“Perfect Prague” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 260 Prague B&B and Inns
Washington, DC
“Perfect Prague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013

Do not look any further and book your stay at the Lida! Jiri and Jan and their wives are amazing hosts who provide pick up and drop off to/from the airport for below market price, a thorough orientation to Prague and a hearty breakfast. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and bright. The neighborhood is very safe and residential with lots of public transportation options nearby. The service for value is absolutely unbeatable! Book it!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

338 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in Prague and it wasn't enough! This guest house was recommended by friends who had lived at this guest house previously. Indeed, it was very cozy and one of the owners, George for his American name, was very accommodating and extremely helpful with questions. We were picked up from the train station and driven to the guesthouse.

It's very well appointed. The room for 3 of us was very comfortable and nicely furnished. The bathroom was clean and very modern...I love it. I particularly, am a creature of comfort, and this place was really nice and spacious. No air-conditioner as it doesn't get sweltering hot it seems. They have an electric fan in the room, nonetheless.

No lifts, so we were assigned to the 3rd floor, and they carry your luggage for you. So that was all well. However, if you have knee problems, which I was having at that time, you might want to ask for a lower floor.

Taxis are easy to get and inexpensive, but we took the subway for most part. It's a 10-minute walk on mostly cobbled streets with a minor uphill grade going home.nOur daughter, who was wearing an orthopedic boot due to a foot fracture, managed this well enough for most days. There are some fine restaurants nearby, a good 10-minute walk, too.

Only glitch was the internet in our room was so hit-or-miss. We had to go down to the lounge area in order to get better connection. Minor concern if you're needing to get in touch wirelessly.

Breakfast was very good but no hot foods. Typical cold cuts, hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, bread and cereals. But one thing I must say is that George particularly always brought out my favorite brand of milk for breakfast as I didn't like the taste of a previous brand they used. I never had to ask again...MY milk was always there when I sat down to eat.

They don't take credit cards, so one needs to be prepared to pay in cash. I highly recommend this guesthouse to anyone wanting to visit Prague. It's away from the city, in a nice residential district, so it isn't noisy at all. In fact, we wake up to the sound of birds.

It is no wonder that TripAdvisor gives them a good rating. They deserve it.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

Owners Jan and Jiri spend time with each guest going over transportation, local events, tours, sites, etc. They make every arrangement for you whether it's tickets to a concert or an airport pickup. Breakfast is delicious in a warm sunny room. I enjoyed the 10 minute walk through the neighborhood to take the tram into the city. As a single traveler, I couldn't have been more satisfied.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

From this wonderful old house, now a B&B, one can easily reach all parts of Prague by either the tram or the metro. Worth its weight in gold was the half hour or more that Jiri spent with us upon our arrival to explain the metro system and the tram system. We never had a problem navigating our way around Prague. Jiri povided maps of both the transporation system and the city. He showed us where major sites were located and which trams to take to get there. Jiri also pronounced the stops for us so we got a feeling of what to listen for. It was a huge help. The Czech language is not a romance language - so it is harder to read and figure out than if one were in France, Italy, or even Germany.
Jiri and his wife, Janna, have a wonderful breakfast ready for guests every morning. They work very hard and keep everything clean and perfect in the breakfast room (and everywhere else). Typical of the thoughtfulness they have toward their guests, the breakfast room is available to guests throughout the day; and guests can go down and purchase snacks, Czech wines, and soft drinks - all on the honor system. They are just kind people.
One of the other things that was very helpful to my traveling companion and me is that Jiri will pick guests up and drop them off at the train or bus stations or at the airport. On Rick Steves, I had read about concerns with Prague taxi drivers. I was going to try to navigate my way to the Lida Guest House by public transportation, but Jiri mentioned in an email that he would be willing to pick us up. I was SO glad. While public transportation was do-able, I did not feel confident arriving in a city of over one million people, not knowing the language, and hoping that I got on the right trams and metros.
Jiri also took me to the airport when I left to return to the US. Not only was it so much easier than trying to navigate the public transportation system, I had the added bonus of being able to chat with Jiri for a half an hour. He is a wonderful man. My only regret is that I did not have the opportunity to talk to him and his wife more about their lives and their wonderful country.
The room we stayed in was part of the former living room of the house. It had lots of windows and its own spacious bathroom. There was a very old cherry tree outside our bathroom window. The cherries were ripe and I think some of them found their way to the breakfast table. The beds were comfortable and everything was clean and pleasant. There is also a library and computer room that is available for the guests.
After we checked in and got oriented, we ventured into the old town. It was a very easy trip. As soon as I saw what a party town the old town is, I was extraordinarily grateful that we were staying in the quiet, but convenient Lida Guest House. I cannot imagine how noisy it would be to stay in the old town. There are thousands and thousands of twenty-somethings who seem to be in Prague for a city-wide party that does not start until 10:00 p.m. Very fun if you are twenty, but less fun if you are at a different point in your life.
The two last things I wanted to mention are laundry and transportation. I had been hiking around the Czech Republic for about a week. My clothes were dirty. Jiri and Janna will wash clothes and hang them out on the line for a very nominal price. I was so grateful to have fresh, clean clothes for the five days I was in Prague. -- And regarding transportation, Jiri has the forethought that not every person will be in Prague for three days or less. As in most larger European cities, a traveler can purchase a 3-day or a 7-day pass on the public transportation system. I needed more than three days, but less than seven days. Jiri, being an intelligent and thoughtful host, has anticipated this need. He has month long passes that he prorates over the days that a guest might need them. A small, but brilliant accommodation.
All in all, I could not recommend Lida Guest House highly enough! It is not a grand hotel (if that is what you are looking for): it is a very comfortable home, complete with quietude, kindness, and thoughtfulness. Jiri, Jan, and Janna are wonderful hosts!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed with wife in the guesthouse in early June when Prague was effected by floods. The hosts were extremely helpful with getting around the city even with the public transport interupted by the floods. there is a train station about a 5 min walk from the b&b which takes you to the city centre in about 7 min. The b&b is located in a very nice are of Prage 4 and has great views from the balcony. It's very hard to find fault with this place, even parking is available outside. However, the best part of the whole stay is the amazing breakfast that gets served up in the morning, probably the best i've had when being away from home.

Room Tip: There are quite a few stairs to climb to get to the rooms, so if you have heavy suitcases ask for th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very clean, bedrooms with attached showers, Plentiful breakfast, very accommodating hosts. We travelled with our 80 yr old father. The stairs and distance to the metro were a bit hard on him, and our rental car came in very useful. For the rest of us, the short walk to the metro was just fine . Lots of useful information from the hosts when we got there, competitive costs for rides to and from the airport. Would recommend it to anyone for whom ultimate luxury is not the be all end all of what makes a good place to stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Everything about Lida was absolutely wonderful. The room was beautiful, the location was so convenient and easy to find, breakfast was great, but most of all Jan and Jitka were the best hosts. So welcoming and helpful, Jan made it so easy to find good restaurants and "must go" places in Prague. We had such a wonderful time. We will only stay here when visiting Prague!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Lida Guest House? Share your experiences!