“Good value! Excellent breakfast! Great location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of EA Hotel Royal Esprit

You added EA Hotel Royal Esprit to your Saves list
EA Hotel Royal Esprit
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jakubska 5 | Old Town, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Praha 1)   |
Ranked #367 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good value! Excellent breakfast! Great location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I read many reviews about this hotel before getting there and some truly scared me. Here is what I found:
The outside of the hotel is not impressive but the hotels location is excellent. It is a short walk to Old Town Square, next door to two major shopping centers (5 min. walk), 5 minutes walk to metro and tram stop. It is hard to imagine a better location in Prague and I was able to walk to most attractions. There is a major supermarket three minutes walk from the hotel.
The staff is very friendly and I was able to arrange for a taxi to wait for me at the airport by calling the hotel ahead of time.
It is true that the hallway carpets are tired and need replacing.
The room was spacious. This is an old building with thick walls so, I cannot truly understand the complaints about the noise. For me, it was enough to close the windows. It is in the center of the city, so, you can not expect better than that. It is actually a bit away from the main noise from restaurants and probably more quiet than most hotels in that area. Also, the first two days i stayed there the weather was quite hot but I found that the temperature in the room was not bad, probably because of the thick walls. I did not feel a need for air conditioning at any time of my four nights stay.
Bathroom is updated with tiles and quite nice looking. Towels were actually fine (see picture). Breakfast was excellent (see pictures) and I can not imagine that anyone could possible say otherwise. It was also different every day. I found the breakfast room decor actually charming and I liked the music that we had every morning.
Overall, I was happy with my choice and I thought that it was a great value for money.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Farar-Hotel_manager, Front Office Manager at EA Hotel Royal Esprit, responded to this review, January 16, 2014
Dear Liljana,

thank very very much for this nice comment.

We realy apreciate that you enjoy your stay here. Just few words. There are new towels and new carpets throuhg the building!

The music you were listening was R. A. Dvorský.

One more time let me thank you for your comment and I believe that with your next Prague experience you will stay again in our hotel.

Jiří Kulovaný

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Chester
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The positives.Location, it's around the corner from Municipal House/Powder Gate, 5 to 10 minutes from the Old Town Square, 15 minutes from Wenceslas Square. Decent free wi-fi. Good breakfast selection.
The negatives. Location, the street can be noisy at night and there is a church across the road that rings it's bells on the hour all night long (possibly they do this to ward off the drinkers who seem to think it's ok to climb up on the wall between the buttresses and urinate on the building). Poor quality towels. Discoloured water from the cold taps.
Now, given the reasonable price of this hotel, the towels you can probably live with, and the noise is easily catered for if, like me, you carry ear plugs. However I couldn't recommend the place until they resolve the problem with the plumbing.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear CheshireRockFan,

thank you for your comment.

We are truly sorry about discoloured water from the taps and I am sure that it will not happen again. About the towels. The old ones were removed and there are new through the whole building.

Thank you again for your comment and I hope that with your next stay in Prague you will stay again in our hotel.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2013

Let's start with the positives: Great location. Free, decent speed wi-fi.
So much for positives.
First and foremost, let's mention that we arrived in Prague during a tropical heatwave. Temperature outside was 34-36 degrees Celsius/96 Fahrenheit.
Checkin takes approx 15-20 minutes /room/person. Really bad experience there. We were asked to pay upfront, which we gladly did. To our surprise (the hotel claims they're a FOUR STAR product) - there was no air conditioning in the rooms. Instead, we were offered cheap table top electric fans that made more noise than wind. The hotel decor is very tired and in desperate need of refurbishment. The public areas are dirty/scruffy. The room smells damp, furniture and fit out is very dated. The bathroom is very tired, and the water is of yellow colour. The towels were torn/ripped. power went out the 1st night and it was pitch black for nearly 30 mins. Breakfast restaurant is like going back to the 70's - and I don't mean it in a nice way.
Apparently, the only air conditioned rooms are on floor 4 and 5. You have to book a business package (10EUR extra) to enjoy A/C. We received no such information during check-in.
Overall - if you absolutely HAVE TO stay there, make sure you either get an upgrade, or come in winter.
This hotel is a perfect example of how desperate we are in Europe for a uniformed, official star-rating system, that actually means something to clients and isn't abused by hoteliers taking unfair advantage of heavy demand.

