“Stylish hotel in Prague” 5 of 5 stars

Design Hotel Josef Prague
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Rybna 20, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Praha 1)   |
Ranked #23 of 668 hotels in Prague
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
“Stylish hotel in Prague”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2013

Very modern hotel in a great location in Prague. Closest attraction being the Republic Square and the Powder Tower.

The hotel has a ton of light as the room was all windows (even around the bathroom). Service was excellent and the breakfast was amazing (**and free if you book direct**). From the get-go, the concierge and staff really went to great lengths to ensure everything went well; I was very impressed.

The room did have some quirks. If you are a light sleeper, I would advise a room away from the street. Ours was facing the street (and I couldn't imagine a better view of the city - truly amazing), but due to the windows, the sounds from the bars at night was rather caucophonous. Additionally, with the glass walls, turning on any lights in the bathroom would light up the entire room at night. With steps and glass doors, etc, a night light of some type is necessary. We left a crack in the window shades to handle this

Those were the only qualms we had, it certainly was a great view so I think that outweighed the issues in the sleep quality category.

Room Tip: We were on the 8th floor facing the city. The view could not have been better. The noise from the st...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear valued guest,

thank you for sharing your experience at Josef.
I´m glad you enjoyed your mornings while having our buffet breakfast.
Also I must agree on the fact that there is a bautiful view on Prague from the 8th floor.

If you like to come next time please feel free to contact us. We would be happy to provide you with our garden view room which might be more convenient for light sleepers.

Have a great day,

1,552 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (178)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Laguna Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Everyone reviews are pretty spot on. Good location, 5 minutes to the Old Town Square. Staff is very good and very accommodating. Nice touch with the free cocktails to unwind from a long flight. Stayed in the Orange Building which is modern and has an industrial feel. Beds are typical of Europe. Room was A-typical which was a little more roomier than than most hotels. Breakfast was included in the price, which made this hotel a great value. One glitch- we came back to our room on our last nights stay and the room was not made up. Small issue but was fix quickly.

Room Tip: inside facing rooms are very quite. even if you ask for a view room there is not much of one.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

thank you for taking your time to leave great review here.
We are happy we were part of your time in historical Prague.

Also I´m glad our welcome gifts as cocktails has been appreciated after your long flight.

Wishing you nice day,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

Me and my lady stayed here 3 nights. great place and best location, you can walk to all city's top attractions so no public transport needed. staff friendly, we booked hotel car back to airport which was a little bit more than taxi, but we were on the way to airport in 5mins in warm car. Free fast wi-fi also good and accessible in the room.only bad point was our room (709) was close to elevator and woke us a couple of times at night and housekeeping were bit early at 9.15am, we would recommend you use the 'DND' sign the night before if you don't want to be woken. But that really is only bad points in this Top hotel.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Russell,

thank you for your feedback.
I´m pleased you had a enjoyable stay and comfortable ride to the airport with our driver.

If you like to visit romantic Prague in the future, we would be happy to organize warm pick up from the airport for you and your lady again.
To make your stay perfect the room far from the elevator could be definitely assigned.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

In short this is by far the friendliest, most well appointed, comfortable and convenient hotel I have ever stayed in. It is simply the best and neither me nor my family will ever stay anywhere else in Prague. Read more to find out why ...

This is the second time I have stayed at the Hotel Josef. The first time was last year on my birthday - we didn't tell the hotel it was my birthday but on the actual day the hotel staff left a birthday note in my room with a small plate of brownies and strawberries. It is personal touches like these that put a hotel which is already ahead of the crowd on another level altogether. We had such a nice stay that time that for Xmas I bought rooms for all my family to come and stay this time round and we have had a wonderful time again.

The hotel is in a great location - 5 mins walk from the old town square and namesti republiky station. 10 mins walk from the Charles Bridge. Cafe bakeshop and la veranda restaurant (both highly recommended) are only a few street from the hotel.

The hotel has a sleek, modern, boutique style. It is warm, welcoming light and immaculately clean (my mum's a stickler for that sort of thing and she was very impressed).

The reception staff are so friendly and cannot do enough for you whether it be booking restaurants and taxis, giving directions and tips/recommendations. I emailed the hotel before we arrived to tell them we were coming and they made sure all four rooms were on the same floor and that everyone got the right room as and when we all arrived. They also left a little gift in each room and a very nice note welcoming us for our return visit. Again such a wonderful gesture!

There is a lovely bar in the lobby run by another top chap who makes a mean cocktail or coffee and looks after his guests' every need.

The rooms are magnificent - we always get severely depressed when we have to leave the bed which in our superior deluxe room was huge and amazingly comfortable. My sister had the deluxe room and it looked like it had the same bed. I know all my family slept exceptionally well as the rooms are very well soundproofed and quiet. Our room had a stylish glass bathroom suite - again immaculate - with lovely Aveda accessories. We even had a view of the cathedral our lady tyn which has a magical glow at night. Mornings always start with a nespresso from the machine in the room or one from the lobby with a small Danish.

