“Welcoming, delicious, and inexpensive” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Staromacek I

Staromacek I
Stupartska 1, Prague, Czech Republic (Stare Mesto (Old Town))
Improve this listing
Ranked #2,068 of 4,272 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: European, Czech
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Neighborhood: Stare Mesto (Old Town)
Chicago, Illinois
“Welcoming, delicious, and inexpensive”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

I think this is on Dlouha, not far from the main square. it doesn't look like much from the outside, but it is bigger in than out. We sat in a back room, where we were welcomed when many other restaurants refused to even take our names as we did not have a reservation on a Friday night. It was wet and cool out and they warmed us up with their delicious soup. Entree portions are huge, so beware. While we were eating there, many local policemen came in for their evening meal. It was nice to know that it is such a popular place with the locals, as well. Everyone who waited on us spoke very good English, and helped us to pronounce "thank you" in Czech,

Visited May 2013

• Polish first
“Traditional Czech Restaurant with a perfect Atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Our first night here and we wanted a little traditional Czech restaurant that wasn't full of tourists. This was perfect! Service was as warm and friendly as the atmosphere and decor itself. The food was amazing. A must is to try their own Mulled Wine which is presented and made in front of you, best mulled wine in Prague!! Highly recommended to anyone who likes abit of culture.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
huddersfield
“Try the Honey Mead!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We called in here (on Karlova St) because the guy outside was really friendly and we were in need of thawing out! We didn't really need anything to eat but I had the traditional potatoe soup in bread - very cheap but tasty and just hit the spot. We were going to have a hot wine but the waiter persuaded us to have Medovina which he said was still warm but nicer - and it was! Came in a massive fishbowl glass although the amount of drink was only a normal wine glass size which had been heated. It was gorgeous - a really mellow drink that you could feel going down and warming you through - as it was a blizzard outside it was just the ticket! I would definitely recommend.
The staff were really friendly and didn't mind that you weren't ordering a meal.
We went back the following day for the same order - only because it was snowing again!!

• Visited February 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Me,my wife and my small baby stopped there casually and honestly were a bit scared to chose like this in the middle of touristic area.
We were lucky because the place was very nice,the waiter very kind,professional and was able to speak a bit of italian with me and perfect russian with my wife!we follow his suggestion and we took the pork leg with senape and crauti and my wife the duck cooked in traditional way! The portions were gigant, 1400 grams of pork and half big duck!all well cooked!we took also a crepes with abricoat for our baby,1 big bottle of water and 2 coffe'. We paid only 810 coronas + the service that was suggested to be only 61 coronas.... Of course the waiter deserved more!!!!
Francesco and Evgenia