“Fantastic stay, delighted i chose Golden Well on my first trip to Prague” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Golden Well (U Zlate Studne)

Save Saved
You added Golden Well (U Zlate Studne) to your Saves list
Golden Well (U Zlate Studne)
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   U Zlate Studne 166 / 4 | Praha 1-Hradcany, Prague 11800, Czech Republic   |
Special Offer
Romantic Package
Ranked #2 of 668 hotels in Prague
dubai
“Fantastic stay, delighted i chose Golden Well on my first trip to Prague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2013

Based on mostly positive Trip Advisor reviews, i chose to stay a Golden Well on my first trip to Prague, a city i had always wanted to visit. And i am very glad I did. From the moment i contacted the hotel after making the booking on Booking.com, i felt reassured that my transfer request and other queries were efficiently handled and immediately. Something which even Four Seasons, fairmont, mandarin Oriental and Ritz take time in replying. The car and driver (mercedes-E class) were there to receive me as soon as i walked out of arrivals. The hotel is situated in an obscure street but its perfect, location is great as its at the bottom of the Prague castle, or rather mid-way down the hill, with direct access to the gardens as mentioned by other reviewers. My room had a beautiful view of the terraced garden steps and of Prague city and was so well appointed, the ipad and ipod in the room for use, free wifi, complimentary pralines and fruit on arrival, nightly sweet treats on the bedside table, the nespresso coffee machine, i could not have been more comfortable. The bathroom floor's heated and there were these gorgeous Molton Brown toiletries, towels plush and soft, lovely Bidet. Besides the great service, the fantastic welcome experience at the front desk and later at the restaurant where you are given welcome hors' d'ouvres and a drink and given helpful suggestions about the city and any tours you are interested in, i must add some words about the quality of food. I booked dinner at Coda, their signature restaurant and had the most amazing beetroot salad with goat cheese and venison with berries. I think i died and went to heaven, was thrilled to have venison after years!
As for breakfast, which i had pre-booked@20 Euros daily rate, i could not have had a better deal. It was a complete meal in itself though a la carte. The ala carte bit had egg options, juice and beverage options and even desserts (meaning French Toast and Czech cake which is more like the softest, yummiest pancakes served with cream cheese and hot blueberry sauce!). The omelette was simply amazing and so were the pancakes and French Toast. the selection of breads and Danishes was great and the home made creamy yogurt has been rightly praised by others...a complete meal and a really really nice one..
shops are located a short walk away and there are restaurants down in St Nicholas square close by opposite Starbucks and the Tram point. Old Town is a good 15-20 minute walk down Charles Bridge if you are a slow walker. But the best part is Golden Well is not too far from Old Town and right next to Prague Castle where one can go for early morning walks and watch the sun rise when its all quiet minus the daily visitors. I love this place and will definitely return here again when i visit Prague in summers. The only thing missing which was duly noted at the front desk was the absence of a rubber mat for the bath tub, which can get slippery, otherwise its perfect!

Room Tip: Room 35 has a great view, the suites on the 1st and 2nd floor are great if you have children or are...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo

1,222 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2013

Fantastic hotel. Service being paramount. One nice touch is the complimentary I-Pad in each room for your use. THe hotel is located at the end of a road, right up against the castle walls. They do not tell you , but there is a private door to a small stairs to the castle grounds. While touring the extensive castle grounds, you can duck back into the hotel for lunch, a rest or something you have forgotten. The restaurant on top of the hotel is also excellent. Panoramic view of the city with excellet, though expensive food. One warning; they claim to have a 4:00 to 6:00 happy hour in the private lounge with complimentary drinks and light food. It should be called the 4:00 to 4:30 happy our. Our first day we came at 5:30 and nothing was left, no wine, no food, not even clean glasses.

Room Tip: THe higher up the room, the better the view.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Jiri_Hlavaty_GM, General Manager at Golden Well (U Zlate Studne), responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Stanely J,

I am so happy to hear that you discovered the beauty of Prague as well as our lovely hotel.

I am extremely disappointed to hear that our complimentary afternoon refreshment didn't meet your expectations. We prepare the food for our guests with pleasure to restore body and soul after returning from a busy touring of the city of Prague, and I am very sorry that at the time of your visit, the food was not replenished. I hope this incident does not deter you from visiting us again. It is always our intention to have our guests leave the hotel with only positive experiences, and I apologize that we did not exceed all of your expectations.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly when you are ready to make a reservation. I will be happy to assist. Thank you for your feedback.

With warmest regards,

Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a truly oasis. We (we took my ILs on this trip) enjoyed our stay of 4 nights in Prague. We had the cutest room and large for European standard. Location is a bit tricky to the main area but definitely a walking distance. However, you are very close to the castle. Breakfast served on the veranda overlooking the city is breathtaking. After a long day of excursion, there is little something at the sitting area awaiting, après drinks or petite desserts.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

In summer of 2011 I proposed to the woman of my dreams in Prague.

I researched a lot of destinations and hotels.

My criteria was:

Excellent and memorable place to propose
Excellent hotel
Romantic city

It was a pretty tall order to fill and being a romantic at heart there was some pretty exhaustive research. I had never traveled to Prague before so there was a little added uncertainty.

I have been fortunate enough to travel to many places around the world and stay in some pretty incredible places both boutique and large hotels.

The Golden Well was nothing short of incredible from the time we checked in until the time we checked out. There was absolutely nothing to complain about.

The staff - friendly, courteous, informative and helpful

The room - great bed, beautiful bathrooms, luxurious soaps and shampoo, nicely appointed furniture, great view, quiet

The restaurant has a STUNNING view!

We enjoyed breakfast at the hotel every morning and enjoyed a romantic outdoor evening dinner at Terasa U Zlaté Studně. We had the tasting menu which was very good.

