“Not as good as it used to be!” 3 of 5 stars

The Diplomat Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Evropska 15, Prague 16041, Czech Republic (Praha 6)   |
Ranked #251 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Weston super Mare, United Kingdom
“Not as good as it used to be!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

Ive been visiting the Diplomat on and off now, for over 20 years and this time I was saddened to find that the standards seem to be slipping. The receptionists were rather cold and unwelcoming and although I'd asked for a room at the back or the side, I was given one at the front - very noisy even with the window shut. There used to be a little park at the side of the hotel but this is now being built on - another source of considerable noise!
I found that the room was clean although beginning to look a little shabby around the edges; I found that was unable to turn off the floor standing lamp from the switch at the side of the bed and therefore, I had to actually remove its plug from the wall socket. I reported this to reception in the morning and was assured it would be repaired - by the time I left 5 days later, it still hadn't.
Worst of all though was that my room wasn't cleaned for 2 days; I came back to the hotel on the 3rd day before lunch and luckily managed to catch one of the chambermaids who cleaned it otherwise it would have been 3 days without cleaning!
The breakfast is still very good but the service in the CD Club Restaurant and Cafe Klimt is very slow - a hot dish ordered in the Cafe took nearly 50 minutes to arrive!
I shall have to think very seriously before I book accommodation at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Try asking for a room at the back or the sides of the hotel for a quiet sleep!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Diplomat011, General Manager at The Diplomat Hotel, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your review about your recent stay in Diplomat hotel. I highlly appreciate all comments from our valued guests as they help us to focus on areas for improvement and better our services.

I do apologize that we did not meet your expectations of our services, I immediatelly shared all your comments with a department heads of the hotel and we will proceed with intense training especially in housekeeping department and restaurant of the hotel.

I again would like to thank you for all your comments, I do hope that we will have a chance to welcome you in Diplomat Hotel in future.

Mathieu Rouri

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Athens, Greece
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2014

This hotel is located outside the centre of Prague but this is not a big problem since the metro station is in front of the hotel and in 3-4 stops you can get to the center. The good about this hotel is that it is cheap since it is not located in the center. It is a big hotel with a huge lobby area and at first sight it gives the feeling of a quite good hotel.Unfortunately the rooms are quite dissapointing. The furniture is old and destroyed, the carpet and the linen seem dirty. In general I can say the rooms are slightly tolerable. I was not happy at all but I wasn't completely freaked out. Although we were a couple they put us in a very small room with two single beds (also another couple of our group) and they changed us the next day. The breakfast is average in quality and in quantity. I wouldn't pick this hotel but we were in a group and the other choices we had were way more expensive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear evangelia1977,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to share feedback about your stay in Diplomat Hotel Prague. I was most concerned to read your review, I would like to ensure you that I personally checked several rooms in regards of furniture condition and cleaniness. I shared your comments with a management team of the hotel and we will take all steps necessery in order to ensure that our rooms offer the maximum comfort for our guests.

I would like to point out that we are proud to be ideally located, only 15 minutes from the airport while 2 stations of the underground from Prague castle.

I do hope that we will have a chance to welcome you in our hotel in future.

Thank you once again for your comments.

Curitiba, PR
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

It's a very nice hotel, a bit far from the old town but only 15 minutes from the Castle. The staff is very nice and helpful and the breakfast was excellent! Too bad the room decor seems to begin to show its age; I sometimes felt like staying in a hotel in the middle of the 90s. I don't think the bed is super comfortable either, they may have to change the mattress. But it isn't something that will ruin your trip, it's just ok. It's very quiet and from the higher rooms you can actually see the castle. The Diplomat seemed one of those hotels whose glory was left somewhere in the past and I would say it's a 3 stars hotel, not 4. My boyfriend stayed in 2011 and said it was way better than nowadays. Our room didn't have a locker and I find it odd for a 4 star hotel, plus the toiled paper wasn't very soft and it seemed really cheap. Maybe the Czech Republic is so safe that you don't need a locker anyways. These are little things that dragged me down, but overall it was a good staying!

