“Quiet Location, Close to Tram/Subway” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Ametyst

You added Ametyst to your Saves list
Ametyst
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Jana Masaryka 523/11 | Vinohrady, Prague 120 00, Czech Republic (Vinohrady & Vrsovice)   |
Ranked #237 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Quiet Location, Close to Tram/Subway”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2010

The room we were given was good enough to move around, probably enough by European standards, 3 beds with the 3rd bed having nice storage for bags beneath. Had a refrigerator where we could keep food items though the breakfast buffet was just fantastic. Great selection for a European hotel. The staff was quite polite and though the iron curtain seems to have had an effect on people, they are very polite and nice and helpful. The only downside in this hotel is that the bar is next to the lobby and all the darn smokers make it stink that goes all the way through the elevator. In the front lobby, David was really helpful and somewhat more chattier than others. Rooms were clean as expected. May not call it 4 star in the US but by European standards, it was worth the stay. I would certainly visit it again. Location very close to Namesti Miru for Tram 22 and Subway. No escalator/elevator for subway though. Close from main train station too for trains out of Prague. We took train to Vienna and had booked the ticket the previous day. If travelling around the weekend, don't miss going to the old town square near the Astronomical Clock and spending time doing nothing.... Free Internet in the lobby is a plus though I did not have a notebook so dunno about WIFI.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Stratford-upon-Avon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2010

This is a modern, comfortable hotel in a quiet part of the city but within easy reach of the main attractions by metro or tram. The staff are generally efficient; both public areas and bedrooms are clean, bright and contemporary. Bedrooms are well appointed with good heating and air conditioning and bathrooms are bright and up to date, with a useful separate lavatory. The restaurant serves an excellent and efficiently replenished breakfast and dinner offers an interesting and well cooked menu at a reasonable price. Our only quibble related to the fact that one day our room was not cleaned : when we discovered this in early evening, there was no one available to clean it and (on Saturday evening) no member of the management staff apparently on duty until Monday morning, not what we would expect from a four star hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Kildare
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2010

We stayed here for three nights during our short stay in Prague. Reception staff were very helpful and friendly with one male exception.
Hotel is in a residential area of the New Town within 5/6 minutes walk of metro and tram. Breakfast was continental or scrambled eggs and sausage dining room was clean and cheerful.
Our room was on the small side but again spotlessly clean and valeted daily.
We were allowed have a late check out which was great as our flight home was 10pm
All in all a perfect place for a short break.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Long Beach, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

There is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel; in fact, I found it quite lovely, but I'm sorry to say that I'll never stay here again. Honestly, it's too far from most attractions, and the actual neighborhood isn't very interesting. I have nothing but good things to say about everyone and everything at the hotel, so if you don't mind being in relatively remote area, go for it -- the price can't be beat. But personally, I think Prague is too beautiful to not be closer to the center. It's half the fun. You'd probably have to pay much more, which would suck, but I found dealing with the metro annoying, and I'm a big metro fan in general. So if you're more concerned about price, really, stay here, you won't regret it, but if you want to have a true Prague experience, find something in the center. My own criticism is the bed, which is one of the most uncomfortable ones I've ever slept in. It's basically a platform with a very small futon like thing on top. My back is killing me.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

We stayed for two nights at the Hotel Ametyst. It was small, extremely clean and the staff were very helpful. The rooms are relatively small but again very clean and everything was in very good order (i..e. no tatty bits). The double bed we had, had two single duvets - if you're staying with a duvet snatcher this is a great idea!!
The breakfast was very good with hot options of mini sausages and scrambled eggs. The cold options of pastries, fruits, meats, cheeses and cereals were very good too.
The location is very good, there is a local czech bar just down the road and the metro and tram are about a 3 or 4 minute walk away. I can thoroughly recommend this hotel if you want to stay somewhere quiet but are happy to walk a bit to get to the main attractions.
We paid £20 for the trip from the airport to the hotel. (http://www.prague-airport-transfers.co.uk/) I can thoroughly recommend this company. The cars were new and clean. The drivers were safe and reliable and the cost was extremely reasonable (and you can pay in Czech currency or GBP!)

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
N.W
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

We stayed here for my friends 30th and chose this hotel due to the price, as it was on lastminute as a "Top secret hotel" for roughly half the normally offered price.

Its advertised as "New reconstructed 4 star boutique hotel with an ideal location in the city centre" for those who are interested.

Taking the price into consideration, I was more than happy with the hotel. Rooms were clean, warm and quite modernly decorated. Not sure about 4*s though, I'd give it a tidy 3*personally.
Hotel staff were polite and attentive allthough I did wait for the barman for 10minutes on one occassion and gave up, granted this was just before 12midnight.

I can't vouch for the acclaimed breakfast as it wasn't included and wasn't worth adding on arrival £ for £. However, left out of the hotel and to the top of the second left (l'america I think) is a little cafe bar called Zanzibar that serves good food at a very good price. We had breakfast here on our last day, I had an omelette with everything and a really good coffee for £4 and my mate had eggs benedict topped with salmon and a coffee for £3!!!! It also sells Bernard dark, one of the nicest beers I've ever tasted.

As for position the hotel claims to be a 15 minute walk from the center, more like 20-25 to the old town square. This is not a bad point though as it's a nice walk if you pass through Peace Square. you can also catch the tram here.
We enjoyed the little walk so much it has played part in planning our return trip in feburary, to which we decided to get a hotel in praha2 again and not the center.

For the price we paid, I would recomend the Ametyst but I don't feel I would have been quite as happy if I'd paid full price.

Sorry no pics this time.

Hope this was helpful:)

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Stoke uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2009

On arrival at the airport we were greeted by the hotel taxi driver, who was lovely and pointed out main tourist attractions on the 30 min journey, at the hotel there was no queue to check in and everything was ready, bags were taken to our Superior room which was of an ample size for our weekend break. The room was exactly as the picture on the hotel website and very clean, not many english speaking tv cjannels but we weren't there to watch TV.

Every main tourist attraction was within walking distance, we tended to just turn left out of the hotel and left again, this also takes you to the nearby Namesti Republicky small christmas market with beautiful church. A fantastic place to eat here is a big Pizzeria on the corner opposite the church serving a variety of top quality restaurant food all freshly prepared. I had a fantastic argentinian steak that melted in the mouth with roasted veg and fresh hand made pasta, we ate here 2 nights in a row with a 3 course meal (you must try the chocolate souffle) with a large caraffe of red wine and 2 sprites costing £40 and the quality of the food can beat a lot of places back home.

Wenceslas Square and Old town square are easy to find but food, drink, and other shopping are price equivalent to the UK, lots of high street and designer shops in old town square. The hotel staff gave us an easy to follow map.

All in all the hotel was fab, the staff were lovely and I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple