“Comfortable hotel away from the hustle & bustle” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Julian

Save Saved
You added Hotel Julian to your Saves list
Hotel Julian
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Elisky Peskove 11 | Prague 5, Prague 150 00, Czech Republic (Praha 5)   |
Special Offer
Free parking
Ranked #32 of 666 Hotels in Prague
Carlisle, England
“Comfortable hotel away from the hustle & bustle”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We had a four night stay at the Julian in mid-December. I was hoping for snow and blue skies and got both!

Getting to the hotel - Normally we would use public transport to get from the airport to the hotel (and this is a simple matter of Bus 119 and Tram 20) but as we were arriving towards midnight I opted for the hotel's taxi service. Glad I did as the airport was largely deserted and everything shut. Efficient, quick journey with a friendly driver - 600CZK.

Location - I'd done plenty of research before booking and had opted for the Smichov area, or in this case, somewhat midway between Smichov and Mala Strana. It's a 5 minute walk North to the Petrin Hill funicular and a further 5 mins on you are into the heart of Mala Strana. In the opposite direction, it's a 15 minute walk to Andel and its new shopping mall (excellent supermarket there). As others have written you can actually walk to the old town easily enough in about 20 mins. However, the Prague tram system is excellent and there's a tram stop just 2 mins walk from the hotel - four tram routes run through this stop including direct services to Wenceslas Square, Mala Strana and Andel. Very usefully, the hotel reception sells the one day travel card and provides free maps (with tram/metro routes). The locale is quiet but there are a couple of restaurants / pubs nearby. Alternatively, two or three stops on the tram up to Mala Strana opens up many more possibilities.

Breakfast - quite good. The usual suspects were present in a self-service buffet and the ladies kept everything topped up and tables tidied very frequently. The buffet is mostly cold meats and cheese but warm eggs (scrambled or boiled) plus sausages are included plus fruit, cakes, cereal. The bread was varied by the day and all of it was excellent especially the dark, seed-crusted wholemeal and the sourdough. I'd've liked more than the two sliced cheeses on offer. The coffee was a bit on the poor side I thought.

Bathroom - again, a nice size and clean. A couple of strange things here though: the shower head was at a height of 5 foot (150cm) which I found very odd so resorted to having baths. The hot water seemed a bit flaky taking ages to run through in the evening. Also the soap dish (no drainage holes) was drilled into the wall directly under the shower head with obvious nasty white stickiness as a result. Plumbers eh?

Bedroom - nicely sized room on the non-smoking 3rd floor (as is the 4th) with comfortable beds (firm mattress, lovely). Not a lot of street noise. Minibar and tea/coffee making facilities. The tv had around 15 channels including BBC World and CNL. Also included, gratis, are two "erotic" channels although this is a strange euphemism given that the actors had seemed to have got hold of the contents of the soap tray... Now, I enjoy a good show as much as the next man and whilst reception can turn these channels off I would question their inclusion in the first place at this type of hotel especially as free wifi is available.

Restaurant - we ate there just the once: quiet. This is a cosy little room downstairs described as being in the English Pub style (not really IMHO) run by a very friendly waitress. There are a couple of benches/seats to sit at the bar but I think the hotel is missing a trick by not opening until 6pm. I presume they want people eating rather than boozing. Quality good, prices ok.

In summary, a very comfortable option in an excellent location (as long as you don't want to be right in the middle of the action) with very friendly & helpful staff.

Room Tip: You must request a non-smoking room if you are a non-smoker.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us. Thank you for your review that definitely helps to other travellers. I am very glad our hotel was a good option for your stay in Prague and you liked the location as well as services provided by our staff. I am sorry if there was a trouble with the water, It was probably caused by frosts, it can become when the old pipes in Prague freeze, I am sorry for that.

We hope to see you at our hotel in the future again!

Have a nice Christmas and I wish you all the best for the year 2013!

Radka Římalová

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel at the beginning of December and the apartment was a warm and cosy refuge from the snowy conditions outside. It is located within easy walking distance of all the attractions with plenty of reasonably priced dining in the area if you do not want to dine in the hotel's excellent little bistro. The staff are friendly and extremely helpful. I will recommend this to anyone that I meet who is going to visit Prague.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay with us during your december trip to Prague. Thank you also for your feedback. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your recommendation.

You are always welcome here!

I wish you marry Christmas and happy New Year!

Stockholm, Wisconsin, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

My wife and I stayed for four nights at the end of November and would not hesitate to book again. The location while not adjacent to the main tourist sites is very convenient to Prague's excellent and inexpensive tram which gets you pretty much anywhere. This was made even easier by Paul at the front desk who went over and above to help us find our way. Paul also helped us arrange a car rental in Brno so we could explore Moravia's wine region. We had one very good dinner in the hotel's restaurant and several others in restaurants within very easy walking distance. We particularly liked "Knives and Forks" for very inexpensive but excellent meals. Whether this a 3-star or 4-star hotel is meaningless to me. It was clean, cozy, well-run, friendly, with a good location and a great staff at a very fair price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

thank you thank you have chosen our hotel for your november stay in Prague. I appreciate your review. It was the pleasure of Paul to assist you during your stay. I am glad you liked the location.

