“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Astoria

You added Astoria to your Saves list
Astoria
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Rybna 680/10, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))   |
Special Offer
Addittional 5% off
Ranked #151 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Prestonpans
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

I stayed here with 7 other friends for a long weekend.
We had 4 rooms and each one was clean, a good size, had a free safe, minibar, plenty of wardrobe and cupboard space, lots of hot water, towels changed everyday.
There is free internet access in the lobby and free wi-fi as well.

We were booked in for bed and breakfast.
The breakfast was very similar each morning, a variety of eggs, bacon, sausages, rolls, bread, pancakes, cakes, jams, youghurts, pate, cold meats, cheese.
The coffee was lovely with either hot or cold milk, you could help yourself to a pot to take to your table.
The fruit juice was real, not the powdered mix you often get and there was ice to have with it.

All the hotel staff spoke very good english and very helpful and chatty.
When we arrived we were given maps of Prague, a tour guide, hotel details etc.
We had booked a transfer to and from the airport via the hotel and again this was an excellent service with lovely clean new cars and drivers who were polite and helpful.

The hotel is in a brilliant location, 10 minutes walk to the river, various attractions and squares, tour buses, shopping mall, supermarket and places to eat.
We didn't find it too expensive to eat, although it can be £17+ for a bottle of wine.
There are lots of local outside cafes etc, also stalls selling pancakes, pork sausages, pork and dumplings, potatoes with bacon and cabbage, too many lovely things to mention!!

There is a local corner shop selling alcohol and food etc.
The bottles of beer or cider in there were about £1.60 and crisps etc about £1 so fine for snacks or for the room.

We all had a brilliant time and would love to visit Prague again.
Everyone in the group will go back to The Astoria and recommend it to family and friends.

Room Tip: The higher the rooms the better view you will have of this beautiful city.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (94)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

Well we had a nice welcome at e reception n two helpful bell boy- one who helped us w e luggage n one who help us find information abt Sunday church service... Tts is pretty much it. The air con broke down e first night, making so much noise tts impossible to slp. Tt reception told us she will send a repair man e next day, but it was not done. Then we hv to endure another night ... Eventually e repair man came n tts was after another time they forgt abt us. It was very frustrating. They could not fix it, n e hotel personnel didn't even hv e courtesy to apologist... N only responded cOldly "so you Wana change room" n wen I return e previously room key to her (out of responsibility not bcoz she asked) she said "what do u want?!" n took e keys w/o even saying a thank you.

Fine... Maybe I m petty. Wat was even worst was e hotel cleaner came to our room in the morn - WITHOUT Knocking!!! What if I m naked in my room..??

The lift broke down for two days out of our 4 days stay. N e kitchen took 50mins to send us our food. Web I called to
Ask wat happened, e reception again responded rudely..

The restaurant area is shared w e lobby, is really too small during breakfast. We had trouble finding seats, n had to squeeze in n out of the table.

My conclusion is.. I will never return to this hotel n of coz not recc to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

I was expecting a hotel that was not the best but I was so amazed by the room size and service. The room was located on the 7th floor and was huge. It also had a balcony with views to the castle. The room was sound proof and very comfortable. The hotel staff were excellent as was the breakfast. The hotel is about 2 minute walk to the Old Town Square and many places to see and places to eat.

The only downside was the air con not working properly which meant leaving the balcony doors open to cool the room down.

I fully recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Prague.

Room Tip: If you have been promised free wifi get it in writing before you go as some hotels change their serv...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Astoriahotelprague, General Manager at Astoria, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your detailed evaluation regarding your visit at the Astoria Hotel.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting guests needs and expectations. It was particularly pleasing to see that your impression of our staff and service was good and that you felt well taken care of during your stay.

I am really happy to hear that all of your group will recommend Astoria hotel to your friends.

Yours sincerely

New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

We stayed at the Astoria Hotel during our 3 night visit to Prague and was very pleased with our selection. Booked ahead on their website and got a very reasonable rate. Upgraded to a superior room upon check in for a reasonable upcharge and was very pleased with the room (larger, higher floor, wifi rather than plug in internet). Rate also included a decent buffet breakfast.

The hotel location is ideal for sightseeing in Prague - near major old town sights but on a quieter side street. Hotel was clean - staff were helpful - arranged for a tour & a taxi to the airport efficiently.

Only issues is their is construction going on across the street but being on a higher floor, the noise was at a minimum and it only seemed to take place during daytime hours.

I would highly recommend this hotel for a visit to Prague.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a superior room - worth the upcharge.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Bologna, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

A warm welcome, professional service and rooms with a view of Prague unforgettable. We stayed in this hotel one night only but I really hope to return soon. Prague is a really nice town and from this hotel you can move quickly in the city center.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Astoriahotelprague, General Manager at Astoria, responded to this review, September 9, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments. It is with great pleasure I read your review knowing that we have lived up to your expectations. I definitely believe that the view from our 8th floor was unforgettable for you. I have been living in Prague since I was born however I am dazzled by the view each time when I come up to here.

We really look welcoming you back to our hotel.

Kind regards

North Yorks
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012 via mobile

Excellent hotel & relatively cheap for what you get. Good sized rooms, all immaculate, very helpful staff & super buffet breakfast with something for everyone.
I'll happily return the next time I visit Prague.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a response after your visit at the Astoria Hotel.

I was delighted to read that you have had a positive visit to our property and that our services met your expectations.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Kind regards
Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

I decided to stay here based on tripadvisor ratings instead of sticking to US Hotel chains as I can normally expect certain level of service and quality of the facility. Overall it's a fairly decent hotel with reasonable price but my room was broken into and various items were stolen.

Folks, be careful when you get a room on the 1st floor / 100 level. Do not ever leave the windows open even though they are open when you initially check in the room. If they are open, make sure nobody is in the room. This hotel lacks adequate security measures. Big hotel chains ensure that no one can get in the room from outside and post clear warnings around the window.

Yes, perhaps, I should've trusted my instincts and made sure the windows were closed before we went out, but I thought it may be ok as it was open when we got in the room.

Good
-I heard Hotel staff did chase the thieves (someone saw the thieves breaking into the room and called the hotel) and recovered my suitcase minus all medications.
-They changed our room immediately.

Bad
-My backpack and its contents were gone forever, including my Kindle fire. Total damage around 400USD.
-They said initially their insurance can cover the cost of the loss but no communication took place whatsoever afterwards.
-At the time of check out, the front desk insisted I need to pay for the Pepsi that the thief stole from the frig. I was upset and said no. She backed off.

Good deal, but after this experience I'll stick to my US hotel chains when I'm in overseas.

Room Tip: Higher floors where no thieves can break in
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,
Please accept my sincere apology for the inconvenience caused by robbing your room. There is a room safe in each room where you can leave your valuables during your stay without no worries. Prague is a quite safe city but as in any big city of the world it is necessary to be careful of thieves. Our rooms on the 1st floor are high enough except of 2 rooms begining with 100 that are located on mezzanine where you were accommodated.
I am really very sorry for the bad experience.
Yours sincerely
Martina Simunkova

Been to Astoria? Share your experiences!