“Needs some fine-tuning, but generally very good.” 4 of 5 stars

Mamaison Residence Belgicka Prague
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Belgicka 12, Prague 120 00, Czech Republic   |
Ranked #126 of 668 hotels in Prague
Montreal
“Needs some fine-tuning, but generally very good.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2009

First time in Prague. Location was very good, reminding me of a more quiet version of NYC's SoHo district. Just 2 easy blocks from the hustle & bustle of the nearest metro station, Mamaison is perched on a charming corner in a neighborhood riddled with trees & cobblestone streets, as well as quaint little restaurants and pubs. Women will love it!

A mini grocery store is also a few blocks away, and is open atleast til 11pm.
Many times, I walked to the main Square in the city, and it took me about 20 minutes.

The tram & metro system is smooth like butter and I used it practically every day. 100 CC buys you a day pass. Both forms of transport move quickly and efficiently. But make sure you have change when you go to buy the pass. I tried paying a day pass with a fresh 2000 CC bill, and I got scolded by the mean-spirited (almost witch-like) ticket attendant. She gave me a life lesson on how I should think ahead about such things, and that she is no bank. I replied simply telling her I was a tourist! LOL

OK, Mamaison is wonderful. Upon my arrival, the night receptionist gave me a quick tour of the lobby and basement. He was very nice.
I will hi-light Mamaison's shortcomings though. Keep in mind that I am a very critical individual...so take all of this with a grain of salt.

Staff was extremely humble, always smiling and nice. Keeping in mind that most everyday locals barely speak a lick of english, the staffers here were better than average. I did run into a few problems in my room, but the staffers didn't know how to respond, although they were concerned for my well-being & comfort.

1. in the last 24 hrs of my stay, the lights in half my apartment were non-functioning. It wasn't a power-failure, since my bedroom was fine. Staff didn't know what to do, except to wait until Monday (2 days later) for the "technician"; while I 'used' the bathroom in the pitch dark. They didn't offer me an immediate solution.

2. A night prior, there was a beeping sound in my room (2 beeps every 15 minutes). Staffers thought maybe it was a smoke detector's batteries, but problem wasn't solved. it eventually stopped beeping, and then a day later, my lights went out. Related? possibly. I would just charge this ordeal to my bad luck.

3. one morning (8am), hotel guests were awoken by a fire alarm. And although there was no fire, it didn't stop for an hour. I almost went insane.
...

The commonality in these stories is that things can happen, and that's fine. But every business should have proper contingency plans whenever that odd thing occurs. They should have emergency staffers available rather than "they'll be here on Monday".
I'm afraid Mamaison means well, but they need to acquire a bit more experience in the game. I would stay there again though, in a heartbeat.

My room (business) was very spacious, and looked great. The kitchen was fully stocked (microwave, fridge, freezer, toaster, coffee pot, dishwasher, stovetop, plates, cups, teacups, utensils, but no oven (and of course with my bad luck, I had picked up 2 pizzas from the grocery to pop in the oven, and sure enough I hadn't realized that one missing component..............LOL

Although TV is no concern for me, there were only 3 or 4 channels.

Housekeeping is done once a week per their website, but one of the receptionists gave me the impression that if I needed it, all I had to do was call them. I didn't inquire more. Perhaps they would have charged me for the extra house-keeping, or not? Who knows?
I was alone, so I managed easily. Maybe for more than one person?...........

Objectively, how this hotel could be better (in no particular order):
- since housekeeping is once a week, they should provide more towels (instead of 2 sets, perhaps up the ante to 3 sets), or even do housekeeping twice a week.
- make telephone usage FREE. I had to pay 500 CC for my in-room telephone bill (for local calls made and received). I know most hotels charge for this type of service, but my opinion.
- make their tiny breakfast included in the room price (their breakfast is simply croissants, juices, fruits and such..for a whopping 10 EURO!). Atleast if it was a full continental, it would be worth the 10 Euro. My 2 cents...
- they have a dishwasher in the room, but you must buy the dishwasher tablets downstairs for a minute fee. This is ridiculous to me, as I feel something so small should be a given to the customer.

