“Birthday Surprise” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hoffmeister & Spa

You added Hoffmeister & Spa to your Saves list
Hoffmeister & Spa
5.0 of 5 Boutique Hotel   |   Pod Bruskou 7 | Mala Strana, Prague 118 00, Czech Republic (Hradcany & Letna)   |
Ranked #82 of 662 Hotels in Prague
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Birthday Surprise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

My partner booked this hotel as my Birthday surprise and I am so pleased he did! We stayed in December so everything was looking beautiful and Christmassy.

We had an excellent welcome with an arrival drink, and the concierge sat down with us and asked us where we would like to go, and gave us some excellent reccommendations. We only had 2 nights (1 full day) in Prague so this guidance was really appreciated.

The suite was a junior executive and absolutely beautiful, with a huge jaccuzi that was perfect for two. We also had an unlimited mini bar that was thoughtfully stocked with both alcoholic and soft drinks of good quality.

Our 5-course tasting dinner on the first night was exceptional! I struggled a little mid-way and the waiting staff were so accommodating, giving us a half hour break before the next courses. They had also arranged a river tour included in our stay, which we took at twilight so that we were on the river when the sun set - this was so beautiful and very much recommended.

Breakfast both days was a huge array and all delicious, we couldn't fault anything.

Thank you so much for helping make our first holiday together so perfect!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Watford
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The deluxe room was big and spacious and the jacuzzi bath was very nice. The spa area is nice and we paid to use the sauna / steam room privately which was a great experience.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was good and varied.
The location is great, easy to reach by public transport from the airport and both the old town square and Charles Bridge were within easy ten minute walk and castle even less. It is also very close to the metro and team station.
Would definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed January 2014
South Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

My boyfriend and I sayed here between the 9th of Jan to 12th of Jan and we had a lovely time. This was my second stay in Prague in a 5 star hotel and although I have to agree with the previous reviewer this may not be your standard 5 * which you would expect in somewhere like London, I find with the Czech hotels they have the charm, location and facilities to rate it highly. The Hoffmeister had a boutique feel to it and I cannot fault the staff.
Each traveller has ro make their own judgements on accomodation but I will tell you a bit about the hotel:
Its near the castle which is a short walk up the steps. Its about a 10 min walk from the Charles Bridge and another 10-15 from the old town square (I dont walk very fast).
The staff can help you enough, they hold the door open for you, take care of your luggage, greeted us with a glass of prosecco, and made our stay a comfortable one.
We stayed in a junior suite which was lovely. It had a decent size seating area with sliding wardrobes, queen size bed, tv (no uk channels unfortunately), large bathroom with 2 sinks, showe and a jacquzzi bath which we loved. We had room service twice which was nice although there isnt much selection and it is cery expensive. This was a slight criticism.
Toiletries were not replaced, I agree with the last reviewer with that, but I am sure if you asked they would have given more. We had brought our own so it didnt make any difference to us. The hotel supplied little bits and pieces such as sewing kit, tooth brush, loofah, shaving kit etc which I thought was a nice touch. We had bath robes but they were way to small. We are on the plump side I agree but I think even a size 16 woman would struggle wearing these. This is something maybe the hotel needs to consider although my partner and I found it hilarious. Also bigger towels would have been nice.
We used the spa facilities. Theres a steam room and whirlpool. They are not amazing facilities but adequate and the lady in the spa was so helpful. We had a relaxing massage for 60 mins. Again this was not cheap, it worked out at abou 120 pound for 2 of us! But the masseurs done an excellent job..I cant say it was relaxing but to be fair she did work my muscles and sorted the tension in my neck.
The issue with the tram and noise...our room was over the garden and front road and we slept with the window open each night as I found the room warm and the noise didnt bother me at all, in fact I didnt even notice it. Either im a heavy sleeper or people are overly sensitive to the slightest of noises.
In short, lovely boutique style hotel, helpful staff, nice and clean rooms with good facilities, on the pricey side for the hotel and its food and treatments but they were all good quality.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

I will describe below my experience at Hotel Hoffmeister.

