“Not your average hostel!” 5 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   Delnicka 24, Prague 170 00, Czech Republic (Praha 7)   |
Ranked #25 of 552 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, England
“Not your average hostel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

Stayed here with a friend last week for three nights. We arrived very late (our flight landed at midnight), but Nico who greeted us at reception was full of beans and very helpful. There had been a slight mix-up with our booking and we were placed in a 10-bed dorm, instead of the 6-bed we'd asked for, but the staff were very apologetic and we didn't mind since it was still an all-girl room and turned out to be about half the price! We were in the Angel room, which was spacious and clean with comfy bunks and big lockers under the bed (take your own padlock) to store our stuff securely. The only slight downside was the lack of plug sockets in the room - try to bag a bed that's next to one to avoid having to crawl over other peoples' sleeping bodies to get your phone back! In our experience the other girls in the dorm were very considerate when coming in late etc, but it's always a good idea to take an eye mask and ear plugs with you to make sure you get a good night's sleep :)

Once we'd dropped off our bags we were in need of a drink, and once again Nico came to our rescue by giving us a map and marking all of the nearby clubs, bars and shops. The hostel is in a fairly quiet area in the north east of Prague, but is only a 10 minute tram ride away from the centre of town. Public transport is very cheap, and the hostel have discounted 24-hour tickets at reception.

Breakfast isn't included in the room price, but costs about £4 per day for an all you can eat buffet, with a wide selection including bread, cheese, ham, muesli, cereals, yogurt, fruit, etc. You can also cook your own pancakes or eggs, which is included in the price. It's great value if you're hungry, but if you're just after a snack then there's a supermarket at the end of the street (towards the tram line) which has croissants, pastries, etc.

There is a free walking tour of the city run by the hostel each morning - one of the guides picks you up at about 10.30am and takes you into the city on the tram. The tour lasted about three hours and was really interesting, we definitely got more out of it than we would if we'd been stumbling about with our noses stuck in the guide book.

The pub at the hostel is nice and cosy, and there's space to sit outside in the garden until 10pm. We didn't actually buy drinks at the bar, so I can't comment on the value, but it's perfectly ok to bring your own drinks/food along with you. The kitchen is pretty spacious and very useful if you don't fancy eating out.

Overall we had a brilliant stay, and in fact it ruined the hostel we went on to stay in in Amsterdam, which was perfectly fine, but just not as good as Sir Toby's! Would definitely stay here again if I return to Prague.

As an aside, if you're arriving in Prague at night it's definitely worth booking a transfer bus/cab, since public transport from the airport is a bit complicated to say the least! We used the shuttle recommended on the hostel's website, they were very professional and it cost about £20 for two people.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Such a lovely hostel, in a very quiet area. Perhaps a little too far from the town centre but I really loved the walk every morning. There is a tram that leaves from the front of the hostel, but I preferred the walk over the bridges and in the snow. The kitchen was great, and the restaurant downstairs served really nice food and it was a great place to hang out and play some boardgames by candlelight and drink some czech beer.

I was really happy with this place, and would absolutely come back (I would even prefer it to a hotel). I came came here after spening 1 night in Hostel Elf which was like staying in Hell!!!

So glad I woke up the next morning and booked Sir Tobys. It was worth the extra 2 euros a night to sleep in luxury!

My only complaint was I had to catch an early bus in the morning, and because it was prior to 6am they wouldnt let me in the kitchen to have breakfast. So I asked if I could just grab my food out of the fridge and the guy at the counter kept saying "no" until I got angry and then he relented and let me grab my food and go.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012

Sir Toby's was the first place I stayed on a year long adventure around the world. Although I am older than your average hostel dorm room guest (36), I had a blast and met really amazing people with whom I am still keeping in touch. I was here 5 nights and it spoiled my hostel experience as I did not find anything else like it on my travels. The bar downstairs is a great meeting and gaming venue. I got to cook my own meals in the kitchen, although there are great restaurants near by. The staff are great and I even hung out with the manager a few times and he was really fun. My only complaint would be that the bathrooms start to smell incredibly moldy after being in use all day and some ventilation would be really helpful. But I would love to stay here again. I shared a female dorm, but there are private rooms available too. And although it is a bit far from the old town square, the public transport was super easy to use. And I can't remember the name, but there is a restaurant right up the street with the most amazing pizza in the world...i went twice in one day. And the Kross Club is in walking distance if you want to get a glimpse of a really interesting Prague nightlife scene.

Room Tip: female dorm room was perfectly fine. really comfy beds and linens. and lots of under bed locking sto...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Issaquah, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

Stayed here a couple of years ago. Great location plenty of transport options and very helpful staff.

The building Reno not the newest, but clean functional and a number of established eateries near by. Check out the old pizza restaurant. Very cool, cold war pizza joint. Best pizza I've ever had. Lucky Luciano. Great place

Free wifi throughout? Go there stay there you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2012 via mobile

I have travelled across Europe three times and have never been as impressed as I was with Sir Toby's. The staff are attentive and friendly, the included services are unparalleled and I was very sorry to leave. I stayed in a private room and wish that all my regular hotels could have been this terrific. I would recommend this hostel to anyone, anywhere.

• Stayed July 2012
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2012

I would really recommend a stay at Sir tobys in Prague. The staff are very helpful, the rooms are nice, the backgarden is cosy and the bar is nice. The location was very good, only a minute to walk to the tram. We were planning to stay for 2 nights but ended up extending our stay, cause we liked the hostel and Prague very much :-) There was one man in the reception that was a bit rude to us one time, but other than that the service was great!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Wonderful place. Cleaner than most hostels I have ever been to. Spacious rooms, comfortable beds, fast internet access. They have a wonderful bar and a well equipped kitchen. Location may not be entirely central but very convenient via trams (10 mins). Good facilities, free barbecue, clean toilets, very friendly and helpful staff. It was disappointing to be greeted by one very rude middle-aged man, who was not just unhelpful but fairly ill-mannered. But the rest of the staff more than makes up for his lack of courtesy. Quite a fancy hostel, I really enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sir Toby's Hostel? Share your experiences!