“FABULOUS!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Praha

You added Grand Hotel Praha to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Praha
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Staromestske Namesti 481/22, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))   |
Special Offer
TripAdvisor special offer
Ranked #116 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Glasgow, Scotland
“FABULOUS!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013 via mobile

I, and two friends, are just back from the most wonderful five days' stay in this wonderful little hotel. I booked directly from Scotland, and was extremely impressed by Jana who responded to all my emails/ phone calls patiently and promptly. She even managed to get concert tickets for us despite their being unavailable on the internet! We were met at the airport by our driver, a charming and erudite man who pointed out many places of interest en route. When minutes away from Old Town Square he phoned the hotel to alert the bell boy who was waiting for us as we parked. As has been said, the Grand Hotel has what MUST be the very best location in Prague, and the Christmas market outside was magical. The Christmas tree defies description, save to say it was magnificent. We explored the city every day - on foot, and none of us "spring chickens"! Not once did we need to use taxis or public transport. All staff members were unfailingly helpful and friendly at all times. The highlight of our stay was the musical dinner eventing the Cafe Mozart on the first floor.....beautiful music, delicious food and stunning views. We really cannot praise this hotel too highly, and we are all looking forward to returning.
Dekuji moc, Grand Hotel!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your great respond to our acommodation and thank you for maken my day :) I will pass your respond to Jana as well.

I would also like to wish you all the best in the New Year 2014 and hopefully we will have the great pleasure and accommodate you with us again this year!
Lenka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Polish first
Bergen, Norway
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

If you looking for a place with it closeness to the old marked place and and a place to feel looked after and comfort this is the hotel to look for. Rooms and service is fantastic so is the people working here. We were here when they lit the lovely Christmas tree and yes this is place to be with your love ones at this time of the year

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your lovely respond to our accommodation!!!
It is such a great pleasure to read reviews like yours and we do apreciated it!!!

Lenka
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2013

My partner and I stayed in mid December for 5 days in the hotel. We had room 220 which is at the back of the hotel. The room was spotless, had a massive bed (british superking) and very well kept. We were overall happy with the hotel and the Christmas markets in Prague are amazing and I wouldn't visit Prague any other time now its so beautiful. One of the male porters was very helpful as my boyfriend tripped the electric in our room, he was straight to help us, the tv also needed tuning which he did for us the next day aswell :).
However me and my partner did have some problems! I understand the hotel is in the centre of the city and a busy area but the noise in the nights we found put a downer on our holiday. I am not a picky person but we found it difficult to sleep here. The noise from the restaurant below constantly throwing bottles in the recycling was continuous until about 2 am and then you would be woken up early in the morning again. The alley behind the hotel is quiet until night time where everyone decides its time to scream and shout and throw out their recycling! Got woken by some very unwelcome noise of two people enjoying a bit too much! But we did find it rather funny! We understand a city will be noisy but I felt it was pointless to complain as anywhere else in the hotel is going to be equally as noisy and even though its double glazed and sound proofed if you are used to sleeping in a quiet environment this you will find a problem. We would be so tired that after breakfast we would go back to bed to sleep (in a way this didn't really bother us as we would stay out until about midnight as the atmosphere is beautiful outside in the night and restaurants are still open.) However, on three separate occasions we would put the DO NOT DISTURB sign on the door to have the cleaning ladies just walk in. The first time we thought this was just a mistake but they did it every time. It became extremely irritating and I felt we couldn't relax.. we would lock the door but they could override it which they kept doing! Its not nice to have your privacy imposed on in your hotel room continuously. I know their just doing their job and they were very friendly but I was becoming annoyed with this.
The breakfast we found good and the view is AMAZING the room is very classy and tastefully decorated. The breakfast could do with a bit of mixing up now and again to give guests a change and stop playing the same song on a loop.. we weren't the only ones complaining of this quite a few people said it was irritating by morning five it was driving me insane!! Apart from this we thought the hotel was beautiful, the staff are lovely and helpful, its very warm and has everything on its doorstep.
The final thing which really upset me and ruined the end of our holiday was when we had left the hotel. When we were halfway to the airport our taxi driver who we had arrannged transfers from the hotel had a phonecall from the receptionist. They were talking for a while in Czech so we were oblivious there was a problem. Turned out she wanted us to pay the taxi driver money for our transfers? My boyfriend explained we had paid. We had payed her at the desk before leaving for our transfer to the airport. She kept saying we hadn't paid, I explained to her before we arrived my boyfriend had arranged transfers and the male member of staff had strictly said "You have free transfers to the hotel arranged do not pay the taxi driver any money". I tried explaining this to the lady but she kept saying no and she wanted more money. I was extremely annoyed at this we had spent the last of our kurona in the xmas markets and had no money but I wasn't going to pay extra money. She wanted me to now pay the taxi driver! I said no I wasn't going to she has made a mistake and I have no money. To which she replied "give me your credit card details then". This I found absolutely disgusting and I was appaled at how we were being treated! They had made the mistake and she wants me to give all my credit card details in front of a complete stranger. This I found very bad service and as soon as I kept saying this she basically said "oh okay don't worry". I don't know what happened here but it made me feel extremely awkward but I was not parting with my money if it is they who are making the mistake.
The hotel overall was lovely and we were happy but the odd few factors did let us down. The staff were amazing apart from our bad experience but I would not this lady put a dark shadow over other members of staff!