First thing to mention is that THIS HOTEL IS NEVER A 5-STAR HOTEL, as it is UNFAIRLY AND MISLEADINGLY ADVERTISED!!!!

This was our greatest disappointment. We really wanted to spend a nice and decent week-end in Prague, therefore we decided to go for a very good hotel, in spite of a cost higher than we usually spend. We found on booking.com this hotel at a decent price for what it promised to offer (a deluxe room at 223 eur/ 2 nights, breakfast included). Of course, the price is not low, but we trusted the advertisement (info on the hotel, room size, photos etc) and expected to be offered what was promised – a deluxe room in a 5-star hotel.

The „hotel” is rather a pension than a hotel. Its position is very good, very close to the city centre, but it is located just a few metres from the very noise street and tram line.
It is rather a pension, made up of 3 houses, each in a different and sad colour, just as if the owner had bought them separately and enlarged his property step by step. Thus far away from the expectations you could have from a 5-star hotel.
This is about the exterior.

After you enter the hotel, you bump into a small reception and are already welcome by a very worn-out carpet, as if it were an old location, with no focus on making you feel comfortable and giving you the feeling of having well spent your money. Let’s not mention the fact that everywhere the hotel is advertised as a „luxurious” one, which is obviously not the case and misleads the potential customers.

The fact that the hotel is not a 5-star one can be easily noticed on some advertising materials found in the room (besides many materials presenting the hotel as a 5-star one, you can find some others, presenting it as a 4-star one, which is closer to the reality).

The room is quite small (not as promised at the moment of booking) and really ridiculous that there is no hallway so directly from the door, you jump into the bed! So no place to sit down and put your shoes on and no hanger to hang your coat! Again, this cannot be offered for a deluxe room in a luxury hotel. And when we told this to the staff, the response we got is that what we expect can be found in a junior suite only!!!

Some other disappointing things in the room: only 1 tooth brush, no bathrobes. In the next day, only half of the toiletries ( shower gel, shampoo) were replaced. So in case of my long hair, it was only me who could wash the hair in the 2nd day!
It was also very hilarious to notice that in the 1st day we had 2 bags of tea that we consumed, and in 2nd day we weren't offered anymore. So 2 tea bags for 2 days for 2 people!

I hope no one from the hotel will reply to this post saying that we weren't offered the suitable room, as advertised when booking, because we refused the 1st room offered. That is why I will explain this aspect as well here.
In one of the review on this website, someone said that the room they had received at this location was very noisy because of the tram line passing just a few metres from it. So I decided to make sure I wouldn't’t have the same surprise and let them know when booking that we needed a quiet room. As the hotel was presented as including a garden, I imagined a garden as quiet place (usually there is an inner garden and the rooms overlooking it are quiet). Therefore I added to the request of having a quiet room that, „if possible” (so not obligatory as in case of the quietness requirement), the room should face the garden. The room we were first offered was one facing the garden (which is a small, open terrace, facing the street and the tram line), therefore very noisy. The room was as just described above. Then, we were offered another one, facing a ruined old building, but pretty quiet. So we accepted it. Both rooms were presented as deluxe rooms and as the only available rooms that day. In the 2nd day, we asked whether another room, meeting the expectations presented at the moment of booking, could be available. We were then presented a room even worse than the first 2 and again, sold as a deluxe one.
I do not even want to imagine what a regular room in this hotel means.
When we told to the guy showing us the rooms that what they offer is far from being 5-star conditions, he simply told us that if we want 5-star conditions we should go to Dubai! It was pretty shocking to hear such an answer and we told him that their hotel should not mislead the customer and be presented as a 5-star one if they cannot offer them, because it’s simply not fair to compare it to Hilton or Marriott. And again, very relaxed, the guy gave us a funny answer, i.e: Why didn't you go to Hilton then?!
So I let you judge these answers and draw your own conclusions about the staff.

We repeatedly asked to have some words with the owner/manager of the hotel (because at every complaint the staff presented to call the manager), but never did she show up during our stay, nor did the staff tell us anything about her coming or not-coming.

