“will go back for second try...out of fairness” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Restaurace Ostrovni

Restaurace Ostrovni
Ostrovni 24, Prague 110 00, Czech Republic (Nove Mesto (New Town))
+420 222 524 561
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #398 of 4,271 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Bar, Cafe, European, Vegetarian, Czech
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Drinks, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Nove Mesto (New Town)
Dover, New Hampshire
“will go back for second try...out of fairness”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

The restaurant/bar downstairs is a nice setting just below ground level. The lighting is dark but cozy, the bar lit nicely and the overall appearance very nice and professional. I had just arrived in Prague for an extended five month stay and the restaurant was just down from my apartment. I stopped in for a drink and to grab dinner. I wanted a martini and thats when "the wheels started coming off the track"...I realize that not every place knows or wants to to know how to make a good martini and most czech pubs are a beer based culture. Having said that the restaurant was advertising cocktail specials and the impression was this was an upscale sophisticated neighborhood restaurant/pub. The bartender didn't know how to make a martini and placed before me a glass of straight out of the bottle shot of vodka. I had asked for a twist in my martini. didn't happen. When i asked for ice and the twist I got the famous czech female "eye roll" and muttering with arms waving as she went back to the kitchen, grabbed a bowl of olives in olive oil and placed before me a wedge of lemon. Was this my failure in communicating? My Czech was in the beginner stage but she spoke very good english and a martini is really not that complicated...anyway, her attitude was one of the rudest i have ever encountered and I got out of there as fast as i could. The restaurant that I then went to next door was able to serve up a decent martini and their food was excellent.
I feel i should go back and try their food and stick with a beer out of a sense of fairness but the management needs to know that they have a LONG way to go in training their staff about customer service...maybe it was just this one person, maybe it was just a bad day...since i have been here I have had many guests from out of the country visit--we have gone to all the establishments in the neighborhood BUT here--I don't want to have my friends have a bad experience with one rude person--the Czechs are very polite, warm when you get to know them, and have a great sense of humor...unfortunately it wasn't the case on my visit.
Prague is a restaurant culture. There are many many restaurants in any one small area and the food quality is usually excellent...the competition must be intense and even if your food is average if you have a friendly waitstaff who make you feel welcome and appreciated you'll come back because its a comfortable friendly warm environment where you feel like you matter and belong.
I hope management reads this...it's a nice setting and could be a "killer" restaurant/pub...but it's not.

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

• Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Benesov, Czech Republic
“nice place with great food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

I visited this restaurant few times in group of 10 people as well as only with my friend. Everytime the service was excellent and the staff was friendly. Food is tasty bier amazing.. They have smoking and non-smoking area... So if you would like to try food and bier, just visit this nice restaurant.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Ávila
“Very rude staff”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We tried the baked sausages with dark beer and the confit duck with Pilsner Beer. The food was ok (specially the sausages) and the beer was very good (as everywhere in Prague) but staff is the most rude people I have ever met. Sorry but their food is not worthy enough to come back and stand to their waitress.

• Visited December 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Sydney, Australia
“Awesome find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

Went to this place twice and both times were great. It's really well designed and would be a good place to go with friends or family. The mains are hearty and delicious, and the "beer snacks" accompany the dark beer Kozel amazingly.

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
“Doporucim tento podnik pratelum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

I have been to Restaurace Ostrovni three times in 2012 (with others) and each time we have had excellent professional service from Lucka and Honza,great Czech food and wine,great atmosphere with music at a sensible level in the background so you can talk easily while dining,also local people dining alongside tourists adds to the atmosphere. I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone who wants to visit Praha and i will be back in 2013!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere