Located within the shadows of the darkened sandstone Baroque Powder Tower, this hotel, housed in a restored building said to date back to 1307, is part of the World Heritage site.This unique feature, which is its biggest attraction, comes with some built in limitations.
The reception and the lobby bar are small and tend to be crowded even when a few guests are arriving or checking out. There are a very few chairs in the waiting area, understandably, because the waiting area is very small. The lift (elevator) is tiny- barely fitting 4 big or 6 small sized persons. Thankfully, the bell-staff carried up our bags - probably through a service elevator tucked away, out of public sight. the stairs are narrow, and since the hotel is rooms are spread over an adjacent building (or two),we had to negotiate our way along narrow corridors that twist and turn along two levels. None of this is a problem, but I was troubled by the faint but persistent smell of cigarette smoke that lingers in the corridors.
The rooms are naturally small, as one would expect in such an old building, barely accommodating a comfortable double bed.The two large windows in my room opened into an uninteresting inner courtyard. The TV occupied the wall at one end, along with an armchair and a small table, leaving no real place for any movement. There was an adequate wooden wardrobe by the entrance door which contained a small antique safe, which opened with key that needed to be collected from the Reception. The room did have a coffee / tea service with a plug in kettle, but the used tea and coffee bags weren't replaced during our stay.The small bathroom had a shower stall so small that it could be called miniature, but the the water was nice and hot.
Breakfast was served in a set of pleasant rooms on the first floor.There is an excellent spread including different hot and cold cereals, eggs, sausages and bacon, two or three vegetarian dishes,several breads and pastries including their famous apple strudel, and fresh fruit.The fruit juice was a tad dilute.
I recommend the hotel for its distinctive turn of the century genteel atmosphere. Though small, the rooms are comfortable. The staff smiles a lot and is helpful for booking local tours and events. at short notice, they got us tickets for an evening concert performed in a nearby church.Most attractions are in walking distance. The hotel is a unique European experience.
- Also Known As:
- Best Western Meteor Plaza
- Best Western Prague
- Prague Best Western
- Best Western Hotel Prague
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- First references to this hotel come from the year 1307. The BW Meteor Plaza is situated directly in the center of Prague next to The Palace Hibernia, Powder Gate and The Municipal House. You can reach Wenceslas Square, The Old Town Square or other places of interest on foot within minutes. All 73 air-conditioned spacious standard rooms are very well furnished with all amenities including shower and/or bath, WC, hair dryer, satellite, wireless high-speed internet access free of charge, IDD telephone, personal safe, coffee/tea maker and mini-bar. There are 5 suites and 10 triple rooms in BW Hotel Meteor Plaza, which express an ambience of largesse, comfort and functionality. Except standard room equipment you will find cosy sitting area with reading lamp, trouser press. Some of the rooms have a hydro maser bath or combination of the bath and a shower bath. Some of our apartments have a special wide screen television. The triple rooms have three separate beds or double bed with sofa bed.Room service is available during limited hours. Are you a keen musician? Especially for you we have the room with a piano.The BEST WESTERN Meteor Plaza is truly in the heart of Prague - everything you'll want to do - business, leisure, vacation activities - it's all at our door step. Because of our central location you can be almost anywhere in the city in just a few moments. Prague's famous attractions such as The Palace Hybernia, the famous Powder Gate and fabulous art nouveau pearl: Municipal House are just 2minutes walk away. You can reach Wenceslas Square, Old Town Square, the legendary Royal Road and other places of interest on foot within a few minutes. You can get easily to the hotel by your own car. Of course you have the possibility of parking in the hotel garage.Our shiny restaurant with terrace is situated on the first floor of the hotel and is open every day for breakfast. Rich buffet breakfast is served from 7AM till 10AM.The ground floor of the hotel has a trendy bar, cosy restaurant and terrace where guests may enjoy a drink in the summer months.Dinners are served in a romantic wine cellar, which answered its purpose already back in 14th century.For those who seek the more solitary rewards of an invigorating workout, the Hotel offers a whirpool and Sauna. Per person per hour, private use, is charged fee 10 EUR.We are focused to provide the independent traveler with maximum comfort by providing the following services:■We can arrange a wide range of events, such as parties, banquets, conferences and more. Our Gothic Wine Restaurant is ideal for encounters of up to 40 persons. Equipment of new communication and interpretation systems is possible on request.■Garage parking directly in the house is available for hotel guest on premises.■Telefax service at the reception desk.■Wireless high-speed internet access in public area free of charge.■Meeting room for 10 people with PC and internet connection.■E-mail delivery for hotel guests.■Excursions.■Tickets to opera, theatre and shows.■Flight confirmations.■Photocopy.■Dinners are served in a romantic wine cellar, which answered its purpose already back in 14th century.■Pets allowed. ■Baby cot on request free of charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotels.com, Tingo, HotelTravel.com, Otel, Expedia and Venere so you can book your BEST WESTERN PLUS Hotel Meteor Plaza reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.