I think the hotel has a business suite with computers but it has free wifi throughout so we've never needed it.

I also think there's a gym but we've not used it - no doubt it's great.

They do offer breakfast which I have heard very good things about but am ashamed to say we've never risen early enough for - that'll be the bed's fault!

Not much else I can say to you other than stop reading this and BOOK A ROOM NOW!!!

To the hotel - I can't thank you enough for another really wonderful stay. My father hasn't been on holiday outside the UK for over 5 years. However, I knew when I booked him a room at your hotel we would be in very good hands. He had a simply wonderful time in Prague and that is in no small part down to you! To quote Arnie - we will be back ...and soon!

• Stayed February 2013
HotelJosef, Guest Relations Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear valued guest,

thank you very much for your amazing review and your loyalty to Josef.

We are sinceraly happy we made your stay enjoyable and memorable.
I´m glad you enjoyed our rooms at the 6th floor which we chose for you, our Aveda cosmetics products, Nespresso coffee in the morning and Prague itself.
I really appreciate your kind words about our staff members. You are exact reason why we love to do our job!

I hope we will have a chance to welcome you and your lovely family again at Josef.

By the way next time you should definitely try our buffet breakfast! There is always a possibility to arrange a wake up call for you :)

Kindest regards,
Eva Jilkova
Liverpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

We stated for 4 nights from Jan 31st to celebrate my partners 30th birthday. From stepping into the hotel to stepping into the airport (we used their car to return but not arrive) the whole experience was sensational.
Rooms were spotless as was the whole hotel.
Checked in early after requesting it.
Concierge team arranged reservations before I arrived and after for various things, no fee to them for this and they still did it with a smile.
The staff at reception were constantly helpful, pleasant and nothing was too big an ask.
I ordered champagne to be in our room but we never got round to drinking it, they gave me a refund when I was going to just let someone else enjoy it (couldn't get it on the plane).
Breakfasts were as good as we've ever had
Every possible tourist location was within a 10-15 min walk except prague castle but we walked there anyway.
Advice and recommendations in room was a nice touch.
Shower and bath were both fantastic.
Bar service, bar tender (sorry i never caught his name) was brilliant. He was extremely polite and engaged in conversation when you wanted it but also gave you space wen with others.
We had a DVD put in our room and a bowl of popcorn arrived with it which was unexpected.
I literally cannot fault the place.
Food recommendations were all superb, massage in the sister hotel was the best we've ever had.
I'd recommend anyone going to prague to stay here, we had room 704 which cost us a little extra but it was worth every penny.
This is where we will be staying when we come back to prague and I hope it's soon.
Our last few holidays have been in 5 star all inclusive resorts but this hotel tops those on every point it possibly can. It should be a 5 star and I can only imagine it isn't as it doesn't have a full restaurant. The food we had from the bar was exceptional though I must add.
Thank you for making our trip unforgettable.
Mick and Helen

• Stayed January 2013
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, February 16, 2013
Dear Mick and Helen,

thank you so much for your wondeful comment! It's great to read all these good things about the location, the breakfast and the service of Hotel Josef and we are very happy to have made your birthday in Prague memorable.
Your kind words are a real motivation for the whole team and I will make sure to pass them on to everyone working here.

Thank you for being our guests and we are also looking forward to welcoming you back - Prague is also very beutiful in summer and if you need a reason to stay, why not celebrate your 30 1/2 birthday in Prague?

All the best

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Close to everything.

Great Hotel, great service. I was very glad to pick this Hotel. Contermporany in the middle of historical center.

They said Wi Fi only in the lobby but for me was Wi Fi in the room only.

Chick Hotel

Room Tip: Excellent Loaction. Close to every turist area. Great personel. Just a great Hotel!!! I give ava...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
HotelJosef, Front Office Manager at Design Hotel Josef Prague, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Dear Juan E T,

thank you very much for your comment! We are very happy to hear that you were happy at Hotel Josef and enjoyed the service we provided.

At Josef we have free wifi everywhere in the hotel, however for security reasons the network in the lobby has a different name to the one in the room.

All the best from Prague and we hope to be able to welcome you again soon

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

Pros:
- good location (3 minutes walk from metro)
- strong WiFi signal (in all areas, including the room)
- Bose iPod docking station in the room (upon request)
- at breakfast you have products and equpiment to make your own smoothie, shake (e.g. banana, watermelon, etc.), or juice (e.g. carrot, cuecumber, etc.)
- some fitness equipment can be borrowed in room (upon request)
- small gym, small sauna

Cons:
- no bath tub in the room (but there is a good shower)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear elodTlv,

thank you very much for your nice comment on Tripadvisor! We were all very happy to read that there were many points you enjoyed about your stay.

Hotel Josef has rooms with walk in showers and with bath tubs. We have these different rooms to try to make sure everyone gets a bathroom according to their preference. In order to arrange this, it's best to book directly with our reservations team or speak to the staff at reception.

All the best from Prague

Florentine Rehm

Been to Design Hotel Josef Prague? Share your experiences!