The spa. This is again very misleading and unfair in the way it is advertised. As the entire hotel, the spa facilities are presented as luxury ones, which again is a lie. There is jacuzzi able to welcome not more than 8 people and a normal steamed bath. And that’s all. So in case more than 5 couples would like to enjoy the spa facilities, it would be impossible. But the ridiculous part about the spa comes only now: it is free of charge for few hours/day only, so if you want to go at your own convenience, you will need to pay for it! I personally have never faced this in a hotel!
And the fact that there are no bathrobes in the room and you have to go dressed up, change your cloths and put on your bathrobe there, is again pretty uncomfortable.

It would't be fair not to recognize that the room was clean, the breakfast and the location quite good, but from this to advertise the hotel as offering luxury conditions there’s a long way! So in case you need a regular clean room, without anything special, close to the city center, this place would fit your needs. But if you want very good conditions, go another place!
In the city center, we found nice hotels, advertised as 4-star ones, where the rooms were at least at the same quality level as Hoffmeister, but at a much better price – 79 eur/night with breakfast included. Maybe the conditions at Hoffmeister can be also very good if you go for a junior suite, but as its price is as high as at well-known, international, high standards hotels, I would opt for the latter alternative.

Enjoy Prague, which is a very nice city, but where the customer orientation is below standards! Pay special attention when exchanging money, as you might be surprised to be offered half than you should in case of buying the local currency! And be ready to experience dirty toilets even in expensive restaurants!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
HoffmeisterPrague, Manager at Hoffmeister & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Dear Madam,

Thank you for your review. We are sorry that you perception is so negative. I will post comments point by point to your review.

"The „hotel” is rather a pension". Dear Madam, please define a pension and hotel. I think we can call it a hotel thanks to the services and amenities offered. Garage, restaurant, 24/7 reception, complete concierge services, porter, restaurant, cafeteria, laundry service, daily newspaper, tea and coffee amenities. My perception from your review is that (5star) hotel is defined by its size say from 200 rooms. I have a notion that anything below your threshold will be regarded a pension. Legally hotel is defined in the Czech republic as a facility with at least 10 guest rooms and a restaurant. Unlike pension is defined as at least 10 rooms and limited range of other services offered. We have more rooms and offer more services than a pension. Noise from a tram – indeed some rooms face a tram line and that is why there are triple glazed windows. We had an inspection from a German travel agency asking about this. We presented the rooms and they concluded that the windows are very well soundproofed. It is a city after all and every location brings something. Noise from night clubs, traffic, pedestrians, police cars. Certain level of decibels is a feature of urban areas. We do our best to prevent it from leaking to the rooms.

I am sorry you did not feel comfortable in our reception. It is small yet it is cozy. There is water, sweets and croissants prepared there are sofas or arm chairs so guests could sit down for a while. The carpets deserve to be changed and that is why we close down the hotel on 22nd January for about 8 days so that we would change them and do some other renovations. The carpet issue however does not concern reception. It is mainly the edges of stairs on stairways.

“Advertising materials”. Well I would expect rather than focusing on the fact that someone might say: isn`t nice that they have branded matches? I do not know why there are four stars on it. In fact no one knows since these are on stock for many years. No one was bothered so far by 4 star symbol on the matches. If this has done any harm or caused a trauma I am terrible sorry on behalf of all our staff.

„The room is quite small“. Well it says on the website where you booked that the size of a room is 26sq m. This is what was provided. Hanger – there is a wardrobe with coat hangers and shoes may be placed there too. No place to sit down – there are 2 club chairs. Junior suite comment – this is true. Junior suite is defined as separate living room from bedroom.

One toothbrush. If 2 were need please call reception. One more would be supplied promptly. We replace empty toiletries. Perhaps yours were not empty. I do not know as I have not seen them. A tea: it is a favour that we offer to guests. Tea bags and coffee are replaced on daily basis. However it is not meant to cover recommended daily fluid intake.

Suitable room. As the room was described on the booking website all the amenities were in place.

Request: in general we do our best meeting guest requests however sometimes it is difficult to satisfy all due to hotel being full. I am sincerely sorry if your request was met partially. The rooms presented to you were the only rooms that could have been offered at given time.

“when we told the guy showing us”. My colleague puts the conversation rather different than you. He says you told him that is not 5star hotel like Hilton or Marriot and that these look different. He told you that also hotels in Dubai look different and that such a comparison can not be done (since both things are different style) and that if you expected a room with separate living room you could have booked a Junior Suite and not Deluxe room which is smaller than Junior Suite and he said that he is sorry that your expecations were different.

You asked to have words with someone. I attended hotel on Sunday morning around 0830 to 0930 for that purpose but you were not there.

The spa: I am sorry that you perceive it this way. I would rather expect you that you would say it is very nice that they have free entry for hotel guests in the morning hours rather than criticism of that you have to pay to attend on private basis in the afternoon. We are in hospitality industry and thus we are hospitable in the morning and in the afternoon reservations are subject to payment. I am sorry but I am used topay for things and services and for a space reserved for myself for defined amount of time. My experience from other hotels is the same or such that you do not have any free access at all. Jacuzzi is a Jacuzzi and not a swimming pool. Thus 8 people capacity is enough (and I would say that it is maybe less). Bathrobe may be requested from reception in case of foreseen spa visit.

We do not offer exchange services in our hotel nonetheless thank you for pointing this out for other travelers. We urge everyone to exchange money only in the office we recommend as we know their rates are very close to the Czech National Bank rates. And I hope everyone will pay special attention to dirty toilets in Pragues expensive restaurants.

Thank you for posting a picture of the carpet. If it is to indicate a stain please be aware that it is a carpet. A carpet with height of about 1 cm and 100% wool. It may have come to your attention that the fabric is placed in a specific direction. If you move the fabric against the specific direction it produces a different shade of color and thus it might be producing a very disrupting element very easily to be confused with a stain. We will pay specific attention to this in the future.

I am very concerned about your negative experience which is in contradiction with many reviews of satisfied guests here on Tripadvisor or elsewhere.

If you wish to employ in future conversation I am available to you at petr.novotny(atsign)hoffmeister.cz

I wish you all the best in 2014.

Petr Novotny
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights. This is a rather small and comfortable hotel. The staff were super helpful and friendly on reception! However our room was very small and dark with only one very small window, it also had only one electricity socket in the whole room. Our bed was quite comfortable although the duvets were not sufficient for the bed, leading to an uncomfortable sleep. We discussed this with the staff and they were accommodating yet did not fix the issue. The bathroom was lovely and well stocked. The rooms were clean and tidy. The breakfast was great. The gentleman who worked in the bar was excellent, we like the bar and restaurant. This was a nice hotel, a bit dated and not 5 star quality but nice none the less.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
HoffmeisterPrague, Manager at Hoffmeister & Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear Madam,

thank you very much for your review. We hope to welcome you again in Prague in the near future. We intend a temporary closure of our hotel from 22nd January for renovation purpose and thus we would be very glad showing you the interiors of our hotel in new look.

Best regards,

Petr Novotny
Brussels, Région De Bruxelles-Capitale, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Everything was perfect: very clean, a fabulous breakfast, near to castle and old town. A young and professional team.
Access from the airport is very simple (30-40 min: bus 119 + metro line A 2 stops) as shown on the website of the hotel which offers many discounts by booking on their website.
If we came back to Prague, I would certainly want to stay at the Hoffmeister and we will recommend it to my friends and colleagues.

The only drawback would be the noise of the trams. Our room overlooked the back of the hotel (the street with the entrance, in fact) so the noise did not bother us too much.

Haifa, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2014

The service was exceptional, the breakfast was perfect, the bed was comfy and the room overall was great. We stayed in the junior suite executive, which had two rooms - living room and the bedroom. The bathroom had a hot tub with jets , a shower and two sinks. The mini bar was included in the price and was refilled daily.
The hotel is located near Malostranska station (both metro and tram), very close. Also, just across the street there are the stairs that go up to the Prague Castle.
Everything is very close, for instance you can walk to the city center up to Wenceslas square in just 25-30 minutes, only 10 minutes to the Charles bridge.
You can buy the tram tickets in the tobacco shop near the metro station, so you don't have to go to the metro stop for that.