“Not a good experience” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Fortuna West

You added Fortuna West to your Saves list
Fortuna West
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Mrkvickova 1091/2, Prague 163 00, Czech Republic (Praha 6)   |
Ranked #485 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Cleethorpes, United Kingdom
“Not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012

This was our first visit to this hotel and to Prague, we were allocated a room which was opposite the tram lines which ran most of the night so noise is hard to ignore. Toiletries basic. The bed was two singles put together, which were not at all comfortable to sleep on, they creaked every time you moved, pillows were very lumpy they were more like bits of duvets stuffed inside, on asking a member of staff for another room we was informed that all the beds were the same, request for softer pillows due to neck condition fell on deaf ears. Curtains were about a foot away from the window, leaving a gap letting in light and not good for privacy. Towels had holes in, quilts dirty when checked inside cover. Got stuck in lift, had to wait for caretaker to let us out. Second night, 2 males in room next door making a racket so got little sleep 3rd night same. Eventually after little sleep, rang tour operator and was allocated another hotel which cost an extra cost of £70.00 to be moved to a 3 star Hotel to spend the last two days of our visit to Prague.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
Rennes, France
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This hotel is located at 15 to 20 minutes from the city center by tramway. The connection is pretty good.

The room I stayed in was very spacious but with several downsides. The double-bed is actually composed of two smaller mattresses side by side and they slide a lot. There are no window blinds, only curtains so there is a lot of light coming in early in the morning.

The hotel provides a taxi service from the airport for a fixed rate (20€) which is a welcome service. Note that you will have to pay the driver directly in the cab as the hotel does not handle this transaction (to my surprise).

The breakfast buffet is decent, but the beverages (coffee and juice) are pretty bad.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Losky, General Manager at Fortuna West, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Dear guest,
would like to thank you for sharing your feedback about your recent stay at the Hotel Fortuna West. All comments we receive are taken serious, your feedback helps us to continuously improve our service. All the inconveniences during your stay will be discussed with a management team of the hotel and all necessary steps for improvement. I want to thank you once again for having chosen our hotel for your stay in Prague and would be happy to welcome you back in our hotel.
With kind regards
Radek Losky, Hotel Director
Ostrava, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

This was our second visit to Hotel Fortuna West and we were pleased with everything - helpful receptionists, comfortable and clean room, tasty dinner in the restaurant with friendly service and a nice choice of food at the breakfast buffet - all for a very reasonable price! I will be happy to stay again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mr. John,
thank you very much for your second stay in our hotel. I’m pleasured you return to us. I would like to thank you for your nice comment concerning our staff and clean room. I will certainly share it with them to motivate them to continue to offer great service.
Thank you for recommending our Hotel at TripAdvisor.
Radek Losky, Hotel Director
Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is situated about 20-30 minutes train ride from the centre of Prague, but is near the airport (10 minutes). It has a nice dining room, which serves both breakfast and dinner, it's not a gourmet restaurant, but it was good enough if you are hungry. There is a supermarket not far from the hotel, ask the receptionist - it's on the highway, near McDonald's. You can buy there whatever you need.
The hotel has a convenience shop, where you can buy train tickets and the train stop is 2 minutes walk from the hotel.
The rooms are basic, but clean, some of the rooms allow smoking, which means that the hotel will smell like cigaretes.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Losky, General Manager at Fortuna West, responded to this review, August 1, 2012
Dear Mrs.,
thank you for your positive comment. We are glad you enjoyed the stay in our hotel.
We are looking forward to see you again in our hotel.
Sincerely Radek Loský
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012

I had very nice time in this hotel. Rooms were big and perfect cleaned. Breakfast was very basic... No lemon for a tea! First breakfast was quite hard for us, because there was no place for eat, so we had to wait about 20 minutes. But next day it was much more better. Friendly and quick servis at breakfast. Very helpful and friendly stuff at the reception (Adéla). If you need cheap and nice accomodation go for it, I had no problem in this hotel, and I will choose this hotel everytime I will "need a sleep" in Prague.
Go for it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Losky, General Manager at Fortuna West, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback. I am happy to read your compliments of the warm hospitality extended to you by our team at the reception. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Thank you very much for highly recommending our hotel.
aylesbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

Having found this hotel on the net, we were a little bit concerned about its location about 25mins on the number 9 tram from the city centre.(very good reliable service) However the staff were very friendly, the rooms were clean and tidy and (incidently probably the largest I have ever stayed in). The breakfast was a little bit basic and the a'la carte restaurant was anything but. Having said that the breakfast area was spacious and fairly well represented if as I said very basic. The service in the bar was a little bit hit and miss also depending on who was working. Overall we had no problems during our stay and would not hesitate to use it again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Losky, General Manager at Fortuna West, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Mr. Colin, thank you kindly for taking the time to share your personal experience from your recent stay with us at hotel Fortuna West****. I am very happy to read that you had good experience with us. We certainly look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the very near future.
Galway
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

I stayed one night in a single room in Block C. Was considering giving it a 2/5 rating.
The standard of this hotel is probably reasonable when you consider how cheap it is. However, I've seen better hostels in Europe in the same price range!
The single room was truly a single room - about 5-6 feet wide - fairly smallish with a small bathroom. The single bed was tiny. I'm sure had I been taller my feet would've dangled at the end. I was unfortunate enough to be facing out onto a busy road and the bins patio at the back of the hotel. Book a room in a different block in this hotel if you can. In the middle of summer it was quite humid and warm, but not unbearable on the higher floors with the windows wide open.
The room was clean though as was the bathroom. The power in the shower was great and I enjoyed at least having a proper shower. The shower tray filled with water very quick though as I imagine the drainage was not made for a strong water flow. It felt a bit icky standing in tray water so I didn't linger too long in there.
The oddest thing in the bathroom though was the neatly folded clean towel, which on unfolding had an number of tears and holes. There was a soap in its wrapper and a shoe wipe in an individual sachet. No shower gels, or shampoos common to most hotels these days (acceptable for a cheap rate though). On speaking to my colleagues, all of them had the same towels with holes and tears, but none of them got even a soap!
There's wifi only in the lobby area. If you even go outside the front door of the hotel the signal drops. Basically couldn't even make a private phone-call via the internet connection. The breakfast was ok, considering continental breakfast seems to be norm in the region - cold meat and cheese buffet with some pastries and juice. I just had a pain au chocolat.
The receptionists were friendly. I did find it odd I had to prepay for the room upon check-in rather than at check-out though. Bar is alright. Had a Cuba Libre cocktail special and just hung out in the bar area late evening and early morning. Ok for 1 night stay but wouldn't be my pick for any longer though.

Room Tip: Pick rooms >3 floor on hot days. Rooms on left of corridor in Block C face the bin-yard.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Losky, General Manager at Fortuna West, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Dear Guest, thank you very much for taking the time to write a review and sharing your feedback. I would like clarify on some information what you wrote. The single room size is standard size. Some people may seem a small room but it’s large enough for one person. You are right there is no shower gel or shampoo in the bathroom. You can buy it at hotel reception for a small fee. There is soap dispenser with liquid soap in every bathroom. I apologize for the bad condition of towels. I have already informed the laundry about this and old towels will be replaced. I sincerely appreciate you share your personal experience. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.
Sincerely, Radek Loský

Been to Fortuna West? Share your experiences!