Room Tip: If you need quiet to sleep this hotel won't be for you unfortunately :(
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation!
I am truly sorry, that you have some big problems while staying with us in Grand hotel Praha!
We have spoke to all our cleaning stuff and try to find out, what happend and why they ignor your sign on the door and we have been told, that no one did not enter your room with such a sign. So it is very hard to find exactly who did it and why, on other hand we have had a stuff meeting and told all of them, that this is a big problem and this can not be happening, so I would like to apologize about that and let you know, that we are all very sorry about it! We have also spoke to the stuff in the restaurant below and ask them to do the recycling later in the morning, so they do not disturb our guests!
Regards the transfer fee, I would just like to explain, that you have prepayed one way pick up transfer, which is 30 EUR and the departure transfer was not prepayed so that is why you were asked to pay this fee. I am sorry that you were not ask to pay this fee on reception before your departure and reception stuff could not explain to you, why you need to pay for it.

Ones again I do apologize about all this and I do hope, that you will give us another try!
Leigh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2013 via mobile

Visiting Prague for the first time we could not have asked for a better location to visit the many (and I mean many) tourist locations. Situated opposite the Old Town Clock you are right in the middle of the Old Town Square. Charles Bridge is 7 minutes by foot and Wenceslas Sq is 10 mins in the opposite direction. We were blessed by coming to Prague a week before Christmas, and the markets are truly out of this world. The hotel is that close, that an open window gives the smells of the food on offer...and there is some stunning food.

The hotel itself is very clean and staff very friendly. Our room had a huge bed with impressive bathroom with all you could expect...the mini bar was fully stocked if wanted, but made a convenient fridge if not.

We could not have asked for a better location on a first visit to Prague...Breakfast overlooking the 14th Century clock followed by a walk round one of the most picturesque cities in Europe, believe me can not be beaten.

Truly loved our stay, and we will be back to Prague as soon as possible.

I write this as I'm here now, and the smell of the Christmas markets is calling...if you do stay here, I hope your stay is as enjoyable as ours...Off to get a sausage......

Na Zdravi (cheers in Czech)

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
Dear Sir/Madama,

your review is great, thank you for that, I actualy had to laugh while reading it, Na zdravi, :)
I am glad, that you have choose our hotel for your first visit to Prague and I do wish that it will be not the last time but first time of many more to come! :) thank you!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

Really a pleasant change from the unending rolecall of hiltons, plazas etc. it is a quirky old place on 3 old houses in the old town square but absolutely modern refurbishment. Staff are first class and even by Czech standards very friendly. We were there the week before Christmas - boy was it festive. Huge Christmas tree and market in the square. Gluhwein and children's carols - the lot. Room (deluxe) was well insulated and very quiet. Will definitely return . Thank you!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Sir/Madama,

thank you very much for your great respond to our accommodation and I am glad to read, that you have got, what we are trying to provide for our guests here and that is home away from home :) so yuy for you!!!
I do hope, that we will have the great pleasure to accommodate you wit us again in the near future!

