“Put Everthing in Context....” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #95 of 274 Tours & Activities in Prague
More attraction details
Owner description: Context Prague walking tours are led by local scholars for a group of up to 6 people maximum. Our seminars cover the history of Prague from Charles IV through the Velvet Revolution.
Ithaca, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Put Everthing in Context....”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Prague is a beautiful and lively city, steeped in art and history. Unfortunately, much of that history has been tragic -- the German occupation, the destruction of its ancient Jewish community, the bleak Communist years that lasted from the immediate years after WWII until the Velvet Revolution in 1989. The tour we took really illustrated the effects of the Communist regime and Russian occupation on Prague. Our guide Lenka was superb. The small size (only 5 of us) gave so much time for interaction and questions. I recommend this tour for anyone curious about probing beneath the surface of this wonderful city.

Visited June 2014
Paul B, Manager at Context Prague Tours, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Ann,

Many thanks for your kind and thoughtful feedback. We are committed to uncovering the depths of a destination, and making connections between historical events so that a clear and compelling narrative emerges. I'm pleased to hear that Lenka's walk illuminated your stay, and look forward to welcoming you back to Context again soon.

Thanks again,

Natalie - Central Europe Program Manager

Toronto, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Context delivers again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

My sister and I thoroughly enjoyed the tour "Habsburgs & Jesuits, Conflict under the Bohemian Crown". Lenka was a very informative guide. She took us to some more familiar sites as well as some that we would not have seen on our own and supported her talk with some interesting photos of old Prague. The three hour tour provided us with a greater understanding of the history of Prague as well as the region. It was a great way to conclude our journey through Budapest, Vienna and Prague and a very pleasant way to spend a morning.

Visited May 2014
Paul B, Manager at Context Prague Tours, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Joanna,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your kind words. We're so pleased you enjoyed your time with us in Prague. Our walks aim to take you beyond the usual sites--and ideas--to understand the city in real depth and context, via the experience and knowledge of our local scholars and experts like Lenka.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Context soon!

Best regards,

Natalie
Geneva, Switzerland
“Charles IV and the Making of Prague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2014

My friends and I were very pleased with this Context Travel walking tour. The local Context coordinator was very helpful and kindly arranged a private walk for us, as we were not able to join one of the regularly scheduled tours. Our docent, Katerina, was both enthusiastic and knowledgeable, and we thoroughly enjoyed the 3 hour walk, from the castle across the Charles Bridge to the Old Town. I would highly recommend this tour to anyone visiting Prague. I have also joined Context Travel tours in other cities and have never been disappointed - these walks are a wonderful way to learn about any city's history, architecture and culture.

Visited April 2014
Paul B, Manager at Context Prague Tours, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear Martha,

Many thanks for taking the time to write and share your kind words. We're so pleased you enjoyed your experience with us, both before and during your trip to Prague. As you know from having taken walks with us in other cities, we a offer a unique opportunity to spend time with local scholars and experts like Katerina to understand the city in real depth. It's always a pleasure to connect with those who have experienced what we do first hand.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Context soon!

Best regards,

Natalie
Cheltenham, Pennsylvania
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Superb walking tour of Prague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

The group tour Art Nouveau and Modernism was superb ! Our docent, Vadim Erent, is highly intelligent, enthusiastic and so knowledgeable that as quickly as we moved throughout the city, I wished that we had had several more hours to learn from him. He gave so generously of his time and he offered such interesting insights. Context docents are well educated and so knowledgeable about the world in general , which affords the participants a deeper and richer understanding of the art, history and architecture that is being viewed. The small group nature of the walks enhances the personal experience .
Context Walking tours offer scholarly, but not stodgy, docents who freely share the secrets of their new home as they teach the local history, art, and architecture. My family and I have participated in various Context tours through out Europe, and we always feel that our trip would not have been complete without them. The administrative offices of Context are an invaluable asset even before you depart. I communicated frequently with the Central Europe Team and they were helpful, informative and always an email away.

Visited May 2013
Coppell
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Context Walk”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

My wife and I recently took a context walk in Prague. My son and I had taken the same walk a few months before. This is one of many context walks we have taken in many cities. As always the walk was fantastic. We spent three hours with a marvelous guide who was fabulously well versed in the subject and a really great communicator. The information really adds a level of understanding and appreciation of a wonderful city like Prague. Context walks are a staple of any vacation for us.

Visited November 2013

Been to Context Prague Tours? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Context Prague Tours, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.