“Absolutely loved the Maximilian” 5 of 5 stars

Maximilian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hastalska 14, Prague 11000, Czech Republic (Praha 1)   |
Ranked #23 of 661 Hotels in Prague
Brisbane, Australia
“Absolutely loved the Maximilian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2007

Comfortable beds, spacious room, great breakfast, friendly staff, free internet access, complimentary tea and coffee available from the Honesty Bar (in a nice lounge area), non-smoking rooms, convenient to the Old Town Square, air-conditioning, fridge, mini-bar, DVD player. This place is great – we were disappointed that we had only booked for five nights. The staff gave us maps and information on arrival and also offered to book theatre tickets for us. Nothing was a problem. They even organised a great breakfast pack for us because we had flights at 6.00am on our day of departure.

A laundry service is available but we found a great laundrette around the corner. To find it, go out of the hotel, turn right, walk around the corner and its about five doors down. They offer 24 hour, 3 day and one week services. It was about 200 Krone for 5kg for the 3 day service (although we dropped our washing off late Monday and picked it up at 7:30am Wednesday.)

There is also a mini-market close by which I think is open until 10pm. Go out the front door of the hotel, turn right, go around the corner, pass the laundrette, and it’s on the next corner.

The Maximillian is about a five minute walk to the Old Town Square and around 15 minutes to the Charles Bridge. There are many restaurants close by. We tried a few which were all okay, although not especially worth mentioning.

I would definitely recommend this hotel!

• Liked — Everything
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
usa
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2007

I booked a 4 night trip to this hotel as I had stayed there previously this year and the location and hotel is great. However, please be aware that the Maximilian has a bad habit of relocating you to other hotels once you arrive. I had purposely booked this hotel because of its location to the Old Town Square and also because I had been there before I knew the area and felt safe. On arrival I was told that due to problems with smoke detectors in some of the rooms I would have to stay at another hotel for the first 2 days and then I could come back for the last 2. I was assured that this other hotel, The Icon, was in the Old Town district and was dispatch by taxi immediately. It was in the New Town and was in a busy main road which was very noisy. I did not know my way around and had to constantly walk backwards and forwards to the Old Town, where I wanted to be, both in the day and then again in the evening. After 2 nights a taxi took me back to the Maximilian. They were not concerned at all about my unhappiness with what had happened and they did nothing to compensate me for my troubles. The trip was very disjointed because of 2 separate stays and unpacking and packing twice. Please be aware that they have a habit of doing this quite often.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — The attitude of the staff on the reception desk
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Skopje, Republic of Macedonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2007

The Maximilian is of the kind of hotel that maintained its classic facade, but has this smooth, minimalist and very stylish, modern interior - starting from the lobby all the way to the looks of the rooms. I cannot think of any complaint - everything was superb: location (nice 5 minutes walks to the Old Town square), spacious stylish rooms, fantastic breakfast, welcoming service.

A wholehearted recommendation for anyone considering the Maximilian.

• Liked — Location, room size & buffet breakfast.
  • Disliked — No complaints at all!
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

I booked this hotel as the end of a long holiday that included Estrasburgo,Nancy,Reims,Budapest and Paris.Arrived in the hotel from the airport at 19hs00 by taxi.No porter was waiting,had to ask someone to help with our lugage.Asked for a room in the highest floor,far from the elevator and in the backside.The only thing they offered was the room in the back.Room 449,only 24 sq.meters.Only 1 umbrella,no adaptor for my cell phone charger,no enough hangers for the clothes.Asked for the hangers and the adaptors.Reception said:No adaptors available,but they could indicate where I could buy one!!!!!!!!!!!
Next morning we were awakened by the maid and the noise of a vacuum cleaner?) in the corridor.I got up and asked her to stop,she showed me her watch and said something in czeck language...
As some reviewers said the breakfast was "spetacular"we were expecting...but,again,nothing special.No fresh orange juice,no bottled water,no pancakes,no waffles,no enough croissants...Had to ask for expresso coffee,because the coffee that was on the table was very "weak".
The next 3 nights I was wakened 1am,2am with the noise of upstair's guests.Called the reception,but nothing happened.

Asked for late check out,untill 4 pm and the manager agreeded.
When I was closing the bill,BEFORE 4 PM,they charged me 50 euros for late check out.I complained and the woman said that late check out was untill 2pm...
Be careful because they try to put you on the "hotel taxi" that charges much more than normal taxis...

• Liked — Breakfast is served untill 11hs30
  • Disliked — Noise of the room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Shropshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2007

We recently stayed at the Hotel Maxilian in Prague for a long weekend to celebrate our godsons 21st birthday.
The hotel is wonderful. The rooms are all non smoking.Some have good views, though most don't. Even the extensive restoration of the front of the hotel didn't mar our visit.
The standard of cleaning was excellent, the reception staff were great and arranged two trips for us. One to a local brewery and one on river boat trip. Both really enjoyable.
Breakfast was excellent with every thing you could wish for.
The only fault (if you can call it that) was that there is not a bar but a Honesty Bar, which most used properly but some took advantage of. Human nature I suppose.

As for Prague you really need to stay for a week or longer, or return for another long weekend to even scratch the surface of this great city.

However if you looking for good food don't eat Czech food as it is really poor, usually over cooked and served warm at best. I was looking forward to dumplings but found them inedible. Still the only one grumble for a great weekend. We will return to both the hotel and Prague in the near future.

• Liked — The overall feeling of relaxation the hotel gave
  • Disliked — No "proper" bar
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
Antwerp
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2007

If there is one thing going in favour of the Maximilian hotel, we would point to the location. It is at the same time in the heart of Prague but away from the tourist infested streets. An oasis of calm. There are plenty of fancy restaurants in the neighbourhood so no lack of dining-options. Rooms are OK and correspond to what you would expect in a 4* hotel. Breakfast is plentiful and service good.
We made reservations through the hotel website (they have special rates which include beakfast). We found these prices to be lower than booking.com website.
One word of caution with regards to the bill. The website advertises prices in EUR. The check-out manager however tried to make us pay the CZK price subsequently converted in EUR at the hotel exchange rate, which increased the bill by 50 EUR. We politely declined.
We would go back and would recommend the Maximilian to other travellers.

Stayed July 2007
Dallas/Fort Worth, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2007

This hotel was by far one of the best hotels I have experianced in all of europe, the staff was very accomadating,the breakfast was well done the rooms were very confortable,it is located within walking distance to great restaurants and shopping. I would highly reccomend this property for your stay in beautiful Prague.

• Liked — The hotel staff was extreamly helpful, We had a 4a.m. checkout to catch are flight and the sent us off with a packed breakfast
  • Disliked — The rooms were a little small ,however they were very well appointed and very clean
  • Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Maximilian Hotel? Share your experiences!