“Lovely Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles)

You added Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles) to your Saves list
Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles)
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Nerudova-Uvoz 4 | Praha 1, Hradcany, Prague 11800, Czech Republic   |
Special Deal
Save on Public transport tickets
Ranked #107 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Aberdeen, New Jersey
“Lovely Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

My husband and I stayed at Hotel U Krale Karla for one week. It is a beautiful, quaint, romantic place. Almost feels like you are staying back in medieval times. The location of the hotel is in a quieter area so if you are looking for more options to bar hop etc. this wouldn't be the place to stay. Like most of the other posts have stated its located on top of the hill close to the castle so be prepared to walk a great deal from the other areas. The breakfast was plentiful and had a more than enough options to choose from. There is a bar about 2 doors down from the hotel that we frequented quite a bit for a drink before calling it a night. Small but can sit at the bar for a few drinks. Bartenders there very nice. Gets very crowded there on Fridays and Saturdays though. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in Prague looking to stay close to the castle and away from the more crowded areas. Perfect for couples. My only complaint, and it really isn't a complaint as we realize this is an older hotel but the shower in our bathroom was very small. If you are a bigger person you may not be able to fit comfortably in it. My husband is a stocky football player type of guy and he had a very hard time showering each day. Not sure if all the bathrooms are like this but we stayed in 102 and the shower was very small.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple
Forys_Matej, Generální ředitel at Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles), responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your kind and positive review. I am happy that same as many other our guests, you have discovered the beauty of calm atmosphere of the Prague Castle district. There is definitely a lots of places around to go for few drinks and nice atmospehre, but your night sleep is not disturbed by group of drunken tourists.

I am also very happy that you have enjoyed style of the hotel, which is definitely very original. I am sorry about discomfort of the bathroom. Every room has a little bit different size of the bathroom, due to the historical building where the hotel is placed.

If you deceide to stay with us again, please do not forget to notice your need about larger bathroom and I can assure you that our reservation office will do their best to find the most suitable room for you.

Thank you for your kind and positive feedback on your stay and we wish you a nice Advent times.

Axxos Hotels & Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Genoa, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

it is absolutely the quaint and romantic. The service is very good, it is located in one of the most interesting streets in Mala Strana, very close to the castle and five minutes walk to the bridge. I and my boyfriend spent a perfect weekend there. I definitely suggest it!

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Forys_Matej, Generální ředitel at Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles), responded to this review, 2 weeks ago
Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your kind review and stay at our hotel U Krale Karla. I am happy that we were able to satisfy your stay and hopefully we will be able to welcome you back very soon.

Thank you again in the name of the well working employees. We will keep up in our new quality style service and I believe hotel U Krale Karla will remain as one of the most atmospheric hotels on Lesser Town and Prague Castle Area.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We stayed for 4 nights in one of the suites - Room 101. This was a beautifully furnished large room, with a lovely painted plank and beam ceiling. Very warm and comfortable after a day of sightseeing. We liked the fact that the hotel is in a quiet location below Prague Castle, but within easy walking distance of Charles Bridge and beyond. There is no public transport up to the hotel, but for most people this is probably not a problem. The staff were very pleasant and helpful. The breakfast was fine but nothing special. We would definitely recommend the hotel, which we felt offered fantastic value and great character, and we would look no further than U Krale Karla if we visit Prague again.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us and we are already excited for your next visite to Prague. I am very happy that you have been satisfied with your price-value choice. I believe that specialy this very quiet location of Prague Castle district is one of the biggest advantages of our small family hotel.

Prague is very dynamic city also for walking. The river has cut deeply into the ground which creates wonderfull sights and views. I am happy that you have found it and we will be happy to welcome you again.

2 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Openly to say, I want to have working internet and not an internet which is not working cause repeaters are missing. Furthermore Russian Pprpaganda TV stations you have, but no other German station except Deutsche Welle which is offering German news for Foreigners. This is not good for your German customers.

• Stayed December 2014, traveled solo

Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your open review on our services. First of all let me appologize in person, that we were not able to satisfy your expectations about your stay. As according to the very low points you gave to the stay, I realize that it was a major dissatisfaction for you, which needs my personal and immediate attention.

I have started investigation about the issues you have described. And according to the check-out duty receptionist, you have not comply any negative feedback to our services. I will definitely have personal talk to the front office staff who was checking-you in trying to find out, if you have complained and what was the solution.

I have also asked to check about the wifi signal. Actualy it is running all very well and according to the IT support there was a lack on signal due to ice-storm calamity during your stay. According to also other previous reviews, there are many over-satisfied customers with wifi connection, which looks for now to me, that it was just unexpected and unusuall situation. We appologize for that, weather situation in week 30/11 - 05/12/2014 was a calamity and general to all the city.

I have also asked our technics for list of sat-programs and we find out that we have many of Austrian TV channels and just 2 German. We appologize for that as czech foreign citizens, it is little hard to see and understand the difference. I have already asked that there might be about 4-6 channels per country, we are working on amendment. Again, we appologize.

