The staff was wonderfull.the hotel is at the Kampa Island very close to everithing. Clean and pleasant. I would recomend.Is also calm and wellcoming.The best location in Prague .Breakfast could be betttr.

Room Tip: Nice staff
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
kampagarden, General Manager at Kampa Garden, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear Guest, Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor. It was a pleasure for us to have you in our hotel. I am pleased to hear, that our staff met your expectations. I hope to welcome you back soon. Kind regards
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Had a very pleasant 6-night stay here a few weeks ago. The girl at the front desk was very accommodating and let me check in a few hours earlier than I was supposed to, and helpful with providing maps and tram information and mailing my postcards for me.

Room was fine - liked that there was a fridge/minibar to put my water... they also provide slippers, laundry service, mini bottle of shampoo, tea bags and kettle... It could have been a little cleaner though - the chair was a little stained and dirty and the blinds in the washroom had little smashed bugs all over it...

Free breakfast buffet was good - nice little pastries, scrambled and hard-boiled eggs, sausages, juice, coffee, tea, cereal, yogurt, bread, cheeses, cold meats, tomato slices, cucumber. REALLY appreciated that they packed me a bag lunch/breakfast when I had to check out early (thus before breakfast service started) - they gave me two sandwiches, a pastry, and an apple, which was nice to have on the bus ride to Cesky Krumlov.

Note that there is a 500 kc deposit when you check in for the minibar (they accept Euros too) so have some cash on you! Also, luggage storage is in a communal locker on Floor "0", if you need it.

Location is fantastic for those who want a more peaceful location and don't mind walking an extra 5 minutes to the "centre" of town. The Charles Bridge is just around the corner, maybe 5 minutes away, and I got some great alone time on it as I was up early a lot and could take morning strolls down the bridge before the flood of tourists came. There was a little food festival just around the corner while I was there, though I think it changed to a general market later on. Little mini markets (and the bigger Biomarket) are close by, as are little cafes and the Shakespeare and Sons bookstore. Lots of nearby tram stops -- had no problems getting to the main train station or to the UAN Florenc Student Agency bus station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Dear Sir, Thank you for sharing your opinion on Tripadvisor with other travelers.
I am glad you had a pleasent stay in our hotel. I will immediately check all rooms and tighten the control of purity with our housekeeping staff. It is nice to hear you liked our breakfast choice. Even though we still try to improve the breakfast choice and we are working on a complete breakfast room renovation and equipment. From tomorrow we are also going to have a new coffe machine with a 100% Arabica coffee offer. We are also now going to serve hot chcolate. I apologize for the inconvenience of taking a deposit, but we had a lot of guests checking out without paying the minibar consumption. I hope we can welcome you again in our hotel soon.

Been to Kampa Garden? Share your experiences!