“A time machine back to 1900`s!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Evropa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Prague
Hotel Evropa
Vaclavske namesti, 25, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Praha 1)   |
Ranked #494 of 668 hotels in Prague
Bratislava
“A time machine back to 1900`s!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2010

I once said- if i had to choose any hotel in Prague where i`d like to spend my time, it would be this one. I`m a kind of secession-freak, in love with everything old which has a story, and this amazing place has fulfilled my dream! Building erected sometime in late 19th century, richly decorated with flowers, complicated facades and inscriptions- and that`s just the exterior, once you`ve entered, you`ll notice the breath of imperial history. Full of decorative elements made from steel, glass and wood, not to mention the cafee and its mirror room! this place is a must for any non-spoiled antique lover.
Rooms are spacious either with or without bathroom- you choose- furnished with wooden wardrobe, bed and tables. My room was on the 3rd floor with an amazing view on Venceslas square, heart of the city and a little cafe Tramway11, located just a few steps from reception. Everything was clean and tidy; but yep, bathroom was maybe the only not so good looking place (the bathtub has seen better times), but in general, whole place was so cool that it didn`t matter. I knew what i`d chosen and expected worse. It`s a great value for money. BTW you even get a discount when paying cash, so go for it.
Of course, it`s not for everyone. You can choose much better hotel almost everywhere in the city, but you know, all those high-class 3*+ hotels look everywhere the same. Here you`ve got a chance to meet an era gone hundred years ago!
PS. may i return to prague someday, i`d go here for sure. And i want to say a big thanks to the receptionist, don`t know if she was owner`s fiancee or just an employee, but it felt great to speak with such a kind person.

I strongly recommend!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

116 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Wollongong, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2010

The hotel came recommended to me but I found it rather old and worn out. I had to share a bathroom which was not a very comfortable experience. The view from the room was amazing, but that's really the only positive from this experience.
The hotel is at least within walking distance of the best sites in Prague.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I was actually staying at the Hotel ceaser palce a ways away, but I heard of this hotel from a person i hold in the highest regard and went to check it out. I went to the cafe, which is beautiful beyond words. I'm an old soul, so the art nouvou look really did it for me. The attention to detail in the place is stunning. The server however, was faily indifferent, but I got an espresso anyway. I intended to eat, but they took so long, i thought better of it and left. I coulden't get the place off my head though, and a day later, returned. The cafe was almost empty this time and I was served by a young man who like most czechs I've experienced, was not overly friendly, but spoke decent english and kept the espresso coming. I ordered a lambsteak, potatoes and spinich which was amazingly good and people watched from the cafe. They don't jump on you at this place the way they do in the states where I'm from, but that's fine by me. When they get to you, they treat you well. I was impressed with his service and found him to be actually very friendly when I was there a while, language barrior non withstanding.
I tipped 60 crowns, a generous amaount, and decided to give the hotel a go. The lady upfront with short blond hair was welcoming and spoke the best english of anyone I met while in Prague. I got the key to 102, my room and gave it a look. it was like stepping into another time. Lavander walls, Louis XIV furniture,a floor to ceiling window overlooking the main thouroghfare and lots of light. I was extremlyhappy. The bathroom was a little rusty looking, but one has to realize that this is a vintage hotel and they do things in a vintage way, so it's hit or miss. i loved it and slept soundly the whole night. Keep in mind that there is no air conditioning, wifi, hair dryer, or tv. Fine by me. if I want that, I can go to a personality free drone like my other hotel.
I woulden't recommended this place for a long stay if you fancy creature comforts. however if you like nostalgia, history or an old world vibe, it's recommended highly. I must have taken enough pictures to fill an album. When you walk down the halls, you can feel and see that this used to be THE place to be in Prague and i'm sure for a time in europe for that matter.You expect a woman in a ballgown and man in a top hat and tails to walk by at any given moment.I now it's overshadowed by Hyatts,Ramadas and lots of cookie cutter chain hotels. That's a shame, but unless your a primadonna, like most people here seem to be, it should suit your fancy fine. If you book a room here, I suggest you sit in the hall and just space out and soak it up. There's not many places like this anymore.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

My partner and I intended staying here for 3 nights but didn't even last 1 night! Upon checking into the hotel we were greeted by a rude staff member at reception and it went down hill from there. Our room was shabby and dirty, not to mention the bathroom which had a hole in the wall to the basement. The architecture was not at all to our taste, way to heavy. We spent the night walking around the streets looking for alternative accommodation and at nearly midnight found a self contained apartment across the road. Upon returning to the hotel to check out, it was in complete darkness inside with only parts of the stair area lit making it impossible to find the lift so we had to climb 5 storey's of stairs. When checking out, we happily paid for one night's accommodation with the guy on reception trying to convince us to come back for breakfast! The nearby shop's, cafe's and restaurant's were good and the central location great.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

The Hotel is old and rustic but rich in history and very polite staff. It is centrally located for the best Prague experience.

Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
bridgend
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

were our first impression the entrance and public areas looked old well kept, but once we arrived and signed in it was all down hill, and food/restaurant was awful as was the service. The rooms were old, dirty and generally shabby.

you will need to ignore the hookers and lookie lookie drugs sales directly outside from after around 6pm, apparently this is because you are within quarter of a mile of the two biggest brothels in the world!

generally the area was fantastic, within walking distance from all of the best local sights but not really suitable for families.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled with friends
Barnsley, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2009

Stopped at hotel Evopa with a group of 6 friends in April 2009. Paid approx. £400 for 4 rooms for one night. The rooms themselves were basic to say the least. Very cheap rough plastic carpets, thin nasty looking pine furniture and a door into the room that would take no effort to open even if locked. The toilet/washroom was about 5 feet square and contained the toilet, shower and sink. The shower had no shower curtain and so everything was drenched whenever either of us had a shower. The toilet/washroom furniture was equally old and tatty. The sink didn't have a plug and all the metal items like towel rail and mirror frame were starting to rust.

In my opinion this is a hotel that is living on past glories. Stop there if you want somewhere near to the centre, but make sure you get a good deal on the price.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Evropa? Share your experiences!