“AVOID AVOID AVOID AT ALL COSTS” 1 of 5 stars

Jednota
Opletalova 38 | Nove Mesto, Prague, Czech Republic (Nove Mesto (New Town))   |
Ranked #327 of 550 Specialty Lodging in Prague
Adelaide, Australia
“AVOID AVOID AVOID AT ALL COSTS”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Arrived at this hostel (2 adults 1 child) for a 3 bedroom ensuit private. Check in was barely understandable and looked like a bank and had a currency exchange. Noticed that everything was in Czech language with nothing in English. Room was filthy with dirty curtains, dirt around pipes, bathroom and toilet. Paint peeling off the walls and ceiling. graffiti everywhere. no shower, only a hose (if thats what it is) in the bath. no plugs in the bathroom. lock in room made my grandson very uncomfortable. By what we've seen young people living here for a long period told us that they had to supply their own crockery and cutlery aswell as kettle and pots and pans. We were not informed of this by reception as we checked in. Wifi is only available at reception, which is the most uncomfortable place you could find. WOULD NOT ADVISE ANYONE TO STAY HERE UNLESS MAJOR IMPROVEMENTS TO HOSTEL JEDNOTA IN PRAGUE.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2012 via mobile

Booked this place thinking it looked like an economical option for a stay with my daughter. Looked at the room first and fled. It was dirty, paint peeling off the walls, shared communal bathrooms, no curtains on windows, less than savory clientele. Only saving grace was tht the owner agreed not to charge any cancellation fee

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

For two nights I was charged 1800 ks (about £80). Even if it was £8 for two nights I wouldn't return. It's as nasty a place as I've ever experienced. It has the look and feel of a sanatorium.

First of all the smell; it smelled like an old age pensioners home, cleaning is obviously not a priority. This carries on into your room - filthy. It's like a hostel from a 3rd world country. The beds seem to have been made from wood left over from broken pallets and the mattress was basically a 2 inch piece of foam that offered no support. It was marginally better than sleeping on the floor. On the first night a towel was not provided, on the second night a dish towel (I'm not joking) was provided to dry myself after a shower. The showers themselves offered no privacy, it was like being back at school after a PE lesson. The staff were either blase or actively obnoxious and people ran through the corridors at night drunk as hell while the staff looked on.

AVOID!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Negril, Jamaica
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010

We had a room just below street level and stayed there for 3 days. We got more and more bites but did not suspect anything. Only when we got home from our tour we noticed that we had fleas on us. It was difficult to detain them and get all our clothes washed. We put non-washable items into the freezer.

They did not handle the case well. An E-Mail notifying them of the case remained unanswered.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

This place was the weirdest place I have ever stayed. My friend and I wandered in here one day after leaving our previous hostel. We asked for a room with private en-suite which we got. The bizarre thing was, we were the only people on our floor.... It was as if something had happened there. There was no curtain in our room and the toilet smelt bad. BUT we slept ok and it was a funny experience!
There was no noise which meant we were able to sleep well and it was also good no one else was on our floor because it never mattered when we went back to our hostel after a big night.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with friends
Alberta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

This is ultimately a very cheap place to stay. The rooms were clean enough, though the bathrooms were not. The security seemed to be relatively good , though I wouldn't trust all of the other travelers (I had some pretty awkward encounters). I loved the breakfast and the staff! While they could hardly speak English (and I tried desperately to speak Czech), they would try their best to communicate with me and were always very friendly. I have such fond memories of Prague that I'm sure I don't remember some of the more negative aspects of this hostel.
You should be aware that it has a prison feel to it, and this may explain why: I was informed by my Czech professor that this hostel was, actually, a prison at one point during WWII, used by the Nazis during their occupation of Prague. Actually, if you venture around the building, some of the rooms on the lower floors still have prison doors. I'm not sure if this is true but, after staying there, I would believe it!

• Stayed May 2007
Vienna
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2009

my girlfriend and me spent 4 nights in this hostel and it was absolutely fine.From the ratings on this site we were expecting something much more dirty and ugly.. but it is NOT that way at all.

Price:
We paid about 900 kronas per night for a double room which is a fair price for the location and the service.

Style:
i mean sure most of the hostel is making you feel like you would be back in the old UDSSR.. but yeah.. that's character, isn't it?

Bathroom and Shower:
The bathroom and shower was really quite clean and the water was warm.. which was one of the great things.also the heating in the room was extremely warm what helped us a lot to "survive" in these cold days in praha ;).

Room:
The room was small and a bit smelly but the bed linen was clean and we were quite satisfied with it :)..especially notable was the heating (as already mentioned) because it was able to make a great warm place place out of it, and in the night we were feeling like in mother's womb :D

24-hours-reception:
The clerks at the 24-hours-office were all very friendly and having a 24-hours office is really great when you come home totally drunk and some friendly smiling clerk opens up the door to the hostel and wishes a good night :D

Location:
The location is simply perfect. It is located right next to the praha main station (hlavni nadrazi) and in a 10 minutes walk you are in the middle of old center of prague. the whole stay we didnt have to use public transport one time.

Conclusion:
We had a great stay in the Hostel Jednota and the next time it is definately the hostel of our choice again!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Jednota? Share your experiences!