“Christmas Break” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #42 of 666 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Christmas Break”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This was our first holiday in four years and we chose to go to Prague for a short break for Christmas. The Art Deco Imperial seemed like a great hotel, good reviews, and not far from the city centre or the sights. I had arranged something special for my partner at the hotel which they organised perfectly (David the Concierge sorted it out -Thanks!) The hotel organised collection and return journey to and from airport to hotel, the prices were very reasonable! The hotel lives up to its name with its beautiful art deco decor, the food at breakfast and dinner was fantastic and the room was very good. To get to most of the main tourist sights in Prague is no more than a 10-15 min walk. Prague is a beautiful city and more accentuated at Christmas with the markets and the lights.

Thank you to all the staff at The Art Deco Imperial Hotel

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BlankaAtImperial, Director of Sales at Art Deco Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest I am very glad we made your recent city break a memorable one! We are hoping to have you back one day! Happy New Year!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I spent three nights at this hotel over new year. As with all hotels in Prague a premium was charged to stay over new year, so I guess this review is in the context of paying 200 euro per night for a room . My initial impressions were disappointment. My room on the sixth floor was small and not luxurious - peeling wallpaper, a poor mattress and cheap toiletries attached to the wall - very poor for a 'luxury' hotel. The worst thing about the room was the proximity to the lift which kept me awake all night. When I complained the next morning at reception they allocated me a superior room on the third floor which was much better- a nice room, high ceilings and very quiet. However the bed was still poor quality, as was the bedding and toiletries. there was also no turn durn service or free wifi in the room.
breakfast each morning was served in the impressive surroundings of the imperial cafe. This was the biggest asset of the hotel. Breakfast was a comprehensive and good quality buffet, but again for a five star hotel it was disappointing that there were no a la carte breakfast menu. We ate in the hotel on both our first night and on news years eve. the food quality and service was good, especially on New Year's Eve when the service we received was fantastic. However, the food, as appears with a lot of Czech food was well cooked rather than anything to get excited about. DAVid the concierge was very helpful and gave good dinner recommendations. Was disappointed when ordering a taxi from reception that they assumed I wanted the hotel car rather than a regular taxi at half the price, and I got a frosty reception when correcting them. On checking out again the reception was some what cold, not even inquiring if everything was ok with our stay.
Over all this is a nice hotel if you get the right room, however it could be so much better with a little more attention to detail and if all of the staff were committed to providing five star service.

Room Tip: Rooms on the sixth floor very small
codicote, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

For our 25th anniversary celebration we chose Prague due to its history & good reviews as a pre Christmas location for a weekend break. We were not disappointed; Prague old town is full of character & a great place to visit despite the freezing temperatures we experienced during our break.

We chose the Art Deco Imperial Hotel again due to good reviews & its location & this all proved accurate. We arrived on a clear cold Friday afternoon, using the Airport Express bus, a five minute walk from the station bus stop to hotel. As it was our anniversary we were checked in to a nice room, 5th floor, with champagne & strawberries waiting for us. The room/bathroom were suitably sized, not large, but more than okay for the long weekend stay. The bed was large & comfy, the decor very tasteful & therefore this provided a nice warm base before braving the elements outside.

The breakfast was superb, hot or cold dishes, all served in a beautiful restaurant at the front of the hotel. Other amenities included a gym & spa, but more importantly a bar with free wifi.

Location wise, the hotel was located initially near the main shopping mall, but also only a short walk to the the Old town square & the numerous excellent restaurants & bars Prague has to offer. Wencelas Square, Charles Bridge & Prague castle are all a bit further but still in easy reach & well worth visiting.

Our only minor gripe was we didn't have free wifi in our room but this wasn't a major issue as wifi was available in the hotel bar.

Therefore to sum up, we had a superb pre Christmas break in Prague, chose an excellent hotel for location & quality. I'm sure there are cheaper hotels in the area, possibly better value, but for that special weekend when you want a bit extra the Art Deco Imperial ticks all the boxes

Room Tip: If you are celebrating a special event, birthday or anniversary, tell the hotel
London, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I suppose the reason why Tripadvisor is so useful is that you can get such a wide perspective from it. However sometimes this means that I genuinely do not recognise some of the places I've just visited from the reviews here.

I liked this particular hotel - and although in my early 40s I'm not quite ready to jump into my box yet, I travel a fair bit and stay in a wide range of hotels. This is not a "design" hotel - it's style is not slavishly contemporary, nor does it attempt to market itself as an "urban resort", but it is very very comfortable, spotlessly clean and I experienced excellent service. I would have thought that this was apparent from the hotel's website. I stayed in a executive room and the wifi was free and unlimited - and faultless.

The breakfast was very good, and the restaurant's evening incarnation is even better, there is a very different feel (and staff) in the evening and the food and service again was very good. The Cafe Imperial is rated currently at around 28 out of 1200 in Prague.

I was happy with the location which is no more than an interesting 10 minutes from the Old Town Square - the Old Town proper is really tourist central and a bit too much to be frank. The hotel is no more than 2 minutes from the metro. We were on the side of the building and could hear the tram although we were not put out by this.

We used the car service to and from the airport - again this was excellent.

The only gripe I would have (and this really is pedantic) is that the hotel is not art deco. It is art nouveau!

Room Tip: You would definitely hear the tram at the front.
Sarvar
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here 5 nights in December 2012 and the hotel is really great. We were upgraded to an Executive room which was large and well equiped.

The staff was friendly and very good informed about what to do in the town.

I would definatelly recommend this hotel to everyone who would likes style and comfort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

First things first: my poor review of this hotel is based on it being a 5 star and us paying a premium to stay there. If it were a 3 star Ibis hotel, then it would have gotten a much better review but as it's not, then I think it was fairly poor service for what you pay. Let me explain .

After reading some of the other bad reviews I think it is clear who their target market is: Middle-aged/ older couples who like to stay in fancy hotels, pay a premium to use their chauffeur services, eat repeatedly in the boring but exquisitely beautiful hotel restaurant (or the first expensive place the concierge suggests) and generally let the hotel dictate your holiday for you. Nothing wrong, just not how the slightly younger generations travel these days.

We're a couple in our early 30s who do a lot of travelling and like to 'control' our holidays; we're always on trip advisor planning our next day or choosing a restaurant for dinner, we use local transport and enjoy a bit of variety. Personally, I don't think this hotel caters to - or particularly wants to cater to - couples our age.

From the beginning when we checked in, the staff were friendly but fake - the blonde lady at concierge looked down on us as if we had crawled in off the street despite the fact we were trying to book the most expensive massage in their spa; she acted like she was doing us a huge favour. She was just downright rude and snobby.

Wifi: ridiculous! It was cheaper for us to pay the daily O2 roaming rate than purchase 1 hr of Internet usage in the hotel which is just disgusting! Yes, you get 1 hour free in the restaurant but that is 1 hour from when you activate, not total usage and it doesn't long! Oh, there are 2 computers in the lobby which are free or you can upgrade to an executive suite for free Internet. Come on...most hotels these days at least give you free wifi in the lobby - why try and make money out of something which, these days, is generally the norm? Receptionist's condescending response was we are on holiday and shouldn't be using the Internet, what century are we in?

A bit of good service but as a result of bad: On the first night our mattress was awful, it felt like a cheap no name brand from Ikea - every movement caused springs to move and pierce your ribs and wake your partner. We requested them to swap it the next day which they did with a much better one. But I wonder which unlucky couple ended up with the terrible one...

Back to the concierge, after failing to get our massages booked at the same time and trying to convince us we should do them one after another (which we didn't want to do!) she eventually got them half an hour apart. The day of the massage we went to double check the times and she had moved them to the same time, which was great but why did no one tell us? Her response was "oh sorry". Again, a 5 star response? I think not.

The massages were good albeit carried out by external masseuses however after a 90 min massage you expect to be offered some water - we tried to get our own from the gym area but the water machine was empty (!) which ruled out having a sauna... again not the end of the world but this is a 5 star hotel!

Breakfast was average, the bacon was particularly dry and overcooked and maybe only 2 or 3 basic cereals on offer, which, with a restaurant with such a high reputation, we were surprised and actually decided not to eat dinner there based purely on the poor service (always getting rushed by unfriendly waiters) and average quality of the breakfast.

I don't like writing bad reviews but I really think the Imperial Art Deco failed to deliver on so many occasions it is warranted. With hotels, sometimes it's the little things that count....and there were none of these which was very noticeable!

Room Tip: back of the hotel away from the tram was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest, Thank you for bringing some items to our attention. We are glad for any feedback you may have. I am sorry we did not quite deliver up to your expectation. Would you be willing to share more details of your experience with us directly? I trust we will be able to make it up to you in some way.
Yokohama, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Prague is a magical city, particularly around Christmas. The Imperial Art Deco Hotel is an impressive hotel at any time.
We were in Prague from 26th to 29th December. The style of the hotel is on the label and is possibly not to everyone’s taste, but it is the primary reason that my partner and I stayed there. The décor may be art deco but the facilities are bang up to date. I must mention the exceptional service, particularly in the bar and at reception. One thing that lets the hotel down slightly is the standard of house-keeping. There is no problem with cleanliness but we experience small niggling problems with non-replacement of tissues in the bathroom, no sugar and tea and coffee only provided for one person, a used cup not being cleaned, etc. As I say, they are only small irritations but not what you would expect from a hotel of such high standards.
The restaurant / café where breakfast is served is very impressive and the breakfast selection can’t be faulted. Super. Unfortunately we didn’t eat in the restaurant during the evening, preferring to take advantage of the food available in the Christmas markets or in local restaurants elsewhere in Prague. However, if and when I visit Prague again, I would probably stay in the Imperial Art Deco hotel again and will definitely have an evening meal in the restaurant.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Art Deco Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!