“Very good” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Yaku Japonske BBQ

Yaku Japonske BBQ
Petrske Namesti 1664/5, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Nove Mesto (New Town))
+420 725 555 305
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #203 of 4,271 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Japanese, Barbecue, Asian, Fusion
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Description: "Yaku焼く" means to grill in Japanese!! Common Japanese style of Yakiniku (焼き肉 or 焼肉), drawing influences from Korean dishes such as bulgogi and galbi, became widespread in Japan during the 20th century, most notably after the Second World War. Today, Yakiniku has became one of the popular dining style in Japan. The meat are specialized prepared sliced according to designated part of Beef/pork/Chicken, plus the charcoal heated grill to keep the juice within every BBQ meat! Our mega unit ventilation system has keep our customer enjoy food in smoke-free enviorment! Yaku is a modern Asian fusion atmosphere bar restaurant with traditional taste of Japan! Come and enjoy the Difference!
“Very good”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

No smoke even full of customers which is very important for BBQ restaurant. Various food and drinks with fair price

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
bangkok
“Too much hype of freshness...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

We were "welcome" by an overpowering monologue of how we should have made a reservation (confusing since there were two couples sat at the bar counter, whilst the main sitting part of the restaurant was completely empty....) as they prepare everything fresh and cut the meet fresh and have everything very fresh and and and - oh and they fire the coke fresh and that takes some time...... 40+ years' worth of restaurant eating experience rang all the bells in my mind - this is a bad sign. A truly good restaurant does not need such oversell. Which indeed it was.
Some of the meats (e.g. beef karubi) were OK, but the shrimps were so past the "tastes best till date", that I had to leave them ("well, we can't be as good as a restaurant on the coast" was the reply of the main waiter - at least he did not argue that all was great, but he did charge for it).
I can understand some of the glowing reviews of this place only in the context of it being an attractive novel way of enjoying a dinner and company in Prague - by those that have not experienced a really good yaki nikku. If you've been to a good one (which is by no means automatic even in Japan), then this will be a disappointment. Apart from the unacceptable serving of old sea food, eating at the bar is uncomfortable for eating and some of the meats were only so so. The staff tried hard, but it was a visible effort
The Japanese staff was in his robotic mode of explaining how to cook (which we did not need, but understand that newcomers will), but was not responsive to simple requests such as bowl of rice. The beer on tap was not my taste (very strong and sweetish) and no choice of standard beer. And, alas(!), they only had two small bottles of Asahi in the fridge - aaah, you will say I should have indeed booked and ask them to stock up for when a Czech beer drinker arrives.
Overall, since we know how enjoyable eating "Japanese" style barbeque (actually it comes from Korea) can be, we would have found the place a thoroughly miss-able restaurant, even if they did not serve out of date shrimps.
Considering the patchy performance and not a good location, I do not think this place can last if it does not pull its socks up fast.

• Visited December 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Prague, Czech Republic
“Meat never tasted so good*”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2013

Tired of all the bland pork, chicken or the ever boring intestines or tongue? Cringe no more as meat heaven is just around the corner (of Petrske namesti).

For exquisite cuts of delicious meat grilled on proper coal fire in front of you, this is the only place in Prague and apparently in Europe.

Be prepared to shell out some money on this one. Best enjoyed on pay day :) but totally worth it!

The whole experience felt pretty authentic: bar tables typical to Japanese restaurants, you see the chefs prepare the food in front of you. Even sake is on the menu, although a limited variety of one due to the need to get alcohol stamps for the other kinds.

Having the salad and kimchi is a must, I'd even recommend the rice.

*except maybe for the properly done beefsteaks you can get in Argentinean restaurants

• Visited November 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Budapest, Hungary
“A bit Japan on my tongue”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

This is the third time that I have been to Yaku and I have never reviewed any restaurant before. But now I eager feel to do because Yaku is one of the best restaurants I have ever been.

LOCATION
Firstly, it is located in the city center, next to the Palladium shopping mall, and many world-famous attractions for example Paris Street (Parizska ulice) and the Old Town Square (Staromestske namesti). People can easily find this place both for tourists and locals. Those people who want to come by car can comfortably park in front of Yaku.

FOOD AND ATMOSPHERE
To start we ordered Wakame Salada - Japanese Salad with Seaweeds, Korean Kimchi and French Gillardeau oysters as appetizer. The Oysters were super fresh and perfectly cutted. And then we had the chef recommendations which were Jou Buta Bara - Prime Pork Belly, Geta Karubi - Rib Finger, Momo Niku - Chicken Leg with mixed onions, Horumone - Pork large intestine and U.S.D.A. Prime Grade Rib Eye. My favorite was the Rib Eye because it was really juice and soft like it should be. But, the Pork large intestine was absolute worth to try it has an interesting taste and a bit spicy. We also grilled vegetables such as california pepper, corn, Japanese Shiitake mushroom and potatoes. Our side dish was Korean rice with black sesame seeds. Lastly we had the home-made Matcha ice-cream with redbeans. The atmosphere was really cool, it is like you are in Japan. When we were in Yaku it was a bit crowded so reservation should be made in advance to get a seat.

SERVICE AND STAFF
The staff was very friendly, firstly the warmly welcomed and patiently showed us how to grill. The Chef was professional and helpful, the U.S.D.A. Prime Rib Eye was freshly cutted in front of us. Yaku has a wide range of Japanese drinks and French / Italian wine selection and Czech beers as well. We tried four different wine and all of them were extremely tasty, especially for the Rib Eye and of course beer.

PRICE AND VALUE
For the best quality cuts I think it worth to pay. Nonetheless some people think it is overpriced because they do not know the retail prices. If you go west you would pay at least two times more than here in Prague.

RECOMMENDATION
All in all having a dinner in Yaku was a unique experience in my life like a bit of Japan on my tongue. If you are in Czech Republic you should definitely go and try this traditional Japanese Barbecue in Yaku. The only thing that I did not like is that there is no Yaku in Hungary yet.

• Visited November 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“THE BEST EVER!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I don't know if the peoole with bad comments wrote about the same place, because this place is the most amazing and delicious restaurant where I have been! The food is perfect and the porcions are corresponding, you are not in czech restaurant or Mc Donalds with a mega fatty portions, this is for gurmanas :))) And I highly recomend it!