“Staying here would be a terrible mistake.” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Top Hotel Prague & Congress Center

You added Top Hotel Prague & Congress Center to your Saves list
Top Hotel Prague & Congress Center
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Blazimska 1781/4, Prague 149 00, Czech Republic (Praha 4)   |
Ranked #611 of 662 Hotels in Prague
zurich
“Staying here would be a terrible mistake.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2013

This is a tired and sad hotel. Its dated and not in a nostalgic, charming way - worn and musty carpets, aging wood panels, and very much feels like you stepped back behind the iron curtain.

We stayed here for a business event, although its shocking that they market themselves as a business hotel when they have such mediocre facilities and unprofessional, indifferent staff.

The hotel is also far from the city so pointless for tourism - its either a 18 euro cab right to the old town, or an inconvenient bus and metro ride. And there is nothing within walking distance of the hotel worth visiting.

Room was large but zero personality and looked like a university student's collection of randomly gathered furniture. My room faced east and had no black out curtains, so even with the drapes pulled it was bright enough to read a book in the room once the sun came up. Also, the room faced the courtyard and there was loud noise and drunks there each night, so forget about leaving the windows open when its warm. The room has a small safe, not large enough to hold a laptop so you have to drag this with you throughout the day.

The room had two bathrooms, both of which were dark with poor mirror lighting. One had a giant bathtub but no toilet. The other had a toilet and a phone booth sized stall shower with a nozzle that only hangs at your chest. Amenities were limited to a small face soap and in-bath gel/shampoo dispenser, and there is no in-room tea kettle or coffee.

This is leads us to the food. The breakfast buffet was appalling, reminded me of kindergarten (not even high school) cafeterias. They have three restaurants, all of which have decent lunches and dinners but service that moves at a glacial speed. The best menu seemed to be Bohemia on the top floor. At a few of the meals, the waiters complained when we wanted separate checks or to charge to our rooms, and the meal amounts were often inaccurate on the final bill (again, a business hotel? No way.)

There is a lobby bar with a nice view of the gardens, but unfortunately it was filled with smokers all day (yes that's right, indoor smoking).

As far as a meeting facility this place is poor - their event salons were crammed and poor AV,and break out rooms were often locked - necessitating us to hunt down elusive hotel staff to unlock them several times. We also ran out of in-room water, and during a few breaks wither they had coffee but no cups, or cups but no water in the coffee machine.

The hotel also gouges you for extras. You have to pay to use their on-site fitness center and pool. I enjoy a relaxing swim after a long day, but unfortunately their pool is closed from 5:00-7:00 most nights for private swim classes. There is a sauna and nice steam room, but these were often out of service during our stay.

Also, this allegedly 'business hotel" charges you for internet in you room, and this is only provided with a ethernet cable, so sorry mobile phone and tablet users. There is free wifi in the lobby, but it is with slow bandwidth and often cuts out.

Lastly, our checkout was a nightmare that made a mess of the last's days agenda - the average wait was 20 minutes, and more than half our group had mistakes in their bills that required the manager to approve, and the hapless desk staff could not do anything themselves. Also the bills are only Czech, no English, which is a challenge if you need to itemise your expenses.

This "Top" and "event" hotel does NOT do what it says on the tin!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Maribor, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

We were in the hotel two days ago.
The whole hotel stinks and the rooms and floors are in bad shapes.
On the floors the kids are screeming and knocking on the door all night and you cant sleep or rest.
The towels are dirty, the box with shower gel is empty, windows and mirrors are dirty.
4 stars are too many for this hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ljubljana, Slovenia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

