“Once is enough!” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #143 of 662 Hotels in Prague
London, United Kingdom
“Once is enough!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Firstly the hotel staff were not as welcoming. In my eyes it's a straight put off.
Then we we're miss old the tickets for the metro and they all passed the buck about the blame and quite frankly I was spoken to like an idiot. Once I challenged the concierge they realised they couldn't lie.
Location is not bad it's close enough to places by metro. It's two stops from town and the metro is on your doorstep.
The positioning of the building near a main road mean you can always hear sirens.
This is the first hotel stay where I have had to pay for the swimming pool and sauna which I found odd.
All in all I would not rave about the hotel. It's average for a cheap weekend away. There is no way I would have paid full price though.

• Stayed March 2014

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
workington, cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

Visited with my husband, really nice hotel, excellent gym and pool with views across the city. Food and drink in the hotel a little expensive but food really nice easy access to the city with a metro stop literally on the doorstep. If I was in Prague again I would definitely return. Breakfast included in the room rate was excellent there was the greatest choice of food I have ever seen.
The only downside was the hotel taxi booked to the airport and the smell of body odour in the car was really for a professional. The staff in the hotel were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. We will be looking for other corinthia hotels when we visit other cities.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Europe
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2014

Despite staying here over 5 times previously - all because we were having a conference at the hotel - I haven't reviewed it before as our experience has always been very average. However I felt there was a change in attitude on our recent visit and feels it deserves a mention, especially as I hope now someone will take notice of the reviews, whereas before I always got the impression no one at the hotel was really interested.

So first the negatives - other reviewers have mentioned the temperature and this is something the hotel MUST address. It was uncomfortably hot 6 years ago and nothing has changed. When we are working our days are long and can be stressful, therefore a good nights sleep is vital. We always ask when checking in for a room that has air conditioning that works - and we are always told that they hope it will - its a game we play as we and reception know that it doesn't ! So ask for a room fan - last time all our colleagues had them but the last to arrive was told they had run out. So I say to the hotel - if you aren't prepared to turn on the air conditioning (its a question of cost - as the hotel is rarely full they don't feel its cost effective to run it) then buy a load of room fans. You cant continue to market yourself as a 5*(??) hotel and not address this.

Location - on paper it looks too far out of Prague, but actually its great, as hotels in the city can be noisy and/or much more expensive. This is a nice part of Prague - Vyšehrad - and this area is well worth a look around, especially the cemetery which is where some of Pragues most famous and influential people are laid to rest and is only 10 mins leisurely walk away The metro station is between this and the hotel and is extremely conveiennt - 2 minutes from the front doors of the hotel, and seems very safe at any time of the day or night. In 5 minutes you are at Muzeum station which is at the top of Wenceslas Square and one change to line A and two stops you are at Staromestska for The Old town and charles bridge. So its location is actually no problem - unless maybe you are infirm in which case the metro may not be suitable.

The positives - because of its location just out of the main city it often offers better value than other hotels in the main town, but with that comes the risk of sleepless nights - so for us its actually better to be here than in the city.

The swimming pool on the top floor is pretty impressive, although its quite small so if you wanted to swim properly then you may find your way blocked - however it does offer the most amazing views and the relaxers facing the windows are a lovely place to relax and unwind after a hard days sightseeing. Some room packages incluer this, otherwise there is a supplement to pay for access to the spa, which I think was about €20 - so if you definately want to use this it may be cheaper to book a room rate that includes it. Because its not 'open to all' it tends to be fairly quiet most times, and without being full of noisy children spoiling things for everyone else !

We also noticed an improvement in the staff this time too - Czech people can often come across as being rude when actually they arent, its just their manner, and last time we were here there were a number of trainees in the restaurant which made breakfast quite a challenge - missing cutlery, trying to get coffee, food plates being taken when Id only gone to find a knife - none of this was the case this time and as I was there for 5 days after the second day I was acknowledged by people and one lady even remembered I preferred a latte to the regular coffee. So a much better and very enjoyable experience this time.

We dined in the Grill restaurant on the first night - and the food was very good - a little on the expensive side but typical of most hotel restaurants, but saved us going out and was a much better quality evening than the other option of the beer keller just around the corner - which is often our usual feeding place if we just want food and beer after a hard days work.

Previously we have been given executive rooms - which tend to be on the higher floors, but this time we asked for a room on a lower floor because we already knew of the heat problems, and our regular room on floor 9 was perfect - we didnt need to ask for a fan. However all our colleagues in the 'business' rooms were very uncomfortable - and this was March!

And the question that matters is - would we stay here if we were choosing and paying for it ourselves? Yes - and we have done a number of times when we have had down days between conferences. We know its faults and are prepared for them and for somewhere quiet to unwind it offers us exactly what we want - if they could just deal with the air conditioning and make the rooms a more tolerable temperature.

The business lounge is also an optional extra that certain room rates include. There is wine and soft drinks and light snacks and pastries available throughout the day - and the spirits and hot food arrives at 6.00 and are put away promptly at 8pm - however it has great views and is a nice place to start your evening so if you . At approx €40 per night extra if you plan to spend some time in the hotel as well as sightseeing then its worth paying the extra as this includes Spa access also.

Room Tip: Sleep quality is only relevant to the lower floor rooms - it would be a 1 if you are in a higher flo...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
ft. lauderdale
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

There are a couple of issues with this hotel. First, the location is not great for seeing the city - especially the old town. It's too far of a walk from almost everything. Second, our room was stifling when we arrived even though it was a cool day. We immediately turned on what we thought was an AC but were later told that the entire hotel has a main heating/ cooling unit and this time of year the only air coming out of the vents was hot air. The windows don't open for "security" reasons so basically we were left with no air in our room. They brought us two fans which unfortunately hardly worked and didn't help the situation. Luckily for us we only had one night planned to stay in this hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Clonmel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

I stayed here for a night with my husband, we had earlier stayed at hotel anna, this was supposed to be a treat befire heading home. Our check in took an hour and a half because our room wasnt ready, we had something to eat there while waiting, mu husband ordered caesar salad with chicken which arrived minus the chicken. He returned it and it came back with the chicken. The waiter gave me a free glass of wine because of "the trouble ".. The waiter and the receptionist were trainees and both pleasant lads. We had no plug adaptor and asked the concierge for one, we got one but had to pay the equivalent of 40€ deposit for an item worth about 3€! At breakfast my husbands cup had a crack in it and my plate was chipped. The bedroom was grand but all in all i wasnt impressed with what is a five star hotel. I found it soulless and over priced

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

Strongly recommend this hotel . Location perfect - 2 underground stops to centre & station 50 mtrs from front door of hotel . Staff very helpful . Buffet breakfast has all you would want to set you up for your day in Prague . You have got to visit gym & spa even if it's for the view of city only .

Stayed March 2014
Kent
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014 via mobile

On arrival the staff were clearly having problems with mine and my friends cards. Eventually being told they had been declined. Left sufficent cash and headed to room. In the mean time on checking with my bank, charges had been taken for the room. Back down to reception I go. Told manager in a meeting and the hotel staff didnt believe me, eveb after showing them my phone. After gradually raising my voice the manager eventually appears. He too refuses to give all of my money back but offers 50%. Bags in toe we leave after I threatened to call the police unless they returned my cash. Manager wouldnt even provide me with a taxi to another hotel. Five star service I think not! Highly recommend the Hotel Paris, superb service and location.

• Stayed March 2014

Been to Corinthia Hotel Prague? Share your experiences!