BONUS:
3 washing machines and 2 dryers in the basement for free usage. They do provide detergent and such for a small fee. I brought my own powder. Bring yours or pay. The basement also has other amenities which I did not use, but looked very inviting: sauna, fitness center, business center/meeting room, billiard room.

The decor is top notch, very sexy, lush, inviting.

They have a small collection of DVD's (in bad shape) that you can borrow to watch in your room.

I would still recommend this place to others, and I would stay there again!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo

213 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2009

Staff goes out of their way to help. And fantastic neighbourhood. Local feel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Europe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2009

We had a family suite for four which was very clean and comfortable. There was a master bedroom with several wardrobe cabinets, My daughters shared a sofa bed in the living room which they said was very comfortable. We also had a small kitchen area with a sink, refrigerator, stove, and a few dishes. So if you wanted to shop and cook your own meals, it would be easy to do.

The hotel is within easy walking distance to the Metro station and to several restaurants. The staff spoke good English and all the personnel with whom we interacted were very helpful.

We drove our car and had a reserved parking place around the corner from the hotel in a gated parking garage. You get a key that allows you to enter whenever you want. The cost for parking was 20 Euro a day, so you may want to consider that before booking. There are other places that offer free parking, but we felt our car was very safe at this garage.

I gave the hotel a 4 for service because towels are not changed out daily and things like facial tissues and shower soap were not well stocked. I would definitely book here again though. The rooms were much nicer and larger than those at many other European hotels.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

This hotel is superb, the staff can't do enough to help from check in right through to check out; the rooms are well furnished and equipped down to the last detail, even the Mamaison magazine which comes in the room is high quality.

You can be pretty sure you picked a good hotel when you walk through the secure front door to be greeted with a slick waterfall which is integrated into the steps leading to reception.

II stayed in a 1 bedroom business apartment. This is the upgrade from a standard apartment, although I've seen some pictures of these inside the hotel, they looked quite spacious. Our room was very big. It had a lounge/dining/kitchen area with TV, radio, CD, DVD player etc, kitchen and table; then the bedroom (with ensuite) was separate. There was also a separate WC, with there being no toilet in the en suite.

If you had children or prefer stay in and cook for yourself, Residence Belgika would be suited to you as well. It'd be easy to stay here for a length of time, it has ample amenities. A cooker, a dishwasher, kettle, toaster, bottle opener, plenty of plates, glasses and cutlery.

Located a two minute walk from our favourite area in Prague Náměstí Míru this hotel is situated ideally in a good location as well as having first rate rooms.
In Náměstí Míru square I would recommend Grosetto Pizzeria for a nice Italian meal with varied choice and great value food and drink. Nearby across the churchyard, Italian food quality is as good at Concordia. Cheers is good for a bar snack in a modern bar, and Namesti Miru Metro station in the middle of the church yard. A few minutes away from the churchyard, Popo Cafe Petl is the most welcoming for drinks.

I wouldn't stay anywhere else East of the Vltava, I'd even try and stay here if I was staying further afield in Prague.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2009

My wife and I loved this place. The apartments were huge - lots of room to spread out and relax. Free laundry facilities in the basement - free WI-FI in the rooms and a kitchen all made for a perfect stay. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location is away from the center of town which we liked a lot. There were several very good restaurants nearby. The underground was a 5 minute walk and from there you have access to everywhere. Loved it!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Helsingborg
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

We were in total 12 people that stayed in the hotel. Everyone was more than pleased. Opening the door to the spacious apartments that all were very well equiped with everything that you can need. Very nice bathrooms and comfortable beds.The breakfast was great and what a wonderful scent in the morning. The hotel staff was so friendly and offered all the help that we needed, everything from booking taxis to help my old grandmother. Thank you so much for making our wedding a perfect day!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
Prague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2009

The day I walked in and got to the reception of MaMaison Residence Belgicka I thought I got the wrong address.
I liked it so much I took pictures of the place. The apartment was huge, clean, and very well equipped.
The bed was perfect, high quality linen and mattress, and I am extremely picky with mattresses.
Use of the Gym and sauna was free of charge as was the internet.
Don't really know what else to say other than it was the best place I've ever stayed in Prague if not the whole of Europe.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business

Been to Mamaison Residence Belgicka Prague? Share your experiences!