The Golden Well not only impressed on every level but also provided excellent memories for the special occasion.

When we return to Prague - The Golden Well will be the only choice!

Excellent!

PS. She said yes, at the top of the tower of St. Vitus Cathedral

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room with an excellent view of the roof tops below and towards the river and city.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Jiri_Hlavaty_GM, General Manager at Golden Well (U Zlate Studne), responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Morten L,

Thank you for sharing this great review of your time at the Golden Well Hotel.

I am delighted that you chose to stay at the Golden Well and that we were able to make this stay special for you. I am also pleased that you found the staff attentive and the rooms immaculate. It is so good to know that you found the hotel faultless.

Thank you for your comments regarding the Terasa restaurant, we work really hard on providing our guests with the best possible service.

I am happy to hear that the "woman of your dreams" said yes and wish you many years of joyful and contented marriage!

I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back on a future visit to Prague.

Kind regards,

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Staying at the Golden Well was the perhaps the best hotel experience we have had in many decades of travel. The hotel is perfectly situated below the Prague Castle, with direct access to the gardens from the hotel. It is quiet and away from the crowds that fill Prague. Our large corner room overlooked the red rooftops of the city, had lovely wood interiors and a large bath, and was beautifully laid out (after noting in our reservation that this was an anniversary trip we received both a corner room and a complimentary cake the first night we stayed there). Breakfasts (included in the price) were large and delicious, as was a room service dinner the first night we arrived and an elegant dinner our last night overlooking the city .

Most important of all, every member of the staff was attentive, friendly, helpful in every conceivable way, and interested in how we had spent our day and our plans for the next day - without being fawning. They helped us arrange an informative private guide to visit Terezin and found us a great place for dinner when our guide book's choices were not available. Finally, while one of the guidebooks suggested that it was a climb from the old city to the Golden Well, we are in our 60s and easily walked from the Charles Bridge in 10 minutes.

The Golden Well is not cheap but it is worth every penny – do everything you can to make a reservation there. You will never forget it!! (September, 2013).

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We splurged on a 4 night stay at the Golden Well hotel in Prague and it was money well spent. Frist off, the hotel is located on a small dead end street in the embassy district just below Prague Castle. You'll be a 10-15 minute walk to the Charles Bridge, so this is not the place for you if you want to be heart of Old Town. However, it was perfect for us because walking the cobble stone streets of Prague can bring delightful sights at every turn.

The hotel staff is extremely gracious and will sit you down with a glass of sparkling wine upon your arrival while they explain the amenities of the hotel to you. The staff will loan you an umbrella, exchange currency, sell you stamps, post your letters, and arrange for tours Our room was decorated in cozy warm and dark colors and had a window overlooking the charming street leading to the hotel. I was impressed by the green marble tiled bathroom and the daily treats that we brought to our room. There is also a pillow menu so you can select a comfortable place to rest your head.

The Golden Well has outstanding access to the Prague Castle. You can reach a private entrance to the castle by taking the elevator to the 4th floor and then walking up through the terrace restaurant. This will save you countless steps.

Yes, the breakfast is outstanding with an unparalleled view of the city. There is a modest buffet of sliced meats, cheese, fruit and breads. But the real treat is getting the cooked specialties including eggs benedict, sausages, smoked salmon, or omelets. When you are finished, your waitress will ask you a surprising question: "would you like some dessert?" Meaning strudel or Czech pancakes ( thin like a crepe) cooked to order. Say yes to the pancake which simultaneously light and dense.

There is also a small common room on the first floor where you will find snacks and wine if you need an afternoon pick-me-up. This is a great place to chat with other guests.

I would highly recommend the Golden Well. We had an outstanding experience there.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear DoctorM,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your experience at the Golden Well Hotel.

It gives me great satisfaction to know that you enjoyed your stay here at the Golden Well and I am pleased to hear that you found the hotel’s location to be so convenient for you and that you appreciated how Charles Bridge and other Prague main sights are within walking distance of the hotel.

Thank you also for your kind words regarding the excellent service that you experienced throughout your stay, I will be sure to pass on your kind words to the team. They all will be delighted to hear that you found the pillows to be comfortable and that you slept soundly as this is an important part of any holiday. I am thrilled to read that you would recommend the Golden Well to anyone looking for the perfect hotel as we proudly reflect the heritage and eccentricities of Prague.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Golden Well in the future.

Kind regards,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed at the Golden Well for three days in early September. What a great start to our trip! The staff could not be any more helpful and we were very impressed with how much time was spent on our welcome tour. The complimentary drink was also a very nice touch as was an IPAD for our room. We ate breakfast every day with a wonderful view of Prague and a waitstaff that was extremely attentive and nice -even remembering each morning that I like cinnamon in my oatmeal. We enjoyed a wonderful dinner on the terrace also. We were very glad that the hotel was so close to Prague Castle and not closer to Old Town as we felt there were too many crowds as you got closer to Charles Bridge or Old Town Square. I do a lot of research on hotels before I book them, as I am very particular and I was so glad to see how wonderful Golden Well is. It was always a joy to return to our room after a long day of touring.
Do not hesitate to stay here. We hope to return sometime in the future!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jiri_Hlavaty_GM, General Manager at Golden Well (U Zlate Studne), responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for the great review! We’re honored that thanks to your stay at the Golden Well Hotel your trip started perfectly! It’s very exciting to know that you and your husband enjoyed your stay and in particular the arrival experience, your room and your cinnamon breakfast oatmeal :-) Thank you again for sharing - we hope to welcome you back again one day!

With warmest regards,

Jiri Hlavaty

Been to Golden Well (U Zlate Studne)? Share your experiences!