Maybe it's OK, if you travel alone and book (overpriced) 4 star room, but in the morning you'll share huge breakfast/dinner hall with groups of noisy students that are often put also in sectors with higher class rooms and therefore it's not easy to have night rest or enjoy your meal. Food is worse than average, staff with few exceptions (when you communicate in native language) completley unfriendly and disorganised. Bus to nearest metro station runs every 30 minutes, so it's better to go on foot. My recommendation: use this hotel only when you have no other choice! Avoid busy periods like spring and New Year's! I know hotel for about 20 years since it's name was Kosik and stayed there many times in that period, but not much has changed.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Slovakia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Where to begin...I booked this hotel through second party (travel agency) and didn't check reviews, what I always do when travelling on my own. That was a mistake. I was a business trip, if it was just me but I wasn't the only one involved. We were a large group of people.
Important info: this hotel has over 900 rooms.
Arrival: When you see those buildings you ask yourself are you on the right place. Hotel buildings remember very well times when communists party ruled the country.
Check in: "Great" experience. There is a reception for individuals and for groups (not in the same place). It seems like a very good decision by managers. But.... Receptions for groups is in the other side of the building. By walking along very long corridor you can admire a very "unique" design of the lobby. I would say someone was in Las Vegas and tried to reproduce some of those hotels (painting of local pop and opera stars, old car etc...). The problem is the budget was probably 1% of the Las Vegas and it was done at least 15 years ago. Trying to find a group reception you can admire smells of the hotel. Upon our arrival it was fish and at the day of our departure cheep detergent.
Finally we found group reception. Surprisingly it was smaller than main reception and maintained by just only 2 receptionists. Some of my colleagues arrived individually but they were treated as a groups so they had to wait an hour to get checked in. It s usual that you will hand out your ID or passport and you collect it later. Not in this hotel. You have to fill in a form and you wont get you keys until it is fully completed. No worries went you forgot your ID you can write there anything you want :-))))
VERY IMPORTANT: Dont even think about checking in before 2 pm. You will be fully ignored even when you seen the keys are prepared and it is just 25 minutes to 2 pm. They have their orders. I have to admire those receptionists that they are able to stand the pressure, stay with their "I dont care, I have my orders, you are just one of thousands" routine.
After check in: Wow we got our keys so lets find our rooms. I do recommend to use stairs. They probably think that the stairs are used only in case of fire when you only care about getting out and so they are widely ignored by maintenance and cleaning. But these stair are not hidden. They are next to elevators and if you don't want to wait for elevator you use them. Just be careful they are pretty steep.
Hallways during the night: I wonder why this hotel hasn't declared itself an eco-friendly. They are saving energy. During the night time there is only one light in the hallway. Dont forget to take a flashlight because you might end up in a wrong room. Or you might not because your card wont work and you will have to go to reception to reactivate it. In our group there wasn't a person without this experience.
Rooms: Rooms are spacious - very spacious. But, I didn't risk to put a bare foot on the carpet. Want to watch a TV from bed - rearrange the furniture to get a view on it. But take the binoculars distance between TV and bed is big. Room wall decoration. I dont know what is their name of the artistic style I call it dead flies and bloody mosquitoes on the wall. They wanted to have luxurious rooms so the best idea was to put around the ceiling a decorative frame (communists building - decorative frame :-( - whats wrong). I wouldn't even notice it but they don't cared about leaked glue or what it was, so you can see stains all around.
Bathroom: Without light it seems clean (upon my arrival the light was working, I didn't risk to call a maintenance). They provide towels, some sort of soap. Shower gel was is a box, again I didn't take a risk and used my own. Even it is a 4 star hotel I do recommend to bring all your toilet kit with you.
Sleep: I was always very tired and then I am able to sleep anywhere.
Wake up service: Dont rely on that. My colleague did and nearly missed departure.
Breakfast: :-))))) Come early to find a place. Breakfast in this hotel reminded me my school years. When you collected you meal from the window. I always look forward to hotel breakfast, even when it is simple. The smell of coffee and pastry. Not here. The detergent smell was present. I lost my appetite just by looking at the style the food was served. First day I just had a glass of orange juice, next day I play it safe with just a roll (there were no clean glasses so I used the coffee cup for juice).

FINALE: This is a very sh... hotel. It should be immediately reviewed by the authorities and the hotel should be reclassified. Do not stay here, it is not worth the money. One last recommendation: DO NOT STAY IN "GARNI" TOP HOTEL (cheaper 2 star neighbor). It is not hotel, not hotel garni - it is more like lousy 3rd grade hostel.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Belgrade, Serbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

I was in that hotel few day ago. Stuff was terrible, food was complitly the same every day, rooms are moldy. This hotel does not deserve 4*! Horror! Thay dont have enough towels, not giving shower gel. Dont go there!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Belgrade, Serbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

4* hotel? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, more like 2* hotel! Staff barely knows english language, they are not very friendly, very dirty rooms, far from city and full with crazy Russian kids...

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Slovenj Gradec, Slovenia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Hello! I just came home from Prague, where I staid in Top Hotel. Befor I went there I read all the reviews and the ratings about hotel. I was scared what to expect! But I was so positivly surprised! Our room was very big with big TV in it. I don't know about WI-FI, I didn't even try to connect 'cause I was too busy sightseeing. The hotel in a little bit far away from the old city, but if you take metro, you're in the center in about 25 minutes. The metro is free (actually one day ticket is 110 kČ, but you don't have to buy it, they can't get you!) :) We only choose to have breakfast in the hotel and the food is actually delicious! And also the staff is very friendly and helpful. You get clean towels every day. I don't know for you, but as I said I was positively surprised! I recommend! Nina, Slovenia

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Top Hotel Prague & Congress Center? Share your experiences!