“A wonderful time in Czech Republic” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Petr
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Drtinova 17, Prague 150 00 , Czech Republic (Praha 5)   |
Ranked #169 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Seattle, Washington, United States
“A wonderful time in Czech Republic”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

My mother and I had a wonderful time in the Czech Republic with the Road Scholar Program. Tomasz the proprieter and all of the staff were wonderfully hospitable and welcoming. I slept very well in the comfortable bed and the towels were thick and soft. I really enjoyed the little tea set and hot pot and mini-fridge that was blissfully empty. One night my mother and I were not up to joining the group for dinner so we got snacks from the store and drank tea with the tea set and enjoyed our own company.
I also appreciated the fact that when I put the "do not disturb" sign on the door the housekeeping staff left my room alone. This is important to me because I believe that cleaning my room daily is a waste of time and energy. I would definitely recommend Hotel Petr to anyone wanting a good place to stay in Prague.

Room Tip: The rooms on my side of the hallway did not seem to have a very good wi-fi signal. I carried my mac...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Tulsa
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

We've travelled Europe enough to know the hotels are unique and different than our cookie cutter American hotels. We find them fun and quirky usually however this one was one of our least favorites throughout Europe. While the location was great located in a quiet neighborhood and a 5-minute walk to the city train and another 5 mintes to great restaurants, this hotel didn't score high on two of my five measurables: comfort and charm (cleanliness, cost, and location are the other three and this hotel met these just fine).

When it came to comfort, the room was large. We had two twin beds pushed together for my husband and I, another twin bed against an adjacent wall and our second son on a cot at the end of our bed. This wasn't what we called a room with four beds - a cot doesn't count as a bed in my opinon. The beds were not the most comfortable and were more like camp or dorm room mattresses. My hips would be a little sore from laying on my side on the thin mattress. There was only a base sheet wrapped around the mattress and a small duvet folded on top to cover ourselves with - no top sheet, no blanket - and the duvet was small so if you wrapped it around you in the fetal position or didn't mind having either your upper body exposed, it worked fine but if you are like me and like a blanket that covers all of you while you are stretched out on your back, you'll not like this blanket situation. The bath was clean but the shower was small. When you enter, don't drop the soap or you'll have to step out to retrieve it. I did like the huge built in bureau outside the bathroom in the foyer of the room to store and hang clothes.Every room opens onto the stairs so there really is no escaping to a room at the end of the hallway to avoid the noise of people coming and going so be prepared and bring ear plugs.

On the charm factor, the room overlooked typical neighborhood buildings with laundry hanging from the window. Loved it but then again, we had no view of the city whatsoever and we were on display to at least 6 households at all times if the light blocking curtains were not drawn. The
carpet was a cousin to Velcro. Crispy to the touch and when I dropped my sweather, it actulally stuck to the carpet for a nanosecond. Paint was light lime and there was one small 11x14" flower photograph on the long 8 foot by 15 foot wall. This room needed an overhauling in charm. Change the color, get some art on the boring, blank walls, change the flooring, get some beds and not wooden bases to sleep in and this room would quickly becoming charming and a great find in the Prague area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

I stayed in Petr for 6 nights. It's a nice hotel in a very good and quiet neighbourhood. It took for me only 15 minutes walk to get to the Old town and a little bit more to the Prague Castle. Staffs were really nice and helpful, and my room was good size and very clean.

The breakfast buffet was good (not the best) and unfortunately the breakfast room was a little bit crowed in morning with people who came with tour companies.

My only complain was that I didn't find any good beer hall near hotel, and I couldn't enjoy one last beer before going to bed!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

This is an amazing hotel for the price. Rooms were clean and quiet. The location is in a quiet neighborhood - close to a park, shopping and tram and subway stops. What really makes this a special hotel is the quality of the staff. They were professional, friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Breakfast was a typical European style buffet. There were pastries / cookies for an afternoon snack. If we are back in Prague we will definitely return.

Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Small hotel very close to tram and subway stops. One of the best things we found about the hotel was that they sell transportation passes, which was very convenient. The park near the hotel was beautiful. The breakfast was enough to hold you though the quality of the food was somewhat sketchy. The best thing about breakfast was the brew it yourself maching offering everything from espresso to hot chocolate. The bathroom was very dated and the sink backed up on the last day of our trip. Pack your own toilettries and washcloth as pump soap is all you will get here. A large person would definately not fit in the shower. Biggest downside - there is a weird smell in the hallways.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelPetr, Owner at Hotel Petr, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you for your reviewing our hotel. You are right the bathrooms are relatively small and simple, but not in all rooms. 12 rooms of our 40 have bigger bathrooms than that one in your room, 2 have a bathtub. All our bathrooms have been completely reconstructed in 2009 -2010. We are a 3 stars hotel and from the toilettries we offer bath gel/ shampoo and hairdryer. The weird smell you mention came unfortunately from the room of one fo our guests who stored his own food in the room. Sorry for this inconvenience.
Tomas Brychta
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

Hotel Petr is a small hotel located in a quiet neighborhood in Smichov. It's slightly away from touristy areas, but is conveniently close to public transportation - both tram and subway at Andel. All rooms are non-smoking and were equipped with the basic amenities - flat screen TV (but no English channels), small fridge, security box (but you have to pay to use), free WIFI and computer in lounge. The bathroom has a tiny shower with only liquid soap/shampoo, and the hair dryer looks like a vacuum cleaner, but works pretty well. Beds were very comfortable. One major drawback about the room was mold in the shower. Breakfast was good with cereals, yogurt, deli meats, cheese, bread, tomatoes, and scrambled/hard boiled eggs, juices, and a coffee maker. One caveat was that the hot foods were always a little lukewarm since they sit out for some time before being replenished. Overall, it's a good hotel for the price, but could use some improvement.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

This was our first visit to Prague and having read many reviews we were looking for a quietish hotel with good transport links. Hotel Petr is on a quite street very close to the Petrin Park - probably about a 10 minute walk to the fenicular. There are trams within a 5 minute walk to all destinations in Prague as well as Andel metro station (by a very nice shopping centre if that is your thing). The hotel itself is clean and quiet, the rooms themselves are quite small but comfortable and the use of the fridge was very much appreciated - we kept a few local beers on standby from Tesco! On the whole I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is happy to be slightly out of the main tourist area. We had some problems with our air conditioning but as it was a very quiet street we had the windows open and were not disturbed. The only thing I would say about the area is that there are quite a few bars and pubs that seemed to have closed down - we went to a couple that were recommended to us by the hotel but sadly they were closed. Having said that there are still many places to eat and drink within 5 minutes walk.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Petr? Share your experiences!