Venice, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2013

Ok, my wife and I travel a lot (we are blessed and we know it)…we have been to 15 counties and over 70 cities in the last 2 years or so while living in Europe, we stay at all sorts of places high and low level. Went here for the Thanksgiving weekend. Did lots of research as my wife has a medical condition which makes stairs an obstacle. We even contacted the hotel and were confirmed into the Presidential Suite which looks directly at the clock on the main square…which it did…you can’t see the Main Square unless you were to climb out the window but the clock was directly across from this room…so why am I writing…because (as another reviewer warned) when we got there, having paid in advance, we were told that we could NOT have the room we paid for and they offered 2 alternatives one in a different building all stairs and a non-suite on a lower floor…we asked “Why we can’t have the room we booked, paid in advance for and contacted and confirmed…” the very nice front desk staff told us the manager told them so. Not “it is in maintenance” or some such…after a few moments they offered a dinner at their restaurant (only after my Wife asked) to make it better…yea that did not make it better as the cost of these room was VERY different we asked to be left alone…after a few more minutes the very nice front desk girl said we could have the Presidential suite after all…I asked if she had spoken to her manager…she said no, but we were taken to the room after 30 minutes of the staff trying to convince us to take the bait and switch alternative…there are simply to many great options in Prague to bother with this kind of place…The Hotel was otherwise a nice 2 star hotel…no hotel Bar (ok, they have one but block it off from midafternoon for the rest of the night as it is co-located with dining room where they have small musical events…still on the Street for a drink). Nothing special about this place and clearly appears to try to bait and switch its upper level rooms (BTW the Presidential Suite was just ok, The House Keeping was FANTASTIC…super clean even put a little Christmas Tree in our room A+ to the housekeeping Staff)….won’t stay there again…will go back Prague…Great City.

Room Tip: Go someplace else
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, December 9, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for your respond to our accommodation.
I am very sorry to read, that you have had a bad experiance staying with us, but let me just explain our side of the matter, thank you!
I am not to sure, why you have stated, that you can not see directly at th Old Town Square, let me just assure you, that this is impossible, as our adress is Staromestske Namesti so our hotel is situated directly opposite the Astronomical Clock, with the Square directly on the right side, yes, you can not have both of the historic sights directly infront of you, but you can most definitely see Old Town Square from the Presidential Apartment!
I would like to apologize about the restaurant, which has got their own manager, however I am sure, that no one will attract you in to our Cafe and then do not have what they attract you on in the first place, that is definitely not what we are doing here in Grand hotel Praha and I stand by it!!!
Ovr all you have stated that our hotel stuff and rooms were just fine so I am glad to read, that and let me assure you, that with such a bad review you are totaly distroying our reputation, which is very important for all of us here!

Walsall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with my wife for a five night visit at the start of November. Excellent location. Strongly recommend booking a room that looks out onto the square. May be a little noisy if you wish to keep windows open at night but being in the centre of the old city is well worth any inconvenience. Booked direct with the hotel via the website. Very good response to enquiries by email or phone. Package included one way transfer from the airport which was very efficient. On arrival near the hotel, we were met at the car by a hotel porter for the short walk across the square to the hotel. Can't complain about the taxi not being allowed to drive right up to the hotel as this keeps traffic out of the square. Lovely big old fashioned room (deluxe) which could have benefitted from a couple of easy chairs but furnishings matched the ethos of the building. Very large, comfortable bed. Modern bathroom with no plumbing problems. High standard of cleanliness. No tea / coffee in rooms but no problem as we took small travel kettle and made our own drinks. No difficulties with electricity connections. Lovely breakfasts in the Mozart restaurant looking out over the square. Staff extremely polite and helpful throughout, particularly with assistance in using local transport to get around and out of the city. We thoroughly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
KahuPrague, Manager at Grand Hotel Praha, responded to this review, November 28, 2013
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for such a long and amazing respond to our accommodation, that just made our work worth is!!! Thank you!!!

We do hope, that we will have the great pleasure to accommodate you with us again in the near future!
Lenka Kotalikova

Been to Grand Hotel Praha? Share your experiences!