I hope that if you give us the second chance for stay in Prague, there will be all right according to expectations. Unfortunately we did not get any feedback from you about our front desk service, room facilities or breakfast form. As you have my email to your disposal, I will be very happy for your feedback also about all other services.

It is allways very painfull if we have not satisfied our guests. We are ready allways to improve and try to solve all the issues on the spot. I hope your feedback will help my colleagues to understand that the biggest fault was, that there was no solution made till your departure. In this way, it is our highest priority to avoid such situations and I hope we will get one more chance from you on your next stay in Prague.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Me and my mother stayed for 9 nights in this beautiful hotel. The location just under the castle is supreme and the hotel is fabulous. Buffet Breakfast is so great and good that after it we needed only another meal for the whole day! Personal of the hotel is really friendly and careful also and free wi-fi works pretty well. The rooms are very clean and with beautiful antique furniture, I would give 5 stars to this hotel actually. For sure if I come back in Prague this hotel will be my choice.

• Stayed November 2014
Forys_Matej, Generální ředitel at Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles), responded to this review, 4 weeks ago
Dear Guests,

thank you very much for your very long stay at hotel U Krale Karla. We are very happy about your positive review on our services. It is definitely a great award from guests who has stayed such a long period with us and had the time and chance to trully study all the details of the service.

If you have even after so many days got such a positive overview, I do beleave we have done our job well and I will definitely pass your positive words to all staff members. Your feedback is the true energy who leads everybody in such a small family hotel, towards better service.

Thank you again in the name of all the hard working members of the team and hopefully we will be able to welcome you again.

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great hotel up on the hill, away from bustle of the Old Town, but within easy walking distance. 10 mins to Charles Bridge, 15 mins to the Old Town Square. Nice clean, airy room with separate lounge area... although the shower was pretty poor. Breakfast selection quite good. Would stay again, as location was perfect.

Dear Guests,

thank you for your stay at hotel U Krale Karla and mostly for open and positive reivew on our services. I can honestly say in the name of all hotel staff, that all of us are doing our best to provide comfortable accommodation with unique antmosphere of the accient Prague.

I do believe that we will have chance to welcome you again, possibly with all new bathrooms next time.

Liverpool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2014

I have just returned from a 5 day stay at the Hotel UKral Karla, on first arriving the appearance both outside and in the lobby are impressive,however within minutes the magic vanished.The lady on reception was not very welcoming and gave us tour details in Russian,we are English, which she knew as she had viewed our passports and read the forms we filled in.
The next disappointment was the room allocated to us,No304. Again on first appearance very nice ,old worldy theme. Then on closer appearance,plaster coming of the wall above the door frame ,where there had obviously been a leak prior to our arrival. Broken, not cracked ,tiles on the bathroom floor. A leaking tap on the bathroom sink,reported13th,still not fixed 17th. Window catch in the bedroom broken ,so unable to close the window fully,reported not fixed.
No end of dust all around the room and on every ledge possible.
The next surprise was the breakfast. The room for breakfast was totally inadequate for the number of guests, seriously short of seating and tables.
The breakfast itself would have been ok if it had been available and the goods that were meant to be hot were.i.e cold bacon and scrambled eggs.
We sat waiting for half an hour waiting for the hot breakfast to be replenished after it had ran out, without result. We soon realized why,the lady who was supposed to be working in the breakfast room was outside the hotel having a cigarette?
I have never been to a hotel anywhere in the world and come across such miserable unfriendly staff,that is apart from the young lady M. Olmer, who was working on our last day, mind you she told us it was her first day at the hotel.Never the less very helpful.
Overall a unsatisfactory stay at what could be a nice hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a room at the back of the hotel the noise at the front, especially from the Absinthe /Cannab...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
Forys_Matej, Generální ředitel at Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles), responded to this review, November 19, 2014
Dear Guests,

thank you for your open review on your stay at hotel U Krale Karla. First of all, let me appologize to you personaly for all dissatisfaction with your stay. As we responsibly search for our clients feedbacks, I have to say I am very sorry that we have not had chance to meet in person, even I was at the hotel on public holiday on 17th November since very morning. I can ensure you and all our reviewing guests, that all described mistakes in service procedure and quality will have direct impact on responsible personel and its managers.

I have of course already started investigation on what happened about your stay according to your description in review. As your feedback is in quite a high contrast to all the previous reviews since August 2014, when I have overtaken management of Prague Collection Hotels, and also 1st such negative feedback since than too. I feel there must be a high focus from my side.

Thank you for your open feedback on our services. I do believe it will help me and my colleagues to concentrate more about discribed service failures. I still hope this was exceptional situation, due to large number of positive feedbacks, we have recieved in last 4 months.

Axxos Hotels & Resorts

Been to Hotel U Krale Karla (King Charles)? Share your experiences!