“Loved the Maximilian” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Maximilian Hotel

You added Maximilian Hotel to your Saves list
Maximilian Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hastalska 14, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))   |
Ranked #21 of 663 Hotels in Prague
US
“Loved the Maximilian”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2007

We loved everything about the Maximilian. It is in an excellent location; about 3 blocks from the main square. We walked everywhere. Prague is a beautiful city!!!
The rooms are beautifully decorated and spotless. We had two rooms and one was larger than the other, but even the smaller one was spacious. There was also plenty of storage space. The breakfast was plentiful and offered a great variety of foods.

• Liked — Modern look and feel of the hotel
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2007

This is really a wonderful little hotel in a prime location. We had a great room on the top floor with a sloping roof and views of the rooftops of Prague. Beautiful bathroom etc.

Two complaints: there is no separate concierge (the front desk people handle everything) which is fine, and all were friendly and helpful, except when I asked where some good art galleries (to buy) were, the response I got was "I don't know, I don't buy art." When I travel I don't expect hotel staff to personally shop in the stores I'm looking for or eat in all the fine restaurants, but it helps if they at least know where they are to recommend to their guests.

The other thing I would note is a warning: check whether breakfast is included in your rate. We booked through Expedia and it was not; upon check-out I was charged the equivalent of US$50 per day for two breakfasts--which seemed pretty steep to me. The hotel's taxi service to/from the airport is also about 2x the rate of a normal taxi; you can just ask them to call a normal (AAA) taxi to save a few $$.

All in all a good hotel and I would go back but I will eat breakfast at the cafe around the corner next time!

Stayed July 2007
NYC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

Maximilian is a great hotel, with a great location. With that said, here are some fabs and flaws that were significant to me.

3 minute walk to Old town square (centro). Couple of minutes to all the areas in the Jewish Quarter since its located there. Several restaurants/bars near hotel. A small grocery shop around the corner. Free internet access, with 2 computer stations. One important thing, I blew the fuse when I attempted to plug in my hair straightener. This should not happen. I'm unsure if it was just my room (#243) or the hotel. But I blame the hotel for that. Anyway, breakfast was 40 dollars, enuff said (btw, it was actually the best food I had in Prague but then again I'm an American so every non American reviewer on Tripadvisor deems us as spoiled when it comes to food, which by the way, I am!! Woohoo we have the best food!!!! Ok, back to some pros...honor bar based on whatelse but honesty. You write down your room number blah blah. Prices were surprisingly not bad. Btw, tea and coffee are free. Moving along, we get two free english speaking channels (CNN and some other news related program) and the rest are in Czech so this was definitely unfavorable. Yeah, we are in Prague, who needs to watch TV, blah blah...well you want something entertaining while you're in your room. They have a DVD player so bring your own DVD's because no one would pay 18 dollars to rent movies period. Everyroom should supply an iron. I never got mine though I RSVP for one the day I checked in. Oh the important thing, the room was comfortable...clean...good size...(no tub - just shower)...bed was comfortable.

This pretty much sums up everything. I would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone. Besides, the price is not bad.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — not enough electrical power
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2007

Stayed for three nights at the Maximillan in the Jewish quarter of Prague. The hotel has striking modern design with all the expected conveniences. We found all areas clean and crisp. As mentioned in other reviews, the breakfast buffet was spectacular. The hotel even offers Thai massages. The hotel is a real bargain. Although the front desk staff don't seem particularly happy to be there, they attended to our needs without hassles.

Although all sights are within walking distance, over days of coming and going did make me wish that the hotel was a bit closer to the closest metro stop. It is a pleasant 6-8 block walk but done 2-3 times a day, it can get tiresome.

• Stayed July 2007
Miami Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2007

My partner and I booked a standard twin room for 4 nights in mid-June for 122E/night using the “Special partner rate – minimum length of stay 4 nights” price. The Maximilian is located in the Josefov or old Jewish area. This is one of the most desirable locations in Prague and was walking distance to most of the sights.

The hotel is very modern with all public areas done in a sophisticated and polished style. The breakfast room has a glass roof that allows natural light to fill the pleasing space. The breakfast was exceptional with a large variety of hot and cold items. Coffee, tea and cappuccino were served by the attentive staff. Also in the hotel is an “honesty bar” where one can make their own complementary cup of coffee or sign for a glass of wine or liqueur.

Our room #539 was on the small side and decorated in attractive dark woods, muted colors and black lacquer furnishings. The bath was tiled in white with a luxurious rust marble sink area. There was individually controlled air-conditioning, small frig, desk and cable TV with 3 English stations including the all important CNN. The window looked out over the roof of the adjacent building. Automated louvers controlled the amount of light entering the room. No sound was heard from the halls, adjacent rooms or the outside. The hallways were a bit stark, reminding me of the corridors of a ship.

My only criticism was that some of the front desk staff was less than welcoming. When we had problems dialing an 800 number from our room it was suggested that we “go use the phone booth up the street”, something we were not able to work out. One of the staff was especially unfriendly, never bothering to greet us as we entered.

The bottom line? The Maximilian is a comfortable hotel with an outstanding breakfast. The price is reasonable and it is located in our favorite area of Prague. Some of the staff could have been more helpful but this was the only blemish in an otherwise enjoyable stay.

• Liked — Location and great breakfast, modern decor
  • Disliked — Some of the front desk staff
Chablis, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

The Maximillian hotel was a little oasis of modern luxury right in the heart of the old town in Prague. The reception is cool and bright, as are the rooms and the breakfast area. In the bedroom there are all the amenities you need for a comfortable stay, and I could not get enough of the gorgeous bathroom. I've never seen such a huge shower head! White bathrobes, jelly babies on your pillow and complimentary slippers complete the picture. Breakfast looked absolutely incredible but was slightly pricy (16€) and wasn't included in our booking. Check ahead, but there is Chez Marcel next door who do a lovely continental breakfast for a few euros. Overall a fantastic stay in a wonderful place.

• Liked — The modern design of the hotel and the spa
  • Disliked — nothing!
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2007

I would love to stay at this property again, I won the bid on luxurylink.com. Great location, excelletn breakfast, good service, nice rooms. Loved Prague too!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk