“Grateful for Great Hosts and Quiet Room” 5 of 5 stars

You added Lida Guest House to your Saves list
Lida Guest House
Lopatecka 26, Prague, Czech Republic (Praha 4)   |
Ranked #8 of 353 Prague B&B and Inns
“Grateful for Great Hosts and Quiet Room”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

From this wonderful old house, now a B&B, one can easily reach all parts of Prague by either the tram or the metro. Worth its weight in gold was the half hour or more that Jiri spent with us upon our arrival to explain the metro system and the tram system. We never had a problem navigating our way around Prague. Jiri povided maps of both the transporation system and the city. He showed us where major sites were located and which trams to take to get there. Jiri also pronounced the stops for us so we got a feeling of what to listen for. It was a huge help. The Czech language is not a romance language - so it is harder to read and figure out than if one were in France, Italy, or even Germany.
Jiri and his wife, Janna, have a wonderful breakfast ready for guests every morning. They work very hard and keep everything clean and perfect in the breakfast room (and everywhere else). Typical of the thoughtfulness they have toward their guests, the breakfast room is available to guests throughout the day; and guests can go down and purchase snacks, Czech wines, and soft drinks - all on the honor system. They are just kind people.
One of the other things that was very helpful to my traveling companion and me is that Jiri will pick guests up and drop them off at the train or bus stations or at the airport. On Rick Steves, I had read about concerns with Prague taxi drivers. I was going to try to navigate my way to the Lida Guest House by public transportation, but Jiri mentioned in an email that he would be willing to pick us up. I was SO glad. While public transportation was do-able, I did not feel confident arriving in a city of over one million people, not knowing the language, and hoping that I got on the right trams and metros.
Jiri also took me to the airport when I left to return to the US. Not only was it so much easier than trying to navigate the public transportation system, I had the added bonus of being able to chat with Jiri for a half an hour. He is a wonderful man. My only regret is that I did not have the opportunity to talk to him and his wife more about their lives and their wonderful country.
The room we stayed in was part of the former living room of the house. It had lots of windows and its own spacious bathroom. There was a very old cherry tree outside our bathroom window. The cherries were ripe and I think some of them found their way to the breakfast table. The beds were comfortable and everything was clean and pleasant. There is also a library and computer room that is available for the guests.
After we checked in and got oriented, we ventured into the old town. It was a very easy trip. As soon as I saw what a party town the old town is, I was extraordinarily grateful that we were staying in the quiet, but convenient Lida Guest House. I cannot imagine how noisy it would be to stay in the old town. There are thousands and thousands of twenty-somethings who seem to be in Prague for a city-wide party that does not start until 10:00 p.m. Very fun if you are twenty, but less fun if you are at a different point in your life.
The two last things I wanted to mention are laundry and transportation. I had been hiking around the Czech Republic for about a week. My clothes were dirty. Jiri and Janna will wash clothes and hang them out on the line for a very nominal price. I was so grateful to have fresh, clean clothes for the five days I was in Prague. -- And regarding transportation, Jiri has the forethought that not every person will be in Prague for three days or less. As in most larger European cities, a traveler can purchase a 3-day or a 7-day pass on the public transportation system. I needed more than three days, but less than seven days. Jiri, being an intelligent and thoughtful host, has anticipated this need. He has month long passes that he prorates over the days that a guest might need them. A small, but brilliant accommodation.
All in all, I could not recommend Lida Guest House highly enough! It is not a grand hotel (if that is what you are looking for): it is a very comfortable home, complete with quietude, kindness, and thoughtfulness. Jiri, Jan, and Janna are wonderful hosts!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

I stayed with wife in the guesthouse in early June when Prague was effected by floods. The hosts were extremely helpful with getting around the city even with the public transport interupted by the floods. there is a train station about a 5 min walk from the b&b which takes you to the city centre in about 7 min. The b&b is located in a very nice are of Prage 4 and has great views from the balcony. It's very hard to find fault with this place, even parking is available outside. However, the best part of the whole stay is the amazing breakfast that gets served up in the morning, probably the best i've had when being away from home.

Room Tip: There are quite a few stairs to climb to get to the rooms, so if you have heavy suitcases ask for th...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very clean, bedrooms with attached showers, Plentiful breakfast, very accommodating hosts. We travelled with our 80 yr old father. The stairs and distance to the metro were a bit hard on him, and our rental car came in very useful. For the rest of us, the short walk to the metro was just fine . Lots of useful information from the hosts when we got there, competitive costs for rides to and from the airport. Would recommend it to anyone for whom ultimate luxury is not the be all end all of what makes a good place to stay

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Truckee, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Everything about Lida was absolutely wonderful. The room was beautiful, the location was so convenient and easy to find, breakfast was great, but most of all Jan and Jitka were the best hosts. So welcoming and helpful, Jan made it so easy to find good restaurants and "must go" places in Prague. We had such a wonderful time. We will only stay here when visiting Prague!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Austin,TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

We just stayed at Lida for 4 nights, and add our praises to the chorus on Tripadvisor. You couldn't ask for nicer hosts or a homier base for exploring Prague. The breakfast was great, the room was great, and the public transportation was easily accessible. We hope to,return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Overland Park, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2013

To me, there is only one clear choice of where to stay in Prague - Guest House Lida. This is so much more than a place to stay - here you feel like a friend. Lida is located in a quiet residential neighborhood but yet minutes away from the sites by tram or subway. Rates are more than reasonable; rooms are clean and comfortable; breakfast is generous, and there is a computer for guest use. But the real reason to stay here are your hosts. Jan and Jiri consistently go out of their way for their guests. On my arrival, I was warmly greeted, given coffee and dessert, and Jiri sat down with a city map, gave recommendations, showed me the quickest tram lines, and a great locals restaurant with good Czech cuisine (even writing down the names of some dishes). He gave me his card with his own phone number on the back and said to call if I needed any help. They were always there with a smile, a warm greeting, and help for each guest. Each day he would help me with whatever my plans were for that day. I met his brother, Jitka, and his wife my last day. I'm sure they provide the same personalized service. My trip took me to Prague, Vienna, Salzburg, and Munich. One of my fondest memories is my stay at Lida. This is hospitality at its best.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Norman, OK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

My wife and I stayed for 6 nights (May 15-21) at Lida Guest House. Jiri and Janna were the nicest hosts that we have ever had. The room was spotless, with a very modern bathroom. The bed was the best that we have had on this European trip, and there was no noise at night. Breakfast was generous and the best part of the stay was the personal attention that Jiri and Janna give in order to make the Prague experience special. This place is one of the best for the money that you will ever stay in, and my wife and I have traveled a lot all over the world, so we have plenty to compare it to. Van & Candace Hottle

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple