“This is a great 5* hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
5% OFF ON HOTEL WEBSITE
Ranked #36 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Sarvar
“This is a great 5* hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I stayed here 5 nights in December 2012 and the hotel is really great. We were upgraded to an Executive room which was large and well equiped.

The staff was friendly and very good informed about what to do in the town.

I would definatelly recommend this hotel to everyone who would likes style and comfort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Turkish first
london
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

First things first: my poor review of this hotel is based on it being a 5 star and us paying a premium to stay there. If it were a 3 star Ibis hotel, then it would have gotten a much better review but as it's not, then I think it was fairly poor service for what you pay. Let me explain .

After reading some of the other bad reviews I think it is clear who their target market is: Middle-aged/ older couples who like to stay in fancy hotels, pay a premium to use their chauffeur services, eat repeatedly in the boring but exquisitely beautiful hotel restaurant (or the first expensive place the concierge suggests) and generally let the hotel dictate your holiday for you. Nothing wrong, just not how the slightly younger generations travel these days.

We're a couple in our early 30s who do a lot of travelling and like to 'control' our holidays; we're always on trip advisor planning our next day or choosing a restaurant for dinner, we use local transport and enjoy a bit of variety. Personally, I don't think this hotel caters to - or particularly wants to cater to - couples our age.

From the beginning when we checked in, the staff were friendly but fake - the blonde lady at concierge looked down on us as if we had crawled in off the street despite the fact we were trying to book the most expensive massage in their spa; she acted like she was doing us a huge favour. She was just downright rude and snobby.

Wifi: ridiculous! It was cheaper for us to pay the daily O2 roaming rate than purchase 1 hr of Internet usage in the hotel which is just disgusting! Yes, you get 1 hour free in the restaurant but that is 1 hour from when you activate, not total usage and it doesn't long! Oh, there are 2 computers in the lobby which are free or you can upgrade to an executive suite for free Internet. Come on...most hotels these days at least give you free wifi in the lobby - why try and make money out of something which, these days, is generally the norm? Receptionist's condescending response was we are on holiday and shouldn't be using the Internet, what century are we in?

A bit of good service but as a result of bad: On the first night our mattress was awful, it felt like a cheap no name brand from Ikea - every movement caused springs to move and pierce your ribs and wake your partner. We requested them to swap it the next day which they did with a much better one. But I wonder which unlucky couple ended up with the terrible one...

Back to the concierge, after failing to get our massages booked at the same time and trying to convince us we should do them one after another (which we didn't want to do!) she eventually got them half an hour apart. The day of the massage we went to double check the times and she had moved them to the same time, which was great but why did no one tell us? Her response was "oh sorry". Again, a 5 star response? I think not.

The massages were good albeit carried out by external masseuses however after a 90 min massage you expect to be offered some water - we tried to get our own from the gym area but the water machine was empty (!) which ruled out having a sauna... again not the end of the world but this is a 5 star hotel!

Breakfast was average, the bacon was particularly dry and overcooked and maybe only 2 or 3 basic cereals on offer, which, with a restaurant with such a high reputation, we were surprised and actually decided not to eat dinner there based purely on the poor service (always getting rushed by unfriendly waiters) and average quality of the breakfast.

I don't like writing bad reviews but I really think the Imperial Art Deco failed to deliver on so many occasions it is warranted. With hotels, sometimes it's the little things that count....and there were none of these which was very noticeable!

Room Tip: back of the hotel away from the tram was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
BlankaAtImperial, Director of Sales at Art Deco Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2013
Dear Guest, Thank you for bringing some items to our attention. We are glad for any feedback you may have. I am sorry we did not quite deliver up to your expectation. Would you be willing to share more details of your experience with us directly? I trust we will be able to make it up to you in some way.
Yokohama, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Prague is a magical city, particularly around Christmas. The Imperial Art Deco Hotel is an impressive hotel at any time.
We were in Prague from 26th to 29th December. The style of the hotel is on the label and is possibly not to everyone’s taste, but it is the primary reason that my partner and I stayed there. The décor may be art deco but the facilities are bang up to date. I must mention the exceptional service, particularly in the bar and at reception. One thing that lets the hotel down slightly is the standard of house-keeping. There is no problem with cleanliness but we experience small niggling problems with non-replacement of tissues in the bathroom, no sugar and tea and coffee only provided for one person, a used cup not being cleaned, etc. As I say, they are only small irritations but not what you would expect from a hotel of such high standards.
The restaurant / café where breakfast is served is very impressive and the breakfast selection can’t be faulted. Super. Unfortunately we didn’t eat in the restaurant during the evening, preferring to take advantage of the food available in the Christmas markets or in local restaurants elsewhere in Prague. However, if and when I visit Prague again, I would probably stay in the Imperial Art Deco hotel again and will definitely have an evening meal in the restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We visited the hotel early December as a late booking. For three nights stay we got a good deal and were very excited to visit the hotel after reading the reviews. Service was good from arrival, we arrived at approx 11.30 am and we were told we could check in so it was nice to take a little break before exploring Prague. The hotel has a great location, we walked everywhere. The hotel is beautifully decorated-perhaps one of the best I have seen, especially for the price. One niggle about the bathroom, the bath has high sides-one time I went to get out the shower and slipped over ending with a nice big purple bruise on the inside of my leg. The staff were always willing to help, we asked for recommendations a couple of times which we were happy with. For two mornings we had breakfast at the hotel, a little overpriced for what it is but really filling for a long day walking around Prague. I really would recommend the hotel, our trip was such a whirlwind and I am thankful that we picked this hotel as we had no problems.

marlow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

stayed for three nights over Christmas,not much effort made for Christmas in the hotel and the bathroom was too small.Overall,very good breakfast,service,and stunning decor.The concierge on duty for part of our stay was not helpful,but her male counterpart gave us plenty of info and help.

Room Tip: first floor,but small bathrooms
Shaddath
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Imperial hotel. First of all, the hotel is really well located. The Metro station, the Palladium Shopping Mall, some Banks and the Old Town are within 5 minutes walk. Secondly, the 1920's decoration style is very nice and gives a special charm to this place. My room on the 6th floor was small, but very comfortable and very quiet. I slept like a baby. The staff and the concierge were very friendly and helpful, helping with directions and restaurant reservations. The breakfast buffet was not outstanding, but was ok. It offers a large choice of food and beverages.

My only complain is that tap water is full of chlorine and therefore not ok for drinking. Therefore I would have appreciated to receive a free bottle of water every day (like it's done in Asia).

W Yorks, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

We stayed at the Imperial Art Deco for 3 nights in early December to celebrate my wife's 50th birthday. We treated ourselves to a Junior Suite which was very well appointed, extremely comfortable and very quiet. The hotel facilities were very good overall and we enjoyed the small but perfectly formed "spa" (steam room, sauna & gym)

The hotel location is excellent within easy walking distance of the Old Town area with it's abundance of restaurants etc. Public transport connections were good too and we travelled the tram to other parts of the city with great ease.

Staff were friendly and helpful, although service in the restaurant was a little brusque at times. It was very busy however!

Two very minor gripes however.

1) We took the hotel car service a short distance one evening to a restaurant. - We were told the price beforehand and chose to do it because we were late and had been warned about the unreliability of regular taxis (by the hotel). Nevertheless we felt the charge of 300 Crowns was really excessive.

2) Similarly the drinks in the hotel bar were almost twice the price of other bars in the area.

On arriving home I realised that I had left my phone charger in the room. The Conceirge service responded quickly and efficiently to my email and arranged for it to be sent to me by mail.

I would certainly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Art Deco Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!