Room Tip: book only the 4th and 5th floor - or forget about air conditioning.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Dear TAExpert1976,

thank you for your commet. A negativ comment is also good comment.

At first, please, let me inform that our hotel is a member of "The Czech Association of Hotels and Restaurants" and this association shall take care to meet the specified standards.

We are realy sorry that your check-in tooks so much time. We made few changes in our staffing and I am sure that check-in these days will take around 5 minutes.

Our hotel was build in 1924 and we continue in this "art deco" style. In last few months we changed carpets and towels through the building and also halls and rooms are newly painted. Again in art deco style.

One more time thank you for your commet and I am sure that your next stay will be much more comfortable.

Oceanside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

The staff and the room were fine, but the location of the room is critical. Many clubs nearby close down and the party people hit the streets around 2:00 a.m. They are not obnoxious, but they are loud. Ask where your room is located and avoid anything external. Check to make sure the mini-fridge is working. Mine wasn't and they offered me a different room. The hair dryer was also 'unique' and inefficient. Breakfast buffet was excellent, but don't look for a restaurant. The entry just above reception is directly into an Asian restaurant, so don't expect Czech delicacies on site. Reception staff made every effort and were most cordial.

Room Tip: In my 3 weeks in Eastern Europe I discovered that single rooms were inevitably on the street. I was...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Farar-Hotel_manager, Front Office Manager at EA Hotel Royal Esprit, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Dear Jocelyn,

thank you very much for your respond. Every single one is important for us.

Jus few words to your comment. Minibars are new and working in all rooms as new hiar dryers are.

The restaurant in our bulding does not belong to our hotel (they are our subtenants) and yes it is asian restaurant and they know how to cook very well.

It is good and important that you enjoyed your stay here and we hope that next trip to Europe will leads you back to our hotel Royal Esprit.

Jirka & Royal Esprit team
Budapest, Hungary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

This is a well worth it for the price hotel. The location is unbeatable. Only a short walk to Old Town Square and all other attractions. Our room was bigger then expected with a separate lounge area. Our room faced the street so you do hear some noise, but that is totally expected in a big city. The breakfast was good with a lot of cold cut options and some worm sausages. Better then a American continental breakfast for sure. The only draw back we experienced at this location was the elevator breaking down while we were there. Which in a way was good as we got some extra exercise all on the house. I would recommend this to couples, young and old. We brought my older parents as well and they enjoyed their room as well. And I think it would be very suitable for families with children as well, much due to the fact that the rooms are bigger then those I stayed in before in Prague. Be aware if you have problems getting in and out of bathtubs, worth to mention that this hotel have bathtubs in all room with a high step over point. Another remark, and I might be picky about these things, is the mattress. In Prague be prepared for a very simple mattress. If you are used to the US standard be aware. At this location I have to say the mattress were a tiny bit better or should I say thicker. Most places have a bed board with a slim mattress, good for those with back problems.

Room Tip: There are rooms with a separate little lounge area, try to get those.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sharlene,

thank you for your review.

It is realy nice to hear that you and your parents enjoyed the stay here.

We are truly sorry that elevator wasn't working but now it works perfectly.

We hope, that if you will be in Prague next time, we will see you again in our hotel Royal Esprit.

Cesky Krumlov, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

Am I picky to expect from staff a little bit effort: get up when you talk to your guests (check- in/ check out...) this is their last/first impression of the place! Why receptionist cannot treat you as human being (exceppt one girl at the reception, she was nice)... smile? make sure all is ok and you dont need anything? look at you?
The breakfast was served in a weird room with no natural light but a very bored, yet very not helpful, waitress (maybe I wish to order a coffee???) hiding from her guests at the end of the room. There is no selection of egg dishes offered at all and I would expect that from a hotel this standard . . . when I asked if they offer eggs the answer was "no" I dont even know if the waitress understood me, maybe yes, maybe not but the answer is "no" even though the kitchen is running at this time. once again - no smile, no: "I am sorry we do not offer any omlettes but there are fried eggs on the hot plate"...

Room was ok, spacious, no view (1 st floor), bathroom ok too, a bit old but ok.

Location great!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Portland, Oregon
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Our second time to Praha and we stayed here. Just ok as the room a a bit old and carpet is iffy clean. People were nice and the breakfast buffet was good. Good location to walk to pretty much anywhere you want to go and not be too far away from the main activity.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to EA Hotel Royal Esprit? Share your experiences!