Room Tip: Getting any other room but the basic as we did.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I have now stayed at this hotel 5 times, and it has been great every time. The employees are very nice and helpful, the rooms nice and clean and the breakfast is great. It's situated perfect at the end of the bus linie 119 from the airport, and only 4 stops from downtown by metro. I will certainly come back again :-)

Room Tip: Ask to be put on the top floors - there is a very nice view of the city from there.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed on my Treyn rail trip of Europe at this hotel over Christmas. It is a bit far out of town, but a few yards from the metro terminus: four stops to Prague; didn't dare try the changes of trams on my own! Very nice room: well lit and with a floor lamp and a comfortable chair, and a kettle and a fridge. With so many hotels within nine days, I appreciated the radiator in the bathroom - to warm the bathroom and to dry my smalls! Whatever happened to heated towel rails? Little mini-mart across the road, and also a decent pub if you can deal with the smoking at night - although it is smoke-free at lunchtime. The only down thing was the poor and limited wine served at the hotel bar; we still remember the Austrian antifreeze scandal, and the wines were pretty grim, however much they were bigged up. Staff were so nice and friendly, but the manager should have ensured proper cover just before dinner, particularly on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, when one poor person did her best with our group of 38 and other clients too! The latter is my only complaint about this very nice hotel.

Room Tip: Back high room away from the front road
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Diplomat011, General Manager at The Diplomat Hotel, responded to this review, January 6, 2014
Dear LeoneCumbria,

I would like to thank you for your possitive feedback about your recent stay in Diplomat Hotel Prague. I was very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay and found our rooms nice and well equiped. I deeply value feedback from our guests as it helps us to focun on areas of improvement. I will difinitely investigate staff situation on Christmas day and I would like to ensure you that we will make sure in future that all of our outlets are well staffed.

Thank you once again for your kind comments. I am very much looking forward to welcoming you in our hotel in future.

Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2014

Rooms were as expected and breakfast was great. Not all the same things I'm used to here in Ireland, but a v big selection of other things, try them all, but best of all are the scrambled eggs, yum! Service was simple, just what you need, and decor is beginning to show it's age; redecorating and new bed covers would do the world of good. Great facility of free use of the "business centre" to check in online and print our boarding passes! Only complaint was the cleaning staff were very overzealous; towels were always replaced and bed remade even when we arranged them tidily anyway. They also came into the room several times one morning when we were having a lie in, even though I had put the "do not disturb" sign on the door, not impressed!

Public transport was v convenient, even though the tramline outside was being rebuilt while we were there. 119 from the airport to the hotel is great, then metro station right outside! There's almost no need for taxis, normal service runs til midnight but there are night trams on the hour, ask reception which is the best one for your needs, and they are covered by your normal transport pass; 110Kc for 24hrs, 310Kc for 72hrs, get it! Billa (supermarket) about 200m away (ask for directions), local, so don't speak English, but handy for supplies. Kutakarak (probably spelt that wrong) restaurant on the roundabout has great beer and local cuisine at good prices. In general, for Prague, never spend more than 50Kc on a large beer, or more than 200Kc for most main courses. If the beer/goulash is approaching this price, move on, you're being ripped off. Shop around for tours, there's good value to be had, and some ridiculous prices. We found Sandemans to be best, do the "free" tour of the main sights in the Old Town, and check out their other tours too; we did the Kutna Hora day trip for 600Kc, if you get a chance, go, there's so much more to see than the Bone Church, even though that in itself is almost worth it anyway! Much quieter than Prague, but not short of sights! Also, try get to a classical concert and to a Black Light Theatre Show. These can be expensive, but good ones can be got within 500Kc. We found Metro Theatre best value, and was a fantastic show. Visit the Cafe Louvre across the road at least once; decor is fabulous, food is great, and excellently priced, and you can even play chess at your table if you ask for a set! Not to mention you'll be sitting where Einstein and many others liked to hang out... The Municipal House by the Powder Tower or Mozart's concert hall nearby are good spots for classical music, avoid the overly touristy ones in the Old Town near Charles Bridge if you're looking for a good deal, though if you can haggle you may do well.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Diplomat Hotel? Share your experiences!