“Does it get any better?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #549 of 4,249 Restaurants in Prague
Cuisines: Central European
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
“Does it get any better?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

It would seem the locals here have something in common with aussies. They like a well prepared slab of meat.

My only regret is not eating here on the first night, as i would have returned for the next two nights while in prague also!

I Had the half duck and rather than being a small duck, with this portion i would have been able to feed my family of five at a stretch.

My friend had the pork skewer where each of 5 medallions would be served as a meal elsewhere.

Portion size is only the start with this place though. The duck itself was crispy on the outside and melt in your mouth throughout. I dont even normally get duck but i am happy I did this time.

I did not see anything awry with the bill being 680kn for 4 pints of beer and 2 mains. If i had realised the bill contained a service charge maybe i would not have rounded up to 800kn. Given it was as good as it was they deserved every penny.

I notice some of the negative reviews seem to happen when they are busy. I should add that we went on a wednesday night and it was only 30% full so maybe this is why we had both awesome service and food? Anyway i can only go on what i experienced and my compulsion to write this review actually stemmed from the negative reviews i read on here. Fortunately i suspect i read said reviews retrospectively of my experience as I would not have gone here if I had read them before hand.

If you are near old town square in need of a hearty meal this place is the ticket!

• Greek first
  • Polish first
“Great value, top food, quality restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2013 via mobile

Cannot believe that this restaurant does not have a higher rating. For the Aussies out there, we just had a 5 star meal and 4 pints of beer for $20 each in this place including tip. In Sydney this quality of meal would have cost $70 each and you would spend as much on a beer and hotdog at the footy. There must be some culinary champions out there with moths in their wallets based on some of these reviews. Great value and top notch food.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Netherlands
“Worth a try”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I was walking around on my first day in Prague, and wanted something simple and really Czech. i normally eat vegeterian, but I sometimes do eat meat, so I decided for this one because it has its own beer. And the beer is really good! I also liked the starter (something with saucages in a beer sauce), but was less impressed with the main (chili goulash) as the meat was not great.
Nevertheless, all in all it was not a disappointment and really cheap. But do not expect high cuisine!

Visited April 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Good value food beer, and a no smoking area downstairs”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

Reading other reviews funny how different people have different experiences. Like many Czech bars and restaurants you don't get an itemised bill, but I though everything was served efficiently and wa stasty and value considering 100yds from Old Town Square. In fact, after meal, I returned to watch the remainder of football on TV upstairs.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Munich, Germany
“service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

i dont like that they put additional 10kr and then plus 10% service fee explicitly on bill Sure, I always give tip and often more than 10% in any restaurant. But their service may not deserve that 10%.
I went to this one because of a beer tour ;(