I hope to welcome you here soon again.

Have a nice Christmas time and successful New Year!

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was our first visit to Prague and won't be our last. The hotel was perfect. The attention to detail by staff was excellent and the front desk staff were exceedingly helpful, advising on places to see in Prague. The warm welcome fire in the evenings was so inviting and the cleanliness of the hotel was excellent. Room was warm and inviting with tea, coffee facilities. The selection at breakfast was very good. Perfect location, only 10 minutes walk from Charles Bridge. Hotel arranged transfer from and to the airport. Your own personal late luggage compartment was great. Would highly recommend this hotel if you are going to Prague.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear guests,

thank you that you have chosen our hotel for your first stay in Prague. Thank you for your feedback, I appreciate that! Thank you for your recommendation, I am happy you liked location as well as provided services.

We are looking froward to your second stay!

Enjoy the Christmas time and I wish you successful New Year!

Moscow
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Absolutely amazing hotel at wonderful (even in winter!) city... I was charmed with this hotel since my first step to the lobby. Tongues of flame in the fireplace whispered me that it's the best accomodation for tired traveller...
First of all, there is absolutely charming member of staff here. I think everyone tried to do something extra their duty for every guest. And I belived them! I saw that it was sincerely.
The second, I always prefer to stay away the center of city and crowds of tourists. I got exectly that I want. The center of Prague is not so big and really not far away from the hotel. 10 minutes walk along Vltava and you are at The Charles Bridge. Add another 10 minutes and you are Staromestske square in front of mysterious Astronomical Clock.
If you prefer public transport, trams always ready to open its doors for everyone who can decide the puzzle with buying ticket in the ticket's machine. Anyway, if you aren't ready to waste your time the best decision is to ask ticket (wonderful word in Czech - 'ezdenka') at the front desk. Аnd Andel underground station is on the distance of 5 minites walk.
Interior design is very special things of hotel too. It has so many different but well selected things... You should have a look on the old bicycle at the first floor hall and knight's armour at the second!
If you flight is in the evening you could leave luggage in the individual (!!!) box at the basement.
There were electric kettle, cups and some tea bags, coffee and cookies in our room.
I strongly recommend this hotel for everyone who wants to live in atmosphere of real hospitality in so romatic city as Prague and of course I hope to come back here... may be next spring...

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
HotelJulianPrague, Manager at Hotel Julian, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your winter Prague visit and stay with us. I appreciate your very nice review. I am so happy you were charmed with our hotel. We always try to do our best for all our guest, thank you for your praise. I am very glad you liked interior design and all provided services, thank you for your recommendation.

I hope to welcome you again next spring.

Have a nice Christmas and I wish you happy New Year!

Stowmarket
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It's location is just great, easy walking distance to all places of interest but far enough away from the hustle and bustle to be quiet and peaceful. The decor and architecture is just lovely, spotlessly clean and full of nice little touches, from the artefacts on the staircases to the guest sitting room fitted out as a library complete with log fire. And if all that wasn't enough the staff were wonderful. Paul made us feel so welcome on our arrival and was really helpful with all our requests for information. The meals, both breakfast and dinner were really good, both in quality and in value for money. All these things added up to creating an atmosphere that was relaxed and welcoming - the closest I've ever come to feeling that I was "going home" in the evening after a day's sightseeing away from home.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guests,

thank you very much for your stay at our hotel. I appreciate your time devoted to writing your nice review. I am happy our location was great for you and you liked all provided services. It was the plasure of Paul to be helpful for you, thank you for mentioning. I am very glad to read you had a feel you were going home.

You are always welcome here and hope we will see you soon again!

Enjoy Christmas and I wish you all the best for the year 2013!

Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a lovely hotel - very individual and with a very high standard. Paul on the front desk made us very welcome, and also made lovely mulled wines for us to have in front of the fire.
Good selection at breakfast which really filled us up and also cakes and biscuits available all day in the lounge. Good position of the hotel with very little traffic noise and a delightful roof garden which we visited in the snow! Service in the restaurant was really good in the evening and good menu choice and the bedroom was spotless with very comfy bed. Cant wait to return again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,

thank you that you have chosen our hotel for your stay in Prague. I do appreciate your review, thank you very much for your nice comments. It was the pleasure of Paul and other staff to make your stay comfortable. I am happy you enjoyed your stay and all provided services.

We can´t wait to welcome you here again as well.

Have a nice Christmas and I wish you all the best for the year 2013!

Radka Římalová

Been to Hotel